Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dilworth
Ireland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone got any suggestions for effective solitaire play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried a few scenarios solo, and I think that the ones with a clear attacker and defender work the best. Especially, if one or two objectives are worth a lot of VP and you can set up the defender without the need to move a lot.

So basically, the defender's hand of cards doesn't need a lot of hard decision making. You use Op Fire as much as possible, recover your own units, rout the attacking units, and place hidden mines/wire/fortifications whenever possible. Prevent the attacker from taking the objectives or exiting.

So then, playing primarily as the attacker, you try to take the heavily defended objective as effectively as possible. If you can avoid looking at the defender's hand before committing to your attack orders, then the surprise of op fire works pretty well.

This has worked pretty well for me, as I have only played FTF once and have tried solo scenarios about 5 times thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing my third solo scenario. I think just playing the game as is is quite fun. It's not perfect as a solo game, but if you try to play as real as possible for each side, it is fun. More fun than a lot of other games that claim to be solo-friendly, in my opinion.

Still, if anyone has a better way to play the game solo, post it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have tried a few scenarios solo, and I think that the ones with a clear attacker and defender work the best.

Because of all the "Scenario Defender Only" Actions I would think that the opposite is true: that Recon vs Recon would be easier to game out solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kantor
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is ideal for solitaire play. A lot of the rules mechanisms, in fact, are extremely helpful for solitaire play. If you have trouble being objective when it comes to strategies or specific responses - use some Matrix game principles to help resolve them.

http://www.io.com/~hamster/englematrixgames.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Atkins
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
This game plays surprisingly well solitaire (much better than its rating would suggest, in fact).

It also plays better solitaire than other CDGs, primarily because each player gets to play as many cards as he wants before the other player takes his turn. This means that the only thing you have to do is check the defenders hand for reaction possibilities.

The best solitaire tip was mentioned above: when replenishing one side's hand after its turn is over, do not look at the cards. Then, after commiting the other side to their first order, look at the other side's hand for possible reacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that's how I've played Up Front for years. Don't look at the enemy's hand when u replenish it or if you have just discard those cards then draw new ones...always some surprises awaiting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Solitaire Rules (adapted from Up Front Solitaire, and suggestions above):

1. Side: Choose one side to play. That side will be played as normal. If mission is attack vs. defense, it's ideal to chose the attacking side. You can do hand management tricks if you want.

2. Objectives: your side will expose your hidden objectives. You will still have the standard open objectives as well. The opponent will still keep their hidden objectives concealed (this adds to the suspense). When playing the opponent turn, try to capture most if not all objectives. This simulates bluffing by a human opponent. It also simulates the fact that your opponent show not know what your hidden objective is. If priority needs to be given, concentrate enemy action in the known open objectives.

3. Enemy hand management: game starts with cards in enemy hand face down. Only flip them when it's their turn. Use cards as normal, always use applicable action and op fire cards in the enemy's hand. As much as possible do not try to perform hand management and combos. When refilling the hand, do not reveal the replacement cards immediately. These cards remain face down until the next opponent's turn.

4. Initiative card: Ignore Initiative Card rules. I find this very gamey when playing with myself.

I played Fat Lipki with this system. It added a little suspense but you still can't help but act in accordance to what you now about the opponent's hand. We have rule #3 to partially compensate for this as you don't know what makes half of your enemy's hand most of the time. I actually lost because of the hidden objective in the opponent side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.