Subject: Skillcard deck variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading through this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/754475/building-seventh-ski...
-Some really creative ideas for a 7th skilldeck, but I was thinking of slightly modifying the 6 original skilldecks as a possible PBF variant for later - so i'm hunting for your ideas!

What I was thinking was keeping the 21 core cards the same for the first 5 decks:
eight [1]'s
six [2]'s
four [4]'s
two [2]'s
and a 5 ...

= 21

Full decks are an extra 14 cards to make 35 total, which at the moment consist of:
five [0]'s
one [1]
one [2]
two [3]'s
two [4]'s
two [5]'s
One [6]

so these were the ones I was thinking of modify to give players more options, but i'd like to keep the skillpoint balance mostly the same, so i'll be using this framework for it.
What i'd quite like is for all card types to have options on diceroll modifications or interrupt plays - only Tac/Eng can modify dicerolls, currently, and all interrupts are positive; treachery cant interrupt, which is something I wanted to change to give the cylon players more to do.

I'll post some ideas soon, i'll just set this up as an introduction for now so I can see what you guys come up with as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of cards to replace 'major victory', value [1] and [2]
(Since Major victory almost never gets used for it's effect anyway)
So maybe a diceroll modifier for the leadership deck:

Quote:
Unnacceptable failure ([1]&[2])
When a player is about to roll a die, discard this skillcard to instead roll the dice twice. You may choose which diceroll you want to keep.

and maybe one for the politics deck to replace 'negotiation'

Quote:
Gerrymandering ([5])
Play this card immediately before a die is rolled. After seeing the result, you may choose to nullify that result
(Can not be played when jumping the fleet at the '-3' space)

maybe one for the pilots as a diceroll interrupt as well:
(It's powerful, but i'll set up some treachery effects later that make the cylon raiders more dangerous, so the humans will need something like this)

Quote:
Signal reinforcements ([3],[4]&[5])
Play this card immediately before a die is rolled
You may activate half that many vipers to launch or move (but not attack)
(Fractions rounding up)

(replaces 'run interference')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the treachery deck I was going to have it match the framework from the other decks, but have the 'reckless' effects work more like they did in Pegasus than in daybreak:
Some treachery cards have additional bad effects if a check is reckless, but all will still have some bad effect even if it isnt.

Quote:
Raider Control ([1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[2],[2],[2],[2],[2],[2])
(skillcheck effect - only resolve once per crisis)
Each revealed cylon player may choose to move 1 raider to an adjacent space sector, or place 1 raider into sector [1]
If there are no revealed cylon players, place 2 raiders into sector [1]

My new core staple of the revealed cylons arsenal: as well as being slightly negative in skillchecks, revealed cylons will aggressively be moving raiders to where the humans are most vulnerable, perhaps even bypassing viper defenses to move into sectors with defenceless civilians... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Basestar Repair ([3],[3],[3],[3],[4],[4],[5],)
(Movement or action, cylon players only)
Select a damaged basestar on the main game board. Remove all the damage tokens on that basestar, and shuffle them back into the pile of available damage tokens

A cool way for cylons to beat the cheese-tactics where the humans intentionally leave a basestar without it's weapons or hangar deck functional, and then dont bother to finish it off. (In order to potentially block new basestar placements due to the 2-limit on basestars))

Other than that, this is a powerful negative card in a skillcheck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TREACHERY
Only variants I came up with is from Daybreak, if 3 or more Dradis Contacts are in a skill check, add a basestar to the front of Gally, and perhaps roll 50/50 to put a civvy behind it.

If 3 or more Baits are in a skill check, activate all heavy raiders, but no centurions.

Speaking of which, playing Daybreak with your proposed set would make Treachery more prominent with Adama's special, and make All Hands On Deck less so. Either of those aren't necessarily good or bad, but just thought I'd point that out.

I do miss not having any actions on skill cards that cylons could play, but since they don't get that many actions anyways, probably not that big of a deal. At least there was Sabotage and Special Destiny from Pegasus that don't take actions.

Starfox4 wrote:
A couple of cards to replace 'major victory', value [1] and [2]
(Since Major victory almost never gets used for it's effect anyway)
So maybe a diceroll modifier for the leadership deck:

Quote:
Unnacceptable failure ([1]&[2])
When a player is about to roll a die, discard this skillcard to instead roll the dice twice. You may choose which diceroll you want to keep.

and maybe one for the politics deck to replace 'negotiation'

Quote:
Gerrymandering ([5])
Play this card immediately before a die is rolled. After seeing the result, you may choose to nullify that result
(Can not be played when jumping the fleet at the '-3' space)

maybe one for the pilots as a diceroll interrupt as well:
(It's powerful, but i'll set up some treachery effects later that make the cylon raiders more dangerous, so the humans will need something like this)

Quote:
Signal reinforcements ([3],[4]&[5])
Play this card immediately before a die is rolled
You may activate half that many vipers to launch or move (but not attack)
(Fractions rounding up)

(replaces 'run interference')
A lot of die rolling. I think this may be over the top.

FWIW, I liked Major Victory b/c it encouraged players to destroy basestars, and centurions when it was close towards the end of the game. No, it didn't get played often, but even a shot at +1 Morale would be too much for something that could be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 14 low-value core cards: ([1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[1],[2],[2],[2],[2],[2],[2])

To add more variety I was thinking of doing an even split, 7&7.
Half would be standard:

Consolidate Power
Executive Order
Launch Scout
Evasive Maneuvers
Repair

The other half would be similar, but slightly modified just to give players more variety in their options.

Power sharing (movement or action)
select 2 other players. Both of these players may draw 1 skillcard of any type.
(requires trust, rather than normally CPing selfishly, but more versatile as it can be played as a movement)

Synergy (movement or action)
select 2 other players. Both of these players may move or take an action.
(requires greater trust, rather than normally XOing just 1 person selfishly, but more versatile as it can be played as a movement, and multiple locations can be activated in the same turn.)

Analyze Dradis (skillcheck effect)
If the current player is a human player, they must view the top card of the crisis deck.
The card must stay on top. do not risk a raptor.
If the current player is a cylon player, they draw 1 tactics skillcard.
(partial loyalty check on human players. it would be interesting to play this one someone and see what they say about the next crisis, and therefore their advice for the next players turn.
Cylon players usually stick to RBT skillsets, this allows them to expand for free and have more options later.

Viper Coodination (skillcheck effect)
The current player may activate a viper, or nominate a pilot character in a space area.
If a pilot is nominated, they may activate their viper twice, or destroy a raptor and reveal a loyalty card. (you may not nominate yourself)

Technical advice (skillcheck effect)
The current player must select another character.
This character may play a repair card, or draw 1 engineering skillcard
(Smart human players can get an engineer in position in preparation for playing this to get a free-repair done.
alternatively, this is a similar card to 'install upgrades', but is now not 0-value.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bait/dradis could be split 7&7 in a similar style:

Quote:
Raider Control ([1],[1],[1],[1],[2],[2],[2])
(skillcheck effect - only resolve once per crisis)
Each revealed cylon player may choose to move 1 raider to an adjacent space sector, or place a raider into sector [1]
If there are no revealed cylon players, place 2 raiders into sector [1]

Quote:
Bait ([1],[1],[1],[1],[2],[2],[2])
(skillcheck effect)
The Admiral must place a civilian ship on the main game board.
If multiple copies of this card are in a skillcheck, he must place 1 civilian for each, and they must be in different space sectors if possible.

Yeah, I want to give the admiral even more power. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.