Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Australian Games Expo 2007 - Accomodation Offer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

After the success of last year I gathered and listened to as much feedback as possible. One of those suggestions was helping the interstate travellers with acommodation options.

On our local club website I have put up a table listing various accomodation options.

The good news is that the Hume Inn is offering a special deal to freeze their 2006 prices for Expo stayers in 2007.

In addition if 30+ gamers stay at the hotel they will offer their function room at no cost so we can social game all evening after the Expo closes and on the Monday for those that wish to stay till then. This means that you can game till late and then walk 10 metres to sleep!!!

The direct link to the acommodation pages of the Border Games site is -

http://www.bordergamesaw.com/Major%20Events/BG%20MEvents%20E...

I hope this is helpful. Phone numbers and hotel websites have been provided on the page also.

My next job is to see what chartering a coach would cost from the capital cities.

I have not posted this thread in all the state folders. Is there an easy way to ensure that the other states see this without upsetting the Geek police?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
edit: i asked a stupid question.

so why is it held in albury? i expected sydney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question and it was covered pretty well last year but you may be unaware of this.

In brief because the organiser of the event is based in Albury\Wodonga.

I will be posting up further details shortly and seeking feedback from gamers on the 2007 event in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
ah thats a good reason ill definatly have to attend when im back in australia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How man people to you expect to attend?

It seems like it's mostly for Euro games - would that be a correct assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the double rooms have two single beds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just add here that we stayed at the Hume Inn last year and it was comfortable and clean, with quite large rooms and VERY friendly owner/operators. Also plenty of parking. We rebooked on the spot.

The function room is big and would be great for after-hours gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
How man people to you expect to attend?

It seems like it's mostly for Euro games - would that be a correct assumption?

I think that the event is really aimed at the general public - it's intended as an Expo, to promote games and gaming.

As it is combined with the Australian Settlers & Carcassonne championships, though, it has become a de facto convention as well - which is why getting people to stay at the hotel with the big function room is important, because the Expo venue is only available during business hours and we want to be able to play lots of games in the evenings as well as during the day.

According to the official site http://www.austgamesexpo.com/ , there were 1000 people at the expo last year. I'd guess that maybe a quarter of those were "Gamers" as opposed to members of the public (do we call them "potential gamers"?) - that is just a guess and might be completely off though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. My sister lives in Austrailia and I have often considered trying to get distribution our pirate game. So I'm just keeping an eye out for info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Melissa - your comments are pretty well on the mark as usual.

This year the Australian Diplomacy Championships have also been added to the event.

More info will follow in the coming 7-10 days under an Expo Tournament thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to Euro Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a rough drawn map here and it shows most rooms as having 1 Double and 1 Single bed. Then there are a few rooms with slightly different configurations.

This information is from October 2006 however but I don't see why it would be all that different now.

I recommend going to the website and getting in contact with them directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil,

As you may possibly remember we stayed there last year and booked rooms for this year before we headed back to Melbourne from the Expo last year.

Given that it is Albury in Winter, can you ask them about heating in their function room? We used it one night last year and well, the only appropriate expression I can think of with out making people reach for the Report a Concern button is Brass Monkey Weather. Some sort of heating will be mandatory meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
this is probaly why this sort of thing isnt held in canberra during winter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I remember you saying that last year.

If we get the room for free based on 30+ gamers staying there our games club will pay to hire heating units!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they had heaters up there, they just weren't on.

We have just confirmed our booking of 2 rooms for 3 or 4 adults and 2 kids - not sure if they will count towards your tally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I posted this in another thread, but nobody was reading it:

OK, it now being 2007 I started thinking about whether I could make it to the event this year. I have just enough frequent flier points to get myself to Albury and to take my wife and myself to Melbourne to see Miss Saigon for our anniversary.

There is, however, one big problem for me. To make it to any of the tournaments I have to be at the convention at 8AM on the Saturday, but the earliest flight has me getting in to Albury at 9:45. To get there earlier has me leaving Brisbane around midday on the Friday costing me a day's work, a night in a hotel and, most importantly, most of my daughter's seventh birthday.

To the organizers: is there any possibility of starting the tournaments later on Saturday morning? I'm sure most people would be happy to play a bit later in to the night. 8AM is a big ask for interstate visitors. I could just come down without entering the tournaments, but it would seem a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa just tell them you are Expo people and it will count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

I have an Expo meeting tomorrow and will raise it as I think your point is a good one.

Up front though it is the cost of the venue to 8pm that is the main issue (in my opinion) as most gamers wouldn't be too worried.

Moving Carcassonne to a 2-player format this year may give us more flexibility in the timing.

I'll work on some models tonight and take them to the meeting tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Melissa just tell them you are Expo people and it will count.

Oh, they know that. I just wasn't sure whether they would count the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the kids walk in wearing a necklace made of meeple or a BGG t-shirt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Have the kids walk in wearing a necklace made of meeple or a BGG t-shirt!

Well duh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
I posted this in another thread, but nobody was reading it:

OK, it now being 2007 I started thinking about whether I could make it to the event this year. I have just enough frequent flier points to get myself to Albury and to take my wife and myself to Melbourne to see Miss Saigon for our anniversary.

There is, however, one big problem for me. To make it to any of the tournaments I have to be at the convention at 8AM on the Saturday, but the earliest flight has me getting in to Albury at 9:45. To get there earlier has me leaving Brisbane around midday on the Friday costing me a day's work, a night in a hotel and, most importantly, most of my daughter's seventh birthday.

To the organizers: is there any possibility of starting the tournaments later on Saturday morning? I'm sure most people would be happy to play a bit later in to the night. 8AM is a big ask for interstate visitors. I could just come down without entering the tournaments, but it would seem a shame.

Okay we have the Expo centre until 8pm, which will allow us to start and finish a little later. Just how much later I can't say yet but I'll look into it.

Some feedback here would be welcome. Would people prefer to start at 10am and finish at 8pm, have dinner and return to the hotel for social gaming?

Or would people prefer to start at 9 and finish at 6\7pm and have dinner allowing them to sit down at 8pm to start gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Some feedback here would be welcome. Would people prefer to start at 10am and finish at 8pm, have dinner and return to the hotel for social gaming?

Or would people prefer to start at 9 and finish at 67pm and have dinner allowing them to sit down at 8pm to start gaming?

Well, for me personally being able to get there from the flight that is due in at Albury at 9:45 would be a big help. That would be cutting it very fine, of course. I don't mind how late into the night we go, but then I'll be there on a weekend away without family - for those with partners and kids it would probably be a different story.

By the way, how long does it take in a cab from the airport to the venue? I would probably pre-book a taxi that other attendees could share. None of this would help if the flight was very late, of course. Does anyone know how reliable QantasLink is at getting the Sydney->Albury flight off on time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Actually, just another suggestion, and I don't know how strict the tournament rules are, but would there be any possibility of allowing people who know in advance that they might not be able to make the first session to have a make up session late on Saturday?

Otherwise, if the the worst comes to the worst, what about allowing a forfeit and then get the minimum points for the round or something?

Sorry to be troublesome - if this all becomes too difficult then I will probably still come but not enter the tournaments. I may be the only one affected, but if there are other people it might be worth trying to work something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.