Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided to make some Terror/Doom tokens to go along with my gate stands:

Hiya, thought I'd share some photos of various styles of gate holders I've been working on. I originally sculpted them just for fun and because I'm ever so slightly obsessed with the Cthulhu Mythos. I've still got a couple of other designs half sculpted - an Egyptian style one and a water/wave style one (might be better suited to Eldritch Horror that one).

Interested in people's thoughts on the designs, execution and colour schemes and whether there would be enough interest in them for me to set up a little home production line and sell them in painted or unpainted sets? (I've been making similar items for various editions of War Of The Ring for several years now and needed to sculpt and paint something new before I failed my sanity check..)

Anyway, please let me know what you think, although I realise I'm probably a few years behind the curve on this as there are undoubtedly other folk who have thought of similar stuff strange eons ago....

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gate Holders: resin, hand crafted.
Dependent on what you would charge for them, I would be hugely interested. The "mountainous" and the "wormy" one I especially like. I like the colour scheme on the four in front (second image), and would be interested in how the other two (especially the Egyptian one) would look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Niederer
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested as well, those are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Color me interested as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure that these aren't for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game? only there appears to be a Toaster in the background!

Aesthetically I like them a lot, but I've never understood the need for this sort of thing (though I do have the Litko "Sealed" tokens). My AH set is never played on my premises, so they would add extra kipple to carry around with me. But for those who like this sort of stuff, it would be great to see a UK source (and I have a buddy who would buy anything you make - for Eldritch Horror)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have stated earlier that, as with my other projects, if this one does go ahead I then work out with BGG a way that enables me to pay them commission from the sales.

Thanks for the comments so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if you ever sell them, i am very interested in. Can you scan 3D them ? You could make them produced by a 3D printer like Shapeways or Sculpteo with you own web shop there: you will get paid and in a easier way.

What do you think of that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another project of yours that will consume my money! My only comment for consideration is:

If possible, consider ways to make them functionally useful, as well as beautiful. For Eldritch Horror, I painted a set of holders I have to match the color of the gate (since that helps me identify which gates should be activated). Sadly, I don't think there is a similar mechanism for Arkham Horror, since some of the gates have multiple creature symbols...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjun Sukumaran
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested as well. Very nice! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work, David! They're great-looking pieces.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly looking positive for this project. Bearing in mind that probably the majority of AH games don't play with the max number of players, how many gates should constitute a set? Is multiples of 4 a good place to start (bearing in mind that there will likely be 4 different designs)... More?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The light was so good this morning I couldn't resist taking some photos. Here's some more gates and character stands:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sickdave wrote:
It's certainly looking positive for this project. Bearing in mind that probably the majority of AH games don't play with the max number of players, how many gates should constitute a set? Is multiples of 4 a good place to start (bearing in mind that there will likely be 4 different designs)... More?

Given that the Gate Limit is 7 for a 4-player game, you really need 6 and even large groups need at least 4. I'd sell packs of 4. Unless you want to sell individual designs too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.