Ages: 14+

Players: 1-5

Time: 30 – 60 Minutes

Release Date: 2012

Mechanics: Deck Building, Co-operative

Designer: Devin Low

Publisher: Upper Deck Entertainment

Introduction

I’ve seen the X-Men and Avengers movies but I wouldn’t really call myself much of a comic book fan. I’ve never really been blown away by any super hero games, but I had been hearing some really good things about this game so I decided to shell out $60 to pick up the base game. Today we’re going to take a brief look at the game and I’ll tell you what I thought about it. There are already a few expansions out for this game, but this review is just for the base game.

Gameplay

The game comes with 15 heroes, each with 14 cards (4 unique cards for each hero.) Players start by collectively choosing 5 heroes to use in the game. These hero cards are all shuffled together to form the hero deck. 5 of these cards are flipped and are available to recruit. Anytime 1 is recruited it is replaced with the top card of the deck.

This version of wolverine costs 5 to recruit. When played he
has 2 attack and 0 recruit points. If another instinct hero was played
he has a secondary effect of allowing you to draw another card.

A mastermind and scheme are then chosen. The mastermind is the main boss you are fighting, you need to successfully attack him 4 times to win the game. The scheme will tell you any special setup rules and the loss conditions of the scenario.

The villain deck is comprised of villains, henchmen (weaker villains), bystandards (worth points if rescued), and scheme twists (which do nasty things dictated by the scenario.)

A player will start their turn by flipping over the top card of the villain deck. If it is a twist the effect is resolved. If it is a villain it is added to the city. There can only be 5 villains in the city at once so it is possible that a newly added villain will push the oldest one out of the city, which might sound good, but it is actually a bad thing. Players can use the cards in their hands to purchase new cards or attack a villain or mastermind. Any remaining cards are discarded and 6 new ones are drawn.

If the players manage to successfully attack the mastermind 4 times they win the game. If you are playing competitively add up the points each player earned from defeated villains and rescued bystandards and declare a winner.

Strategies That Work For Me

Attack, Attack, Attack: New villains will be coming out on almost every turn, you need to start hitting them ASAP. If possible make sure that your first few purchases are heroes that can do some damage. Some of the villains can be defeated with only 3 attack, make sure you take them out before they push stronger villains out of the city. If villains with bystandards start escaping you are going to be forced to discard cards and you will be in for a tough time. If you have the opportunity to defeat a villain with a captured bystandard then you should take it.

Split the Heroes: If you are playing cooperatively make sure you plan out who will buy which heroes. Card synergy is huge in this game, and it is sometimes beneficial you have each player mainly focus on purchasing a single hero.

A few of the spiderman cards. He works best if your deck is filled with cheaper cards.

The Truth

Pacing: My only major complaint about the gameplay here is the overall pace of the game. The game can last quite long and the end always feels pretty dull compared to the beginning. At the start you are struggling to defeat the easy enemies and you are doing everything in your power to prevent the villains from escaping. Unfortunately in most of the scenarios your enemies do not grow in power while your deck seems to grow in power exponentially. In the first few turns you are struggling to do 3 damage, near the end it is not uncommon to do 15 damage. During the first half of the game the city is overrun with villains, near the end the villains in the city are usually defeated and you are sometimes able to hit the mastermind twice in a turn. It seems like as soon as you add a 7 or 8 cost hero to your deck the game quickly comes to an end.

I will say that there are ways to tweak the game to fix this issue and that a few of the scenarios do provide a greater challenge in the later stages.

Missing Heroes: Now I’m not a comic book fan at all, but even I noticed a few AAA Marvel heroes missing from this set. You do get a nice variety of heroes, but there were a couple of notable omissions. This set is comprised of mostly X-Men and Avenger heroes, with the full rooster being added with the expansion sets.

Setup Time: It is going to take quite a while to set up a game especially if players are picking their favorite heroes and villains to use. Each game is set up slightly differently based on the scheme you are playing with and there is a lot of shuffling that has to be done before the game can even begin.

Limited Art: There is only 1 unique piece of art for each hero in this set. The art is very nice and consistent, but I wish there would have been more of it to see.

High Entry Cost: $60 is a pretty high entry cost for a card game. I’m not saying that the game is not worth $60, I’m just saying that not everyone is able to try the game before buying it, and a lot of people are not willing to drop $60 for a game they they haven’t tried.

Complex: The game isn’t hard to learn, but it isn’t a game I would want to teach to someone who has never played a deck builder before. A new gamer would probably have a good time with it, but it truly does take a few plays to truly grasp everything. The provided game board does a very good job of keeping the cards organized and showing players what steps to take in their turn.

The Beautiful

Complete Game: I’ve played many deck builder starter sets that felt more like an appetizer than a full meal. Some other unnamed deck builders will give you just enough cards in the box to play the game but you need to run out and buy an expansion if you want to have any variety. This is definitely not the case here; there is plenty to keep you occupied for a while. Changing up the heroes or villains will change the game a lot, but changing the scenario makes it feel like a whole new game. The scenarios change the win conditions and how a lot of the cards act.

Thematic: Legendary does a very good job of keeping up the intensity and making every decision you make feel stressful. The scheme twists and the constant parade of villains adds to the overall theme of the game. Everything fits together really well and it feels like you are right in the middle of a Marvel movie.

Card Quality/Layout: I’m a sleever, but I almost didn’t sleeve these cards because they are so nice to touch. The cards have a matte finish to them and the print quality is very high. There isn’t a ton of text on the cards so the artwork gets a chance to shine.

Multiple Ways To Play: You can choose to play cooperatively or competitively, you can play solo, and you can adjust the difficulty to suit your experience level. There are so many little things that you can easily change to mold the game into what you want it to be. The non-modified game is very solid and I like it a lot, but it is also nice to see that players are encouraged to change it if they want.

Card Synergy: There are so many things you need to consider when adding cards to your deck. Hero cards have a color, team, and a class. A lot of the heroes that you play will have a secondary effect that triggers if a certain color, team, or class has already been played. Figuring out which cards to buy and which order to play them in can be very difficult for new players, but it can be very rewarding when it is done properly.

Insert: You are given dividers, separate wells for different card types, and plenty of room for expansions.

Overall Score: 8/10

The game can be a little long and it might be a little pricey, but I ended up liking a lot of things about it. It feels complete, it’s very versatile, and should keep most people occupied for quite a long time.

It is a solid set and it is dang close to the top of my list of favourite deck builders.

Check out my other reviews at www.doyouwantthetruth.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the complaints about the power level of the villains is cured with expansions (dark city, fantastic four).
I would say that dark city is a must have if you want the full experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Webber
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, great review. I really enjoy the game, however, I find at least half the masterminds are under-powered during solo play (including expansions). Out of approximately 25 plays, I can't think of a scenario where I felt like I was going to lose, regardless of what heroes I chose (usually random). I hope Upper Deck will power up the baddies in future expansions instead of using variants to up the level of difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormpeak13 wrote:
First off, great review. I really enjoy the game, however, I find at least half the masterminds are under-powered during solo play (including expansions). Out of approximately 25 plays, I can't think of a scenario where I felt like I was going to lose, regardless of what heroes I chose (usually random). I hope Upper Deck will power up the baddies in future expansions instead of using variants to up the level of difficulty.

Really? Have you beat Thanos solo every time you faced him? Or Galactus? Do you play Advanced solo or normal solo? Have you been successful against Apocalypse every time? It seems hard to believe. Last night in a two -player game we lost two times in a row against Nimrod. If you randomize everything it is very difficult to win every game, so something smells fishy in your account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormpeak13 wrote:
I find at least half the masterminds are under-powered during solo play (including expansions). Out of approximately 25 plays, I can't think of a scenario where I felt like I was going to lose, regardless of what heroes I chose (usually random).

Wow! Not me. Especially in solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormpeak13 wrote:

You should sign up for the Legendary Online Leagues, then. Practically no one wins all of the mere 8-9 matches even with some of the matches allowing you to pick 1-2 heroes. If you don't come close to losing with full random, should be a cakewalk for you.

You should also get Villains. The last Villains league I won a lowly 4/8 matches and still finished in the middle of the pack (tie-9th of 21).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.