Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a huge lot of dice today, was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on what to use to fill the pips on plastic/bakelite/acrylic dice to make the surface smooth/blank . Someone had mentioned to use resin, but that doesn't seem too cost affective. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need them blank? What is your ultimate goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
If you don't mind them getting smaller, you could always sand them down with a belt sander and then polish them after.
You could also buy stickers or glue cut out faces to the dice covering the pips on them.
If you are looking for blank dice though, I bought a set via Amazon from Chessex.
http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Special-Dice-White-Opaque/dp/B...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wanting to repurpose several hundred old dice for making games , diy projects etc.... Blank dice are super cheap to buy in bulk. I guess I could always glue them together and make an interesting dice tower made of dice, or make terrain out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
was out in the shop and forgot that the old automotive bondo sticks to about anything, going to try that out, 1 gallon container should be more then enough. The things we do when we are bored :S lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Bondo would work perfectly. It will definitely take up some of your free time though.

If you are using the dice just for prototypes and print-and-play games, there is no need to fill in the pips. Just print out some labels and stick them right on top of the pips. For a standard 16mm die with rounded corners, you'll want a label 14mm square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assumed any sticker would work just as well covering pips as it would on pip-less dice. I just put stickers on a few I haven't played or tested them much, anyone have a longer experience with this? I was just thinking if I liked it well enough I would put a coating on it anyways (being a pip dice or not being then covered with a sticker that could potentially come off)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used blank dice, but I have made over a hundred custom dice by just putting stickers over the unfilled pips. You can't tell they were even there.

You can buy hollow glass lamps to fill with whatever you like, seen these filled with dice for decoration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
If you're still doing this and Bondo doesn't work, you could try JBWeld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some jb weld, pretty expensive stuff for filler. I picked up some testers plastic modeling putty(contour putty). amazing stuff for filling gaps and pips. works great on figures where miliput and greenstuff wont seep into cracks. highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:
Blank dice are super cheap to buy in bulk.

Hmm this seems to be wrong in my experience, regular D6 dice are cheaper than blank dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
wolvehunde wrote:
Blank dice are super cheap to buy in bulk.

Hmm this seems to be wrong in my experience, regular D6 dice are cheaper than blank dice

you can get blank dice for roughly 10-12 us dollars for 100 16mm dice, which is about the same as ones with pips, but I had ended up with several hundred from someone else for just a few cents each, I didn't want them to get thrown away. Seemed like a waste.

I think dice prices always depends on manufacturer/quality etc.. I know chessex makes some really nice dice, but for scratch build projects they are too expensive.

I wish I could find a supplier for the old style hardwood blank dice. (the heavier style found in some of the earlier board games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.