Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Could anyone give me a quick overview of how this game manages hidden movement and fleet positions? I thought nothing like this existed and I'm very curious... I also happen to be trying to put together a space/naval game (not intending to publish or anything, just making the perfect game for me) and I would love to get some ideas on managing unknown enemy forces to drive conflict.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramito wrote:
Could anyone give me a quick overview of how this game manages hidden movement and fleet positions? I thought nothing like this existed and I'm very curious... I also happen to be trying to put together a space/naval game (not intending to publish or anything, just making the perfect game for me) and I would love to get some ideas on managing unknown enemy forces to drive conflict.

Thank you!

Each player has his own map, hidden from view of his opponent. Both players search using subs, surface units, and aircraft - subs and individual ships search their own hex, while task forces and aircraft can search their own plus adjacent hexes. During the search process, a player announces the hex(es) he wishes to search, rolls a die, and consults a table. Depending on how well he rolls and the various modifiers, the search result may vary from no useful information up to an exact breakdown of the number of ships and their type in the hex. The mid-range results offer the hex location but allow the searched ('defending') player to fudge the number of ships a bit (by +/- 1 or 3 depending on the result).

As you can see, the search process reveals information about the searching player too; his opponent knows where his search assets are operating thanks to the need to call out the target hexes. I think this is a reasonable compromise for the sake of playability, and is close to as good as you're going to get short of an umpired game.

Hope this helps - good luck with your design!

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Hey!

Over 4 years later but its awesome you took the time. Thank you very much!

Yeah, the system sounds very interesting and fun to play. Maybe a bit fiddly for modern standards. But as you say, short of an umpired game it is pretty straight forward.

My design has evolved a lot since back then. I can almost never play test (I give priority to playing games in my collection instead) so I have to throw a lot out each time I do.

Probably this mechanic is irrelevant at the current state, but I'll let it brew in my head.

Again, thank you very much. (Very concise description, by the way).

Ramon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramon, glad to be of help. We've been playing around with this title and "Scratch One Flat Top!" recently so I stumbled across your question when I was poking around the game page. I noticed how long ago you posted and wondered if you were even still monitoring the topic! Again, best wishes with your design - if anything has made it out of your brain and onto the page, you're miles ahead of me and my own grand dreams of game design.

Take care, and see you around the Geek!

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.