Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as I understand it the first scenario starts in historical medieval Europe, and then it gets more and more fantastic, while still being medieval Europe. How? Does anyone want to describe to me how they work the fantasy into the story? (Scenario by scenario, preferably.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't this Earth, its Uchronia or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It isn't this Earth, its Uchronia or some such.

It is Europe, however, with the English fighting the French. It is an alternate history (Uchronia). The scenario book suggests that it all has happened, but got forgotten in time.

The fantasy elements are introduced into the scenarios one at a time: first the goblins, then the dwarves, wizards, giant spider and the rest of the lore masters. There is no explanation on how these things come to be; they've always existed, and the narrator is not surprised to encounter them.

The only interesting link is that Iron Dwarves who help the French are Scottish, which matches the French-Scottish link in real history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this is a historically ignorant question, but aren't there some battles in this adventures booklet that are fought with/in Spain? I thought I saw "Don Pedro the Cruel", I thought I saw a battle in Castile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nelmes
Wales
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The conflicts play out in an alternative Hundred Years' War. Politics were more dynastic than national during this period (the sense of England or France as a "nation" was still developing). So it is a bit inaccurate to describe it as the English fighting the French - all sorts of peoples got involved from all over Europe. There were serious conflicts ranging from Scotland to North Africa, Spain to Switzerland and Poland to Italy. There were two Popes (at Avignon and at Rome), the Byzantine Empire was still just about hanging on and there were various Muslim states from Spain and all the way along North Africa and the Middle East up to modern-day Turkey. Most of the fighting took place in France, Italy and Spain, but there were major battles in just about every country in Europe plus various crusades PLUS widespread brigandage by "free companies". So they could set adventures just about anywhere without straining the "historical" credibility one bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope DoW will flesh out this alternative Europe with
some real background & a Campaign generation system.

The base game includes goblins that are English allies that
in fact were Spanish(my wife who is Spanish was not amused when I pointed this outshake)but their dressed as Moors.Its a small thing
to an excellent game but give us some background.

DoW has stated that BattleLore is set in a definite time & place,
they didn't intend it to be a generic system for fighting Fantasy Battles so they need to get the background out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.