United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
I work with emotionally challenged kids in a middle school program and have been given permission by the school district to purchase some board games Yay! Initially, they asked if I wanted to use their games and they pulled out Monopoly and Life and I died inside and just about needed emotional help myself. So Lets have it: Games with low amounts of reading, 30 minutes max, light theme. I get to buy 3.
Games on my list to get already: LoveLetter and Pandemic, but I want other ideas. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work w/ emotionally challenged kids as well and noticed you have pandemic. Is the goal competition or teamwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd say Forbidden Island/Dessert instead of Pandemic if just for the 30 minute length requirement alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
The goal would be participation, listening, and positive interaction with others. I'm open to games with cooperation as well as competition as both things are hard for the kids to deal with. And both bring out behaviors to work on in a fun game setting that encourages them to work through behaviors because they really want to play the game. Way more fun to work on coping skills while playing games than while trying to finish a test or worksheet right!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mangan
United States
Freeport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle. It requires thinking, and spacial reasoning, but no spelling. It's like scrabble, but with shapes. My 6th grader loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Forbidden Desert, played once, just never clicked for us. I'd be glad to donate it to the cause. If you are interested, message me your address and I'll put it in the mail to you.

I'd err on the side of easy and fun, so I'd recommend Blokus, and Carcassonne (without any expansions, for starters at least).

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parter works with 11-14 year olds ( if that's middle school) as dep head of year and has some success with Dixit good for communication too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
For a 2 player, I think Patchwork would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The kids at our school (age of 12-19) fall for "The Resistance" - much talking, bluffing and social interaction. It is quite cheap and you can play it with up to 10 persons. While one round lasts about 20 min, they can play it up to 4 hours. Very different kids. A MUST HAVE!

Today we introduced "Power Grid" and "Broom Service" to them. Both more complex, especially "Broom Service" created much shouting (and funny swearing) there, but in a comforting way; the duration of each game can reach 1 hour easily. Still worth a try, since they are diverse.

(We play "Love Letter", too and the kids like it, but they seldom play more than half an hour altogether. Pandemic is a good choice for a coop game, but more complex...)

Try to write to a publisher and ask for sponsorship. We got some really interesting games for our gaming group (with regular reports at our school homepage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival is a nice simple tile laying game that many players find to be a low stress game that looks beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as competition is fine with the kids, King of Tokyo is almost always a winner with kids. :-)

Unnamed Object or Diamant are also light and fun. It's a good way to trick kids into do some math, at the same time. heh

~Kat ^_^

P.S. Also, it's not a board game, I know, but consider offering time for the kids to play RPG games. (like D&D) They encourage cooperation and problem-solving. When I was in middle-school, D&D was the be-all-and-end-all. heh ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Bear in mind that whatever games you end up choosing, they might need to be somewhat resistant to piece loss/damage. Imagine playing Coup with a few of the cards marked by damage. Or A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) with an order token missing.

Possible games that might be considered loss/damage resistant:

Concept
Wits & Wagers Family
RoboRally
Go
Timeline
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:

This made me also think of Telestrations, which is a ton of fun. Granted, it is more of an activity, than a game, but it is still worth playing. :-)

Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun and exciting task you have. Good on you! A few suggestions:

Dixit
Blokus
Hey, That's My Fish!
Mamma Mia!
Archaeology: The Card Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Brown
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at my "for trade" list and see if anything sparks your interest!

I've got SET, Quiddler and Five Crowns which might be useful for you as well as Bubble Talk which is a picture caption game (like Apples to Apples but with pictures) and a couple others! I think there might be something that might work for you

GM me and we'll discuss arrangements!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How about codenames? It's team based and focused on cooperation. It's really a word game mixed with a party game but being its a word game it's still semi educational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
I definitely have to echo Dixit. Fun art that will challenge the kids to use their imagination to communicate with others. Although competitive, it feels like a party game in that nature where a desire to win is far less than the enjoyment of the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilma Mizanoski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
You should really check into Meazy N More! There are different levels of play and on Zano Games website there are additional "Eazy Peazy" games that can be played also with the dice. The "Eazy Peazy" games are very "eazy" and just be played in a couple minutes.

This game comes with 144 dice (6 dice of 6 colors for 4 players) It is a nice collection of dice and there are so many things you can do with dice, especially when you have 6 different colors. I like to even just play simple games like shake dice till you have all of one number. Also is really fun to play a "war" type game. They can also stack the dice...so many options!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto
Cartagena, good non-combatve interaction but currently difficult availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondgoldfinger wrote:

I would instead substitute Ingenious. The others are easy to play superficially but may be more restrictive for achieving competitive play in this group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably focus on cooperative or 'non-competitive' competitive games (stuff like Formula D or Lords of Waterdeep). So, I would probably go with:

Hanabi - great cooperative card game that really relies on creative communication with a strict limit on what you can say.

Formula D - A solid racing game that has both an easy and a hard mode to play through. Both are a lot of fun, and there can be a lot of talk on the best strategy to take each turn with.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - While I like the Encounters line a touch better, I think Marvel Legendary would be more age appropriate. I'd start it off full coop, and add in the competitive side of it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
All of these are relatively inexpensive and under 30 minutes. I think the press your luck games (Incan Gold and Can't Stop) and Las Vegas can lead to some hilarious interactions/negotiations/pleading/mocking, which may or may not be just what these kids need. Blokus, Coloretto, etc. would be safe, dry bets.

Incan Gold
Blokus (actually, now that I read the other responses, I agree with Ingenious over this)
Las Vegas
Monopoly Deal
Animal Upon Animal
Hey, That's My Fish
Qwixx (could be homemade for $2 with dollar store dice, access to a laminator, and dry erase markers)
For Sale
Sushi Go
Blueprints
Augustus
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Lost Cities (2 player only)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
1 +1 Hanabi
2 +1 Dixit
3 New Salem <--- reviewed by me if interested..
4 King of New York
5 7 Wonders
6 City Council
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're in Alaska, many OLGS will ship to you at a higher rate than the lower 48.

Are the kids able to assemble their own games? You can also look into various "print and play" games, including geeklists.

I would also contact game companies and ask if they have games they can *donate* to your program. I think Gamewright Games and Out of the Box Games have games most suitable for kids.

Rory's Story Cubes are a creative story-telling activity, and you can pay out of pocket for them for about nine bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhuggins123 wrote:
All of these are relatively inexpensive and under 30 minutes. ...

Incan Gold
Blokus (actually, now that I read the other responses, I agree with Ingenious over this)
Las Vegas
Monopoly Deal
Animal Upon Animal
Hey, That's My Fish
Qwixx (could be homemade for $2 with dollar store dice, access to a laminator, and dry erase markers)
For Sale
Sushi Go
Blueprints
Augustus
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Lost Cities (2 player only)

I came to add some of the above. This is a good list. I think accessibility is a real concern as well as length of play.

I would add Machi Koro to the list and Maybe something like sheriff of Nottingham.

I've also had luck with Saboteur and Nuns on the Run with teens, not to mention Love Letter. Maybe one of the re-themed editions would find especial appeal?

I have to include Welcome to the Dungeon which my family, especially my 11 Year old son and 15 year old daughter, really enjoy. It is quick, and really very satisfying. The only negative is that it does have player elimination, but the whole thing is over pretty quickly, so even that is minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.