Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the movement, state and action related shenanigans in the last article, this time we’re going to see how you can improve your chances in coming back alive from The 7th Continent by gaining experience, buffing out your Action Deck and, of course, good old fashioned team work!

You live, you learn (unless you die horribly of course)

Experience is an important part of the game. Just like in any RPG of video game it allows you to become tougher and acquire new skills.

How do you acquire XP in The 7th Continent? Well I don’t want to give away the specifics but let’s just say there are many ways to do so. Exploring, Fighting, deciphering puzzles or sometimes with other Idea cards, you have multiple options when it comes to helping your adventurer survive in this harsh land.

So what do you actually get with this experience? More Action cards, that’s what!

Advanced Idea cards come with some pretty nifty powers. There are plenty of different ones depending on how you want to orientate your adventurer or what you’ll think you’ll need for the road ahead.

Besides their main utility, Experience Cards also come printed with some very interesting flavor text and tips, as in the kind of tips that may save a novice adventurers life!

Advanced Idea Cards are generally balanced out between multiple factors. Take this “Upgraded Camp” card for example.

The effect is pretty nifty. If you rest on a Terrain card with the fire resource and discard this card from your hand, you can recover 2 cards from the discard pile. Great for keeping your Action Deck topped up. The downside is that the card actually gives very little successes when drawn. Only half a star and a lucky number 7 is not great, although, if you do like using items that benefit from lucky number 7’s this can be a useful card. To be honest, it IS a useful card; it just depends on your circumstances and what you need at the given time.

One thing that all Advanced Idea cards do however is increase the size of your Action Deck, making you less susceptible to fatigue and allowing you to perform more actions before the risk of exhaustion creeps in.

To acquire a card, you simply spend an amount of experience equal to the number shown in the top left hand corner of the card. You can’t just level up anywhere however, you need to find a comfortable spot to rest and reflect upon your adventures.

You scratch my back and I’ll make sure a bear doesn’t maul yours.

Teamwork in The 7th Continent goes a lot farther than simply adding some more cards to the Action Deck. Although getting another 5 cards is great, the other player will use up their fair share of energy too so it’s kind of a misnomer.

When there are multiplayer on the same Terrain card, they can attempt to perform any given action together. As such, they can modify the action requirement by –X/+X (so less action cards but more successes needed). This represents the idea that they are supporting each other and therefore don’t need to work as hard individually but they need to coordinate their efforts to succeed.

On its own, this may not seem like that useful an ability, however, it’s when you start combining it with other effects that it really gets interesting.

Take this card for example:

This is one of the "bridge" cards we talked about in a previous article. It’s not a difficult one but does require a fair amount of energy cards and you definitely don’t want to fail it as the status it will inflict upon you is a pain to remove.

If 3 players cross this card separately, it will cost you 9 Action cards. That’s quite the investment. If you cross the card together, it will only cost you 3 Action cards AND you could change the value of the actions from a 3+/1 to a 2+/2, 1+/3 or 0+/4.

Now this may not seem that interesting at first but this is where Items come in. Imagine that Ferdinand had crafted a pole. This gives him a -1/+1 bonus to the action so it goes from a 3+/1 to a 2+/0. Therefore you only need to use 2 cards for the whole group instead of 9! If other players had equipment suited to this task, you could skew the numbers even further!

As a side note: When performing an action together, any participating player can be nominated to keep the one Idea card allowed. Also, even if that character is assisting you, you can never take a card that has another character’s face on it.

There is however a downside to these grouped actions, there has to be, it would be to easy otherwise!

The first and most important one is that if one player fails, you all fail. Some actions may only punish the active player where as some may punish the entire group. It’s up to you to assess each situation as it arises.

If you fail an action together, all players immediately take a “Paranoid” State card. Like with all State cards, if it stacks up with other State cards players already have in hand, it can cause your Action Deck to take a serious hit.

Last but not least, certain events can affect all the players on a given Terrain card. Sometimes it may be wise to keep the wounded behind whilst exploring new areas.

Next time, for the final article, we’ll be looking at how carefully scrutinizing your environment is key to your survival, as well as your journal which, even though it may not seem so at first, is possibly your most prized possession... alongside that volleyball with the face painted on it.

Source: http://www.trictrac.net/news/the-7th-continent-the-school-of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'm all aboard....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gour
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm so waiting for this!!! I'll join the train!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
BrunoS wrote:

When there are multiplayer on the same Terrain card, they can attempt to perform any given action together. As such, they can modify the action requirement by –X/+X (so less action cards but more successes needed). This represents the idea that they are supporting each other and therefore don’t need to work as hard individually but they need to coordinate their efforts to succeed.

I don't think I understand what this means... what's X? If multiple people take an action together can X be any positive number, or is X maybe at most the number of (additional) characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
juffowup wrote:
BrunoS wrote:

I don't think I understand what this means... what's X? If multiple people take an action together can X be any positive number, or is X maybe at most the number of (additional) characters?

X would be the number of players taking the action together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juffowup wrote:
BrunoS wrote:

Hi Andy,

"modify the action requirement by –X/+X" means you can decrease the number of Action cards drawn to perform this action but must increase the number of achievements required to succeed in the same proportions.

So let's take this example: Climb action 4+/0 (Draw 4 cards or more / need 0 achievements to succeed). If several players perform this action together they can decide to turn the 4+/0 into a:
3+/1
2+/2
1+/3
0+/4
and therefore reduce the energy (number of Action cards) spent by the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrunoS wrote:
juffowup wrote:
BrunoS wrote:

Hi Andy,

"modify the action requirement by –X/+X" means you can decrease the number of Action cards drawn to perform this action but must increase the number of achievements required to succeed in the same proportions.

So let's take this example: Climb action 4+/0 (Draw 4 cards or more / need 0 achievements to succeed). If several players perform this action together they can decide to turn the 4+/0 into a:
3+/1
2+/2
1+/3
0+/4
and therefore reduce the energy (number of Action cards) spent by the group.

So, it is completely independent to the number of people performing the action, as long as they are at least 2, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:

So, it is completely independent to the number of people performing the action, as long as they are at least 2, right?

Right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Clarification question please: The rules state that you cannot share items already in your inventory, but that you can jointly craft an item and then decide who gets it.

I can see why an Idea card with a character's face on it cannot be given to another player... It's not their idea!

But is the same true for ideas that then become items? If Ferdinand has the "idea" for a pole, and with another player, they craft it, can the Pole be given to the other player once it's successfully crafted?

Or does Ferdinand alone have the privilage to think of and carry sticks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
Clarification question please: The rules state that you cannot share items already in your inventory, but that you can jointly craft an item and then decide who gets it.

I can see why an Idea card with a character's face on it cannot be given to another player... It's not their idea!

But is the same true for ideas that then become items? If Ferdinand has the "idea" for a pole, and with another player, they craft it, can the Pole be given to the other player once it's successfully crafted?

Or does Ferdinand alone have the privilage to think of and carry sticks?

Hi Curtiss,
That's a good question
Absolutely, Ferdinand can give his pole to another player who crafted it with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.