Subject: Strategy Cards - Use as a reaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Bellingham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Played for the first time last night and the game was overall pretty fun (though we didn't realise you could only attack once in ranged or close combat, leading to my opponent mincing me with his 8-attack Predators).

I'm confused at the timing of Strategy cards. We played it exactly as written in the rules, where you can only play the cards between activations. But a lot of the cards are reactive, for example "Target an alien that's about to receive a wound".

If I have to play that before a model is activated, that means I have to choose to use the strategy on one of my aliens immediately before the Predator player makes an attack... meaning that if he has a choice of targets he'll probably pick a different target, thus wasting the strategy.

Am I supposed to be able to play that card instantly as a reaction to the predator player actually rolling a successful attack on my alien?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Tsekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Card rules trump rules about timing, so if a card tells you to play it at a particular time, you can play it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bellingham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your reply.

Ahhh! I missed this line:

"Strategy Cards can only be played between individual Model activations of any player, unless specified otherwise, on the Card"

I was slavishly adhering to the flow chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Skimble wrote:
we didn't realise you could only attack once in ranged or close combat,

Where did you see this because the only action I remember you can only do once is a move action.

Edit: Nevermind, found it....this changes things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.