Popular Tags: [View All]
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to play our first game of this tonight and reading the rules the drafting seemed too preset...draw one of each type then draft. Doesn't seem as varied as drafting in other games and to me diminishes the fun of it (at least in theory...I haven't tried yet).

My idea was to shuffle to one giant pile and just draw 4 random cards, and then to avoid screwage of not getting movement or something like that, introduce a new rule:

Quote:
After each card is drafted, before playing it or discarding it for gears/dice, you may instead pay one gear and discard the drafted card, name a card type, and then draw from the top of the deck until the first card of that type is revealed. You then keep that card and can either play it or discard it for gears/dice.
Quote:
Additionally each player starts the game with one gear for that first round.
Does that make sense? Anyone else tried the drafting or variants of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a shot with the rules as they currently stand.
I find them plenty fun, and replete with difficult decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that. Play it as written first. Not once has anyone in our group mentioned any issue regarding the drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor B
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea behind the draft structure as written is to make sure that players don't get completely screwed over by their card draws. In your first hand, you will always have 1 card that gives movement, 1 card with 4 connectors, a card to discard for each color of dice.

Even with those guarantees, though, it's still very easy to find yourself in a position where you may really want a card for its effect, but also really need the dice that you can discard it for, so you have to gamble on other players not taking cards you need from their hands. If the gamble doesn't pay off, well, at least you had your chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
Follow us à L'École du Jeu on YouTube!
badge
Follow us à L'École du Jeu on YouTube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Original rules make sure you ALWAYS are able to get either MOVEMENT or a 4-way CONNECTOR (which are useful to make a huge machine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all; I'll be trying both variations starting with the original rules.

I understand the intent of the rules so that you get one of each type, but I agreed (in theory) with a review of the game that said why bother drafting at all? Just grab one of each type and randomly and build. It would be like playing 7 Wonders knowing that each player started with one of each color card.

My change was based on the idea that the non even draft makes it more nail biting and feels more like the drafting matters, and the second rule about discarding a gear to draw a card type of your choice, fills that need for specific card types if you need a connector or movement or whatever.

I'll try both and figure it out from there. I really appreciate all the feedback though, it made me decide to start with the original rules rather then never even trying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea but I think you will find problems when you test it.

Your version would remove many of the difficult decisions that exist in the game currently. Often, I am forced to choose between a card I REALLY like, and the one movement card in the hand, as especially later in the game, I can be fairly sure I will not be passed any additional movement cards. In your version, I can take whatever I like, because I can always draft a movement card instead of whatever crap is left at the end.

Your proposed version also seems like it might increase play time a lot, if multiple players are constantly interrupting the draft session to go find the colour they want instead of what they were passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:

Your version would remove many of the difficult decisions that exist in the game currently. Often, I am forced to choose between a card I REALLY like, and the one movement card in the hand, as especially later in the game, I can be fairly sure I will not be passed any additional movement cards. In your version, I can take whatever I like, because I can always draft a movement card instead of whatever crap is left at the end.

Your proposed version also seems like it might increase play time a lot, if multiple players are constantly interrupting the draft session to go find the colour they want instead of what they were passed.
I hear you on the second point, but the first is one of the reasons I thought of it....if it's so important to keep that first movement card, you're practically eliminating one of the draft decisions making the whole point of drafting less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try doing your variant idea (shuffle all the remaining card together and deal out four) in the last round after someone crosses the finish line. By then everyone should have their invention pretty much built up for the final push.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the current draft is really inspired. You still get a huge amount of variety between hands, yet you never feel really screwed over by the luck of the draw. To me it's one of the games really strong features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
alexsr wrote:
mind_ranger wrote:

I hear you on the second point, but the first is one of the reasons I thought of it....if it's so important to keep that first movement card, you're practically eliminating one of the draft decisions making the whole point of drafting less fun.
You don't always want to keep the first movement card because:
- You may already have plenty of movement capability (this game isn't all about max speed every round)
- It may not fit with your invention's current dice strategy (wrong color)
- You may not be able to connect it to your machine without sacrificing something else you really need
- You may have another draft card which is more important for your current situation

As Entwife said, the draft is a brilliant balance between variety and predictability. My inventions have been extremely different each game, and vary a ton during the game. I've never felt constrained by the draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it last night the regular way and it was fine as is. I didn't play a second game and likely won't bother with my short lived variant, if only because of the extra time it will add as was pointed out. That and the fact that you guys are all right and didn't feel feel quite so predictable or "must pick movement".

Thanks for all the contributions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls