Subject: Producer's bad homepage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how a large and active company as Rio Grande Games can have such a bad home page. Do anyone else? Isn't the home page supposed to sell "in it self"? And what about the non-existent online game support?

Perhaps you may have more examples of bad home pages?

Bah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember Mayfair's old site? Maybe RGG will have a similar overhaul someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Large? I'm pretty sure Rio Grande consists of no more than two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

I thought there were 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
yea i just saw the site yesterday. piece of shit, but they are quite friendly i sent them an email about a possible reprint of the river for carcassone i got a reply in 2 or 3 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Geosphere wrote:
tool wrote:

I thought there were 3.

That could well be the case. Anyway, it's still not a big company - they produce a lot of games because a)they co-publish most of them and b)they spend most of their time on that, and not on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the particular complaint with the homepage? All the games are there. Jay keeps it well updated with new info and is diligent about answering email. If the complaint is with the non-existant pictures of games there, this is in line with what you will see at Hans im Gluck and Alea's websites. Some more photos would be nice, but a quick trip to boardgamenews or here will solve that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
southseasnurse wrote:
What is the particular complaint with the homepage? All the games are there. Jay keeps it well updated with new info and is diligent about answering email. If the complaint is with the non-existant pictures of games there, this is in line with what you will see at Hans im Gluck and Alea's websites. Some more photos would be nice, but a quick trip to boardgamenews or here will solve that.

Well, I guess so. I just got frustrated when BGG was down for maintenance and I wanted to look up something on a Rio Grande Game. I understand that the priority of course should be on the games them selfs, but I think it's always nice with a good home page with detailed information about their games. Even better when it's possible to download the rules so a possible buyer can get a grip on the game. Not everything is on BGG.

I didn't know that Rio Grande Games was such a small company. Now I'm instead impressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
my problem is that its so plain, even most small business's have a professional site these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the presentation is actually quite nice and clean, apart from the 'Games' page that suddenly jumps into super-huge fonts for no apparent reason.

Content-wise, there could do with being a somewhat more extensive write-up on each game, and I still don't agree with refusing to post rules on-line, although I respect that it's Jay's decision to make.

I've certainly seen a whole lot worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
I think the presentation is actually quite nice and clean, apart from the 'Games' page that suddenly jumps into super-huge fonts for no apparent reason.

Content-wise, there could do with being a somewhat more extensive write-up on each game, and I still don't agree with refusing to post rules on-line, although I respect that it's Jay's decision to make.

And the award and language icons are missing (or the image links are wrong) which makes it feel like the home page is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very "old"-looking site. Info may be there and Jay may update it, but it DEFINITELY needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mentis wrote:
A friend of mine designs professional corporate-style web sites. The Rio site would be a minimum $10,000 job for them, based on the way they would insist on setting it up, putting everything in a database instead of static pages, using Flash, and what not. If they did custom animation, custom music, and other fancy stuff the price would go up very quickly.

I'm pretty sure there's a happy middle somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
plain dosn't mean unprofessional.

This is a issue of taste rather than proffesionalism.

Databases is a good idéa, but really I don't think Rio Grandes page is that bad, although the navigation needs some work (right, and I only checked it out due to this thread).

The important thing is that the information one wants is easy to reach and read. Well that what I think is the number one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.