Subject: Thoughts on the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R C
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am very interested in what looks to be a unique solitaire theme. In grad school, I took a fantastic class on the American Presidency. Much of the class was based on a book by Stephen Skowronek called The Politics Presidents Make. As I remember it, the overall theory was that a president's legacy was defined by the prior presidency and the overall cyclical political system that our democracy creates. I will definitely read this book again in the coming year.

Just some thoughts on the game:

1.) I like the fact that foreign policy seems to take center stage. I think traditionally this is where a president, especially in his or her second term really is able to have the freedom to maneuver and not have their hands tied by a gridlocked domestic scene focused on the next election.

2.) I would like to see intelligence play a key role. A policy maker with a strong intelligence network is apt to make good decisions (hopefully). I'm interested to see how the intelligence community is worked into the game.

3.) As for the mechanics of the game, I'm hoping that this is not procedural and dice heavy where every turn you are making rolls for every single possible event.

Just some opening thoughts. Looking forward to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I also quite look forward to this game!

As to your thought about the role of the intelligence community, here's an excerpt from the latest InsideGMT piece on the game:

Quote:
I spent a few months tracking down the leadership of a huge (level 4 is highest in the game) Middle East Terror Group, and finally got actionable intel on their locations near the end of turn 1. I gave the go ahead for a large SoF Raid in spite of the fact that the target location was deep in Indian country. Unfortunately, things did not go well; the terrorists somehow got wind of our intentions and the raid failed with heavy US casualties and the Terror leadership cell scattered.

(http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=2450)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Nice. Great example of tactical intelligence (that failed). I was also thinking of long term, strategic intelligence. What if during your time as president, your intelligence community had a developed network of sources in the Chinese military. You might be able to make better decisions and have an idea of Chinese plans. Maybe negate some of the event cards??

Anyway thanks for pointing me to the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.