Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kubulak wrote:
AMAZING! Can't wait to betatest this. I was going through the rules already and the game seems simple enough to stay casual-friendly while keeping good replayability value.
I love the artwork ofcourse and I have no fears this coming a big hit on KS campaign.

Thanks a lot for your support, Peter! If, in any case, you're located in Brno, let's arrange a playing session Anyway, hope you'll like the game. I'm totally looking forward seeing your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm back with a project update. Things are moving forward and I'm happy to present all the news to you! Also, there are plenty of things and issues I'd greatly appreciate your opinion on or even your help with! thumbsup

So, let's go for it!

Public PnP testing

The pubic playtesting has already began. Most noticeably, group of friends and gamers from Canada already played the game several times. I've already got a brief feedback from them and looking forward their next sessions! I can't express how glad am I they're so helpful! It's actually a wonderful feeling seeing the game being played thousands of kilometres away from its birthplace Thanks a lot to all playtesters in Canada!

The feedback I got so far is clearly positive. The issue, however, is probably in the rulebook composition, which I partly expected. The rulebook was just roughly typeset for the purpose of playtesting. Also, it becomes obvious that several rules and schemes need better rewording, edits, etc.

thumbsup I'd be really glad to hear a brief feedback on the rules composition and/or clarity, if any of you here tried to walk through them

I recently listened to Jeff Siadek and Joey Vigour on the Cardboard Architects podcast (which is really great, btw.) and I really did like the playtesting scheme Joey (or Jeff, not sure now.) talked about. Simply "Take your prototype on a convention or to your FLGS and let people play it right from the box. At the same time, just sit aside, do not interfere, do not advise, do not explain, etc., just watch people play your game, make notes how they react to particular rules or situations, what are the fun moments or mechanics, etc." I must say I like it a lot! I've been doing blind playtestings so far with questionnaire/chat/phone based feedback, which obivously has its limitations. I'm definitely going to try the sit-aside approach!

Space Race: The Card Game being playtested in Canada. Thanks a lot!

Artwork

Our artist Dalibor worked really hard on the game logo, which is now completed. And I must say he did an amazing job! The other great news is he's already back on drawing cards' illustrations!

Space Race: The Card Game logo. What do you think, guys?

Dalibor really surprised me bringing all black and white original drawings to one of our evening meetings! I suppose I'm going to buy a bunch of picture frames and upgrade my office a bit Anyway, it's just astonishing having these hand drawn sheets spread on the table! I do like that guy!

Work in progress closeup provided by Dalibor, the artist. Philae lander (Rosetta mission) is approaching the Churyumov–Gerasimenko comet.

Game Previews

Since things are more or less going well so far, I believe the game should be ready to be previewed by industry-established reviewers. I'm going to concentrate on this in following days.

thumbsup Although I went through many reviewers lists, I'm curious if you guys would share any special tips or references to reviewers who're willing to review work in progress prototypes (such as Space Race: The Card Game is)? Surely no print and play, the intent is to have these prototypes manufactured. Thanks a lot for any suggestion!

I'm also going to put a short how to play video together to let people easily understand what's going on in the game, even if they didn't read the rules neither playtested it. I'm not experienced in this filed, but my colleague Marek is an experienced AV producer, so I'm counting on him to be able to do a decent video manual

thumbsup Speaking of that, I'm wondering, do you have any really favourite "walk through" or "how to play" vlogger, whose style/attend fits you the most? Such as Rahdo, for instance, does for many many gamers...

Misc

I've recently come across two interesting topics. Both of them touches Space Race: The Card Game somehow and I'd be glad to know your opinion about. Thanks!

Poll: What's your experience with or what do you think about?
1. Would you prefer the game box size to be:
The biggest! No matter the amount of components, the bigger the box is the heavier the impact on anybody seeing it in my shelf!
The smallest! No matter the amount of components, the smaller the box is the better it fits my bag when I'm off for playing session!
I really don't care...
2. Supposing you're backing a KS board game. What do you think about shipping costs collected during vs. post campaign?
Paying all at once! It's easy and comfortable.
I'd pay for the shipping later as it might be cheaper that way.
I really don't care...
      20 answers
Poll created by jenik

Finally, a brief conclusion of What's next?
Continue to collect feedback.
Bugfixing, based on the feedback.
To fix rulebook composition issues, based on the feedback.
Try to manage the sit-aside playtesting session(s).
Make a how to play video.
Get in touch with reviewer(s).
Also to get additional feedback to the rules clarity and composition! Would anybody be willing to invest a few minutes to take a brief look on the rulebook? It's a part of the PnP Kit downloadable from our http://boardcubator.com/ page. I'll be super happy!

If anybody of you have any remarks or suggestions, comments or whatever, definitely reach out to me either here or on Facebook (username Jenik Suki Soukal). Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys like the game and the direction the overall project is going! I really do appreciate your support!

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan, it's looking good! I voted, "I really don't care..." for both, because I want whatever makes the best game and works best for your individual campaign goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great update! I, too, loved seeing all that beautiful artwork splayed out on the table And I loooove the logo.

The other reviewers that I've really enjoyed watching are Bower's Game Corner, Ryan Metzler from Board Game Brawl, and Jeremiah from The Board Game Renegade (who is actually just getting breaking into video reviews). As far as shipping costs during a KS campaign, I said I prefer to pay everything up front, but the big thing for me is when a creator releases the shipping survey before the product ships. You just never know if some of the backers moved before the fulfillment process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Jan, it's looking good! I voted, "I really don't care..." for both, because I want whatever makes the best game and works best for your individual campaign goals.

Thanks, George, for your support! The campaign goals are yet to be set. I'm actually asking because these questions are quite tricky to answer at the end. All the options have its pros and cons...

corneliusdamey wrote:
Thanks for the great update! I, too, loved seeing all that beautiful artwork splayed out on the table And I loooove the logo.
Thanks a lot Corry! I also like the logo. It's amazing! Each time I see any news from Dalibor, I just can't believe what he's able to produce!

corneliusdamey wrote:
The other reviewers that I've really enjoyed watching are Bower's Game Corner, Ryan Metzler from Board Game Brawl, and Jeremiah from The Board Game Renegade (who is actually just getting breaking into video reviews). As far as shipping costs during a KS campaign, I said I prefer to pay everything up front, but the big thing for me is when a creator releases the shipping survey before the product ships. You just never know if some of the backers moved before the fulfillment process.

Thanks for the tips regarding video reviewers! I'll try to make a special effort towards them to actually (and hopefully) make them do the review

As for the shipping survey, your totally right with the point! I thought, actually, that checking the address just prior to the shipping itself should be a standard nowadays, isn't it? And yes, it might seem confusing to many backers. Thanks a lot for excellent point! I'm putting this onto my list and I'm going to communicate this clearly right upfront in the campaign.

Thanks a lot to both of you guys for great tips and support! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to assemble your beautiful PNP at the beginning of february, but just recently finished the kit and managed to play during lunch at work. Life got in the way. Since the kit is for A4 paper and all I have available is of Letter format, I printed the bleeding kit at a scaling of 95% but cut just a little outside of the guides. This worked great in my opinion.

It took us about 90 minutes reading the rules and playing a complete game. Note that I had read the rules beforehand but did not recall everything when it was time to explain them, so we had to refer to them a couple of times. I'm pretty sure we got the rules right but we'll all go over them before the next game (this week hopefully). My impressions will follow, but we want to play more than once because knowing the cards is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
hpox wrote:
I started to assemble your beautiful PNP at the beginning of february, but just recently finished the kit and managed to play during lunch at work. Life got in the way. Since the kit is for A4 paper and all I have available is of Letter format, I printed the bleeding kit at a scaling of 95% but cut just a little outside of the guides. This worked great in my opinion.

Hi Jean-Francois,
it sounds reasonably. And I'm glad it worked.
hpox wrote:

The closeup looks just great!
hpox wrote:
It took us about 90 minutes reading the rules and playing a complete game. Note that I had read the rules beforehand but did not recall everything when it was time to explain them, so we had to refer to them a couple of times. I'm pretty sure we got the rules right but we'll all go over them before the next game (this week hopefully). My impressions will follow, but we want to play more than once because knowing the cards is important.

I hope you enjoyed the game. Have you got through the rules easily? And most importantly: Did you have fun playing Space Race? I'll be glad hearing your thoughts, remarks, notes and whatever else about it!

Also, we've worked very hard last month playtesting, blindtesting and incorporating all the feedback we've collected so far. I'll publish a project status update with updated rulebook and PnP kit in following days. Dalibor (the artist) has made a bunch of brand new artwork, so stay tuned thumbsup

I must again thank all of you guys for your help and support! I'm pretty sure that without your feedback and advisory I wouldn't be able to finish the game. It's not done yet, but hopefully, we're getting there. Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I have posted the last update. We've made ourselves pretty busy and thanks to that I can say that we are ready to launch the Kickstarter campaign this week. Thank you for all your help and support!

But, let's start from the beginning. Here's what we have done and what has changed in the meantime.

Pics from several playtesting and public playing sessions of Space Race: The Card Game. Special thanks to Ondrej Kew Kurka for his amazing help with the events and gaming sessions!

Cards' Footers
Based on reports from playtesters, we have decreased the amount of text in cards' footers and also made the font size bigger to make sure it's easily readable. We've also clarified some parts of the text that seemed to be too complicated.

Round structure
We've also revised the round structure and moved some parts originally placed at the beginning of the round towards the end of the round to make the gameplay more smooth and accessible. This was very well received during playtesting sessions.

Rulebook clarity
At the moment (after more than 300 playtesting sessions) we're happy to say that the game mechanics are complete and really quite easy to play. However, we're still not satisfied with how the rules introduce the game to newcomers – it obviously needs more work, and that's exactly what we're aiming at in the following weeks. We've already got in touch with several industry established rules editors/reviewers to make sure the final rulebook will be smooth and easy to understand!

Print and Play Kit version 2
All the feedback we've received resulted in the second edition of the Print and Play kit. We'd be glad to hear what you think about it. Here's the link to the PnP version 2.

We've also got professional prototypes and we just love them! They look nice, dont't they?

Reviews
We have already contacted several industry established reviewers and asked them to preview Space Race: The Card Game to make sure you get an independent opinion about the game. All of them have already received the prototype of the game and we're awaiting their opinion.
Stay tuned for reviews by:
thumbsup Rahdo,
thumbsup Undead Viking,
thumbsup Ed Baraf,
thumbsup and hopefully some others!

Brand new artwork for the Breakthrough cards!
Dalibor, the artist, has been working hard on the illustrations. He drew several new amazing pictures for the Breakthrough cards.

Brand new illustrations for the Breakthrough cards! Stay tuned as more are coming!

Customised Control Cards
Dalibor has also created fantastic customised artwork for the Control Cards. Both the level (power) of the Control Card and the faction affinity is now reflected on the cards' front side. Furthermore, Dalibor also created a customised faction-dependent Control Cards' backs to make the game setup easier.

Check out how the artwork reflects each card's power (level) and also its faction (both on front and back sides).

Space Race met its origins
On Academia Film Olomouc, great science and space exploration related festival, we've met (and even played with!) some of the leading experts in the field. It's me on the picture below playing Space Race: The Card Game with Dr. Douglas Vakoch (president of METI International), James Carpenter of ESA and Pamela Gay, great astronomer, podcaster and actually even a boardgames enthusiast from NASA! It was just crazy! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to play a game about space exploration with people who really explore the space! And that they liked it!

Meeting the origins! From left to right: Dr. Douglas Vakoch (president of METI International), James Carpenter (ESA), Pamela Gay (astronomer and podcaster, NASA) and me playing Space Race: The Card Game.

Space Race Artwork Posters
We have also presented part of the Space Race Artwork at the Academia Film Olomouc festival printed on really huge posters! Just check it out!

Space Race artwork presentation.

Finally, the countdown has already started
After months of development, the rocket is finally ready to be launched! That's thanks to your support, which we really appreciate! We hope that your support will continue and that we, together, can make this game become a reality!

We'll get you informed right before the launch on Wednesday. And again, thank you for all the help and inspiration!

Here's the Press release thread of Space Race: The Card Game where you can find all the necessary links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the Laika card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Love the Laika card!

Thanks a lot! I love that one too! Also, stay tuned for brand new leader cards artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I listened to this short podcast - episode 16 and immediately thought of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
slashing wrote:
I listened to this short podcast - episode 16 and immediately thought of this thread.

thumbsup She's a true hero. RIP Laika!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How's this game going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, will the box be big enough to hold sleeved cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
How's this game going?

(Hi Marti, you probably already know the project status since our recent communication about translations, but others might also be interested.)

Short story here:
The game is doing really well and being manufactured.
Wooden rocket minis are already completed!
Cards and the box are in printing process right now.
The rulebook and the foam insert are about to be sent to the production.
Estimated delivery in February.

Long story is told in the last Kickstarter update.

marticabre wrote:
Also, will the box be big enough to hold sleeved cards?

Yep, it will!
Hopefully (but not guaranteed) it will hold even a sleeved expansion.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Merry Christmas to all Space Race fans, testers, contributors and all other wonderful people! It's been a fantastic journey!
Thanks!

For all of you who don't follow Space Race Kickstarter updates, here's also a Christmas present coming from Space Race central.

A full print resolution illustration of Saturn rising above lakes on Titan! A link for free download for personal use here.

And that's what I have all around my office just before the Christmas Zillion of wooden minis ready to launch!

Once again thanks you all for being a part of Space Race project!
Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.