Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the deluxe edition and the only thing I'm sad about is the lack of more portable player mats. I'd love to put a deck on a deck box and carry a small footprint Mottainai around with me.

Did the regular version of the game come with smaller player mat? That would be nice if they existed and then maybe I could try to track some down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini version had a smaller player mat, but it's still bigger than a card, so I don't think it will fit in a normal deck box.

But the mini version already has a small box that you can carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to print a mat 4x the size of a card and fold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Holtz
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We need a mini Mottainai-mini!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wish I bought the small version just for the portability.

If I was smart enough at graphic design (and photoshop) to make something. Maybe a temple board spread over two cards so they can be placed side by side to make the board and then packed up super nicely into a deck box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be printed onto fabric then folded up.

(example: the "glasses cloth" at Artscow, only $2 as part of the $20 for 10 items sale/coupon discussed in
this thread.)

The thread mostly has designs for drawstring bags but
here
are all the items that are included in the deal...scroll down a bit to see the "glasses cloth", in several sizes.

Some people are also using these to make portable player aids, scoreboards, etc. Those kind of things can also be printed directly onto a bag, making a sort of dual purpose travel container/functional game piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kind of funny, as I own the mini edition, and I wish the playing mat were a bit bigger. As it is, it is near impossible to manage tucking all of the cards under that small thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a fabric mat, there's also this site
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

The way it works is you upload a graphic (say, a scan of the playmat), that's free. They tile it for you, you get to see it and approve it.

Then, when when someone orders your fabric, they print the cloth and sell it by the fat quarter (18x21) or yard (36x42).

They will tile what you send them on the cloth, so if something is 8 1/2" x 6 1/2, you'd want to draw a nice box around it so that the repeat of your design is clearly 9" x 7" (so 6 would fit nicely on that 21x18 fat quarter of fabric). Actually, regardless of the size of the playmat, you'd want to pay attention to the measurements and orientation, you'd probably want to border something out at 9"x7" regardless of the final size of the playmat and let people cut down a fat quarter or a yard.

It's just an option, but one that might be uncommon here on bgg? I don't have the game yet or I'd offer to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded a Mini-Temple (Reversed) file, I use it to make the game super portable.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122284/mottainai-mini...

Check it out, be kind its my first attempt at anything like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormBlount wrote:
I just uploaded a Mini-Temple (Reversed) file, I use it to make the game super portable.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122284/mottainai-mini...

Check it out, be kind its my first attempt at anything like this.

Great work! But aren't sales and helpers swapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are, because the standard temple mat is designed for the cards to be tucked under it. This mini-temple mat you don't tuck the cards, instead you stack the cards next to the temple and only leave the helper or sales edge of the card visible. By swapping places you can stack the cards starting close to the temple and work your way out. I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McDonald
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
bradandmary wrote:
That's kind of funny, as I own the mini edition, and I wish the playing mat were a bit bigger. As it is, it is near impossible to manage tucking all of the cards under that small thing...

This is how I feel. The mini temple is so small the cards are always bumping each other out from under the temple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjamesmcdonald wrote:
bradandmary wrote:

This is how I feel. The mini temple is so small the cards are always bumping each other out from under the temple.

Larger Player Mat / Temple/ Rules Summary HERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut the mat in four pieces and taped both sides so it becomes a quad-fold board. At that point, it fits inside a deck box with everything sleeved. Sometimes it doesn't lay perfectly flat, but the portability is worth it in my opinion.

Here's a photo I took of my setup on Twitter.

Have a fun day!
–Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.