Subject: This game v Pz Grenadier system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody who has recently played both - can you summarise the main differences in your view and whether you have a preference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Norman,
it is few years, since I played PG with latest rules.

I believe that La Bataille is much better game/system. It is very well supported by Niko.

And now few differences:
command and control works much better in La Bataille. There are named formations with their own leaders vs generic forces with generic leaders in PG. In PG every leader can command every unit in his range. In La Bataille leader must command his own formation.

As far as I remember anti-tank combat is more detailed in La Bataille. We also had to heavily house-rule close combat in PG.

Otherwise for me PG is predecessor to La Bataille. I do not know whether Niko took some inspiration but for me La Bataille fixes all issues PG had and improves on every aspect of that game.

Also scenarios in La Bataille are much more playable. They are shorter vs in PG there were lot of monsters. Of course this is subjective. And also one has to take in considerations that some games like Eastern Front in PG had something like 100 scenarios. I remember that we had some issues with balance, but it can be probably expected.

Last but not least La Bataille is much more nicer - Niko's work is outstanding, but this is again subjective.

Hope it helps at least little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that is helpful. I already have La bataille, but not played it yet and wondered about the PG system because PG France 40 has just arrived at my game suppliers.

I did play PG some years ago and liked many aspects, but felt that units YoYo'd a lot between the various morale states, sort of bouncing back and making the work of getting them demoralised somewhat redundant.

I hope to get LbF40 on the table soon. Again, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, you have reminded me of this "issue" of PG units getting disrupted, demoralized and back. I didn't like it much either it was too much work to be constantly checking for morale of units left far from battlefield to get them back into action just to be demoralized again.

Fortunately La Bataille fixes this as well. With increasing loses it is much more likely that formation as whole could get demoralized at which point units cease to be fighting formation. Sometimes it can be too bad for you if you loose whole formation due to few loses. But overall it gives me better narative and speeds up gameplay significantly.

I think that PG was at its best in really small engagements (like few units per side. It was quick and some of these issues were not so visible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested by this idea that LBF40 uses formations and that they behave like formations - something that is surprisingly absent in many tactical games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:
I'm really interested by this idea that LBF40 uses formations and that they behave like formations - something that is surprisingly absent in many tactical games.
It is a tricky problem to solve. Wargamers have been "trained" to fill holes with any unit available so the idea of keeping units together feels unnatural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Morena
Spain
Tres Cantos
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:

I finally got my hands on this game, and I am hoping to test the formation system soon. Formation rules have been sadly absent from the PG series until the latest modern rules (issued with the Sword of Israel module).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.