Subject: They were still teaching reading in school a few years ago, right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a waiting room at a clinic yesterday.
There are multiple signs on display. You can't miss them.

TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE

There's also others scattered around, saying:

If you have a cold or cough, please sanitize your hands and take a complimetary mask.
Do not eat or bring food into the waiting room.
Thank You.

A girl walks in. She's in her early twenties.
She checks in and the front desk asks for her health card.
Oh, did I mention that there's a sign:

You cannot be seen by a doctor unless you have your health card with you.

She had to go back out to her car to get it.
What it was doing in her car, I have no idea.

Anyway, she returns, checks in, then sits down.
Pulls out her cell phone and starts texting.
Reaches into her purse and pulls out a bag of potato chips and starts eating them.
Sneezes, coughs, and rummages for a Kleenex, while looking around the room at all of the people staring at her, and all of the signs on the walls and counters.

She just repeats the last three actions.

This is one self-absorbed individual.
I hate her. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure she was oblivious to the signs, I doubt that she would have cared even if she had read them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Well, once the infection sets in and she turns into a zombie, I think you'll have it within your rights to lob her worthless head off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Well, once the infection sets in and she turns into a zombie, I think you'll have it within your rights to lob her worthless head off.

Well that escalated quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Don't forget to steal her chips. It's all about looting the treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What did she do when you pointed out that she wasn't following any of the signs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a sign in our restrooms to the effect that washing hands prevents spread of disease to others. It's always struck me that most likely if someone isn't washing their hands anyway, the sign indicating that others might benefit probably isn't going to do a whole lot of good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Young people can read, but only if the words are on a screen. They are incapable of deciphering words written on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: They were still teaching TEXT-reading in school a few years ago, right?
Mr. or "Miss Bad Manners" wasn't 'present' to inform HER upon "such", eh? Adults MIA even, too? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
qzhdad wrote:
We have a sign in our restrooms to the effect that washing hands prevents spread of disease to others. It's always struck me that most likely if someone isn't washing their hands anyway, the sign indicating that others might benefit probably isn't going to do a whole lot of good.
Good 'thang' there wasn't any sign about: "Please Refrain from smoking 'Brown Bomber' unless you're wearing 'brown trousers' already, thank you!" gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My lawn. Get off of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Young people can read, but only if the words are on a screen. They are incapable of deciphering words written on paper.
It's going to be a sad time when perhaps 50-75 years from now people will no longer use cursive script, if even write by hand at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:
It's going to be a sad time when perhaps 50-75 years from now people will no longer use cursive script, if even write by hand at all

Now this I don't get. I do not see the value, other than appearance, in cursive writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic N
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:

Now this I don't get. I do not see the value, other than appearance, in cursive writing.

Speed. Cursive is faster to write than printing.

There are also some studies that suggest that writing in cursive benefits in other ways in a more psychological realm, but I won't bore anyone with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
heiligerdankgesang wrote:
Blott wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:

There are also some studies that suggest that writing in cursive benefits in other ways in a more psychological realm, but I won't bore anyone with those.

It also leads people to think you received an education beyond that of a 5-year old (even if untrue...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Blott wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:

It also leads people to think you received an education beyond that of a 5-year old (even if untrue...).

If anyone saw the quality of my cursive they would think I hadn't finished first grade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
elgin_j wrote:
Blott wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:

If anyone saw the quality of my cursive they would think I hadn't finished first grade.

Yeah, I don't know anyone that uses cursive any more. None of my family does cause their hand writing makes it impossible to read.

Although they did stop teaching 'penmanship' in school over a decade ago (even though in middle school they were required to use it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Blott wrote:
elgin_j wrote:
Blott wrote:
wizardinwhite wrote:
Blott wrote:

Yeah, I don't know anyone that uses cursive any more. None of my family does cause their hand writing makes it impossible to read.

Although they did stop teaching 'penmanship' in school over a decade ago (even though in middle school they were required to use it)

I use cursive. My children were taught it school beginning in 4th grade, like I was. I tell children, if you don't learn to read cursive, people can hide information right in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Sooo... what's teaching someone to read got to do with this situation? Reading isn't the issue here.

Cursive? Nah. I was taught cursive, and was very good at it, but a) it is not as legible as printing, which ought to be the aspect of prime importance with regard to writing, and b) I can print faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to reading the signs, I had to go through a surgical procedure that required fasting for many hours. Signs were up inside and out of the waiting room requesting no food be brought in and why it could be distressing to patients. Not long after I sat down someone brought in a bagful of Wendy's fast food for their family's pleasure so they wouldn't go hungry while waiting on their loved one to rejoin them.

(And now my stomach is growling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you have to turn off your phone in a waiting room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
The signals can cause interference with some sensitive hospital equipment. Or at least that's what they claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
The signals can cause interference with some sensitive hospital equipment. Or at least that's what they claim.

Most of the time it's just because they don't want (a) phones ringing, and (b) people talking on said phones. If you're texting or going online or whatever, no one actually cares. There are pieces of equipment which might be sensitive to cell signals, but considering most doctors are carrying mobile phones (and may have wifi or LTE enabled tablets they use for patient data) . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

In the waiting room? Yeah, that's bullshit. The stuff that is sensitive to cell signals are going to be in a shielded room. Everything in the regular patient rooms are fine. Stuff like blood pressure monitors and EKGs. That stuff designed to be able to handle fairly rough treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.