Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Blocks in Afrika» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Danzig to Hell Campaign w/ Navy AAR April 1940 - Quick Weserung Log rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am playing a solo campaign of Blocks in Europe (combining Blocks in the East, Blocks in the West and Blocks in Afrika). However, it won't be a completely linear thing.

In general, the war in Europe before Barbarossa has little interest for me in Grand Strategy games. What I really want is a “Barbarossa to Hell” campaign, but that option doesn't exist with Naval units. My general plan is to play the game up to 1941, see how close I can get to a historical result and then...

Reset! I expect that when I get to 1941, I'll simply re-do the setup of the units prepping for Barbarossa the way they are set up in that scenario, or do some approximation of that setup based on how well I've managed the German forces. It will be interesting to see how well I do handling things like the Wehrmacht Reforms, and getting German units into position. I think I'll do so poorly at that as to make a solo version of Barbarossa not very much fun. Along those lines, I have no interest at all in the Russian limited wars. I'm not going to play any Russian turns at all until Barbarossa, then I'm going to set their forces up for that.

When 1941 arrives, I'll probably leave my situation in Europe proper however I've created it, or as close as possible after taking units that need to be prepped for Barbarossa and putting them into position. I'm not sure yet how I'll handle that. But at any key moments I reserve the right to reset and do more historical setups than what I've created by playing the game. The game won't be much fun if I am not able to get the Western forces prepped to launch Overlord, will it? So this won't be one seamless play through, but I hope it will be interesting to those of us who follow this wonderful game, and I am sure it will be fun for me.

April 1940 – Axis

The German war economy is slowly but surely demonstrating ruthless efficiency. Virtually all forces in the field are fully manned and equipped, only some armor units still waiting for the last delivery of Panzers. A squadron of cruisers has left the dry dock where they were refitting and modernizing. Paratroops have finished extensive training operations and stand at the ready. Massed artillery is looming just out of view of the ill prepared western troops. Reports from France that her army is in tatters abound. It is an uncharacteristically sunny April, with even the North Atlantic and Baltic seas free of any significant storms.

In Italy, patriotic feelings are stirring as the Regia Marina displays newly christened ships and proudly sails the Mediterranean in support of Italian possessions in Afrika.

Quote:
Germany finished stepping up units for Fall Gelb except for armor that will arrive next turn, saved 6YPP, 1RPP, 5WPP. Italy built a bomber step, made Il Duce a 4 step unit, added a CA step and some artillery / infantry.

Weserubung – Germans send 6 NU accompanying 2 GU to invade Narvik, 2 GU to invade Oslo, and 1 GU to invade Copenhagen. UK assists Norway only. Two interception attempts needing 2 or better (CV bonus / 5 block fleets so quadruple bonus / tech malus). Ark Royal intercepts, Indomitable fails.

Combat:

Germany
2BB, 1BB, 3CA, 2CA, 4DD, 4DD

UK
2CV, 2BB, 1BB, 3CA, 4DD

First combat round – UK DD's score 2 hits, tech bonus eliminates 1 hit (German DD & both ground units), German DD's score 1 hit (British DD's)

Round 2

British BB's score 1 hit, discarded by tech advantage. On final rolls of the round, GE DD's score 3 hits! British DD down to 1 step, CA to 2, British fleet retreats.

Oslo:

Norway
1 SHQ, 2 Inf, 3 Fighters

Germany
3 Inf, 3 Inf, 5 Bomber, 5 Bomber

Oslo falls, but costs Germany 1 White and 1 Red air step.

Denmark surrenders 2 units, so 2 YPP, after the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="fatgreta"]
Quote:
Two interception attempts needing 2 or better (CV bonus / 5 block fleets so quadruple bonus / tech malus). Ark Royal intercepts, Indomitable fails.

Rolled a "1"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Were there five blocks or six in the German fleet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Rolled a "1"?

Probably looking through the wrong end of the binoculars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grogers64 wrote:
Were there five blocks or six in the German fleet?

There were two German fleets, 1 with 5 blocks and 1 with a single block. I wasn't sure about that, but I thought it said that more than one fleet could accompany the GU, now I wonder if I should have sent one GU with each fleet.

And yes, the Indomitable rolled a 1, sadly for the British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.