For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule 6.6 Design Note “South Along the Mississippi" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Retracing my way through the rules I’m pretty lucky to have the latest version at my disposal seeing my box is 2000, so things like river control and combined ops are going smoothly.

But I’m just wondering if there’s something missing from the design note to 6.6 Union Naval Control? It reads:

Quote:
6.6 Union Naval Control
DESIGN NOTE: Union Naval Control should be thought of as a pressure that is exerted along all navigable rivers from the North and against Confederate coastline spaces from the Sea. Union naval pressure prevails unless the South can block the pressure with forts or ironclads. One way to think about it is Union Naval control emanates from where the Ohio (both ends), the Wabash and the Mississippi rivers flow off the North edge of the map (even though they are not navigable at those points). At the beginning of the Campaign game Cairo is con-nected to those sources of Union naval pressure that flow down the Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. The Confederate fort at Dover, TN (Forts Henry and Donaldson) blocks this pressure from reaching Nashville, TN. The Confederate fort at Columbus, KY blocks this pressure from reaching south along the Mississippi.

Looking at the highlighted last sentence, I’m trying to make this gel with the four ways the Confederacy can negate Union river control but it doesn’t seem to match any of them.

Is this note simply saying that pressure is blocked flowing south but of course you need to invoke Case 3 or Case 4 to actually negate Union control beyond Columbus along the Mississippi?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Fort St. Philip/Jackson (below New Orleans) is CSA-controlled, the whole stretch of the Mississippi River between Columbus and that fort is denying USA naval control.

If the USA controls Fort PJ but CSA still has a fort in Columbus, the fort is still blocking any union naval moves down the river from points north of it (St. Louis, Cairo, etc), unless the Union chooses to try to run the guns.

I think the second case is more what the design note is trying to emphasize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Fred (and Mark) - this Aussie was almost sure the Mississippi flowed “downstream” into the gulf so something else was needed to bottle that pressure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend checking out Mark Herman's videos for For the People on You Tube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
this Aussie was almost sure the Mississippi flowed “downstream” into the gulf

It does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.