London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I have just moved the Zertz strategy guide to a new home http://mrraow.com/uploads/Articles/zertz/Strategy/strategy.h...

... and this seems like a good time to ask for any corrections/comments/bug reports that folks may have since I published it almost 15(!) years ago.

Things I know about:

The 4/5/6/3 game is now the standard

On a 37-ring board, standard game, first player loses unless they (a) play away from the edge, and (b) remove a corner ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hsu

New York City
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for writing this. I learned a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess maybe add how additional rings impact the game (or the strategy) ?

Add the why firt player loses if he plays in the edge and doesn't take a corner ring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the guide gives bad advice in the Opening section. A first ball edge placement on the small board is well known to be vulnerable to an auto-victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just reading your strategy guide for Zertz as a means of wrapping my head around this game and I noticed something that confused me. This paragraph:

Notice that in both these examples, it doesn't matter whether you placed the white ball or the black ball next to it. Your opponent must capture the black ball with the white, then you capture the white. This illustrates an important principle: you can capture a white ball even if there are none on the board!

Wouldn’t your opponent also be forced to capture the white ball?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each color can capture each other color if two marbles are adjacent and at least one can jump over the other (i.e. there is a free ring on the other side).

I hope that helps.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.