Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it only me who wants to remake all the cards and print them out like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL.

That would be a huge negative from me. As much as I love Magic, I've always felt that it had some of the blandest card frames in the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably take a stab at making them somewhat appropriately costed to actual magic cards rather than just re-framing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMightyKong wrote:
That would be a huge negative from me. As much as I love Magic, I've always felt that it had some of the blandest card frames in the genre.

The impetus was not the frame, though I do prefer Magic frames. The extra gingerbread on the Epic frames just makes them look busy to me.

The main reason I was tempted was simply because the keywords that do the same thing as Magic but have different names slow down the game if you're playing with Magic players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
TheMightyKong wrote:

The impetus was not the frame, though I do prefer Magic frames. The extra gingerbread on the Epic frames just makes them look busy to me.

The main reason I was tempted was simply because the keywords that do the same thing as Magic but have different names slow down the game if you're playing with Magic players.

There is a perfectly valid option if you prefer to play a game with the templating and keywords presented in MtG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

My bad. I didn't enlarge the images. I just saw the MtG frames and assumed that was what you were talking about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
There is a perfectly valid option if you prefer to play a game with the templating and keywords presented in MtG.

What is that?

(I did back this game on Kickstarter, by the way, and am not advocating anything that would deny the creators the income they are due for publishing this game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

I would have very intentionally NOT bought the game. I absolutely live the design WW went with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Kløve wrote:

What is that?

(I did back this game on Kickstarter, by the way, and am not advocating anything that would deny the creators the income they are due for publishing this game.)

I think he was getting at "Then go play magic."

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then why are you eating chicken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
Kløve wrote:

What is that?

I think he was getting at "Then go play magic."

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then why are you eating chicken?

Bingo.

While you are obviously free to frame the Epic keywords however you like, I personally prefer to treat Epic as its own game and refer to Airborne, not Flying. Two reasons for this: the keywords in Epic are not carbon copies of Magic keywords. Breakthrough and Airborne behave different than Trample and Flying, because attacking is different in Epic. Also, some Epic keywords do not, to my knowledge, have analogues in MtG - Recall and Banish.

Second and more important reason: if people start referring to Airborne as Flying, it will make it harder to talk about Epic and to play the game with new people. Not everyone knows Magic - I haven't played it since the Dark, which is almost 20 years ago. I wouldn't know the referrences, and I would like to be able to discuss and play Epic with those interested in Epic. By reframing Epic to make it more familiar to Magic players, you will make it harder for non Magic players to participate, and that would be a shame. I like Epic a lot. I don't care about Magic at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to hate one and love the other, that is your business. I like both. The problem I face is that 100% of the people interested in playing with me also play Magic, and the changing of keywords is confusing.

Put another way, my post comes from love (for both games, in this case) and I don't got time for your hate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
If you want to hate one and love the other, that is your business. I like both. The problem I face is that 100% of the people interested in playing with me also play Magic, and the changing of keywords is confusing.

Put another way, my post comes from love (for both games, in this case) and I don't got time for your hate!

I don't hate Magic - that would require much too much of an investment. I am indifferent about Magic.

However, I like Epic a lot, and if people start to refer to Magic keywords instead of Epic keywords, that would be a problem for me, because the Magic keywords are not described in the Epic rules and are not printed on the Epic cards.

If you want to translate for your group to make it easier for them to get into Epic, that's great. I just like using the proper terms. It makes reading the cards easier (for me). I am the guy insisting on using the term boot, kneel, expend, exhaust and not tap. Because it is easier to play the game, if you use the correct terms. For me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
If you want to translate for your group to make it easier for them to get into Epic, that's great.

This was exactly my goal.

Also, Epic cards are a bit ugly to my eyes. Too frilly. They need simpler frames. But that's less important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
This was exactly my goal.

Cool I know how difficult it can be to get people into a new game, especially the CCG/LCG/ECG types, which require a bit more time investment to understand the rules and get to know the cards. I think many Magic players are doing mental translations of keywords. Personally I am thinking of triggers and effects in AGoT LCG terms

Dormammu wrote:
Also, Epic cards are a bit ugly to my eyes. Too frilly. They need simpler frames. But that's less important.

I like the Epic cards layout. Different strokes I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, why are you guys being all nice and civil to each other? This is the internet, you are supposed to take offense at everything that even slightly differs from your way of thinking! whistle

I like the "reboot" aspect of Epic. I played Magic a TON 20 years ago, but I am very far out of the loop. I see the guys playing at the local shop, and other than the cards looking about the same, the language and play seems so foreign to me. Rather than try to get in behind the boat and play 20 years of catch-up, I am considering Epic as sort of a re-boot to a wizard-ing duel type card game that will scratch that Magic itch for me, while removing that large barrier to entry.

Also, the card art in Epic wins for me, because I can't help but think that Magic hasn't really upgraded it's visual appeal in the 20 years since I played frequently, and seems dated. Plus, I have kids now, and the Epic art seems to be more fun? They like it better anyway.

Swapping out the keywords and art for Magic styles will kill reasons 1 and 2 of why I bought game.

But if swapping art and keywords works to get your gaming buddies playing, then I say do whatever it takes to get a game on the table. I know I couldn't get anyone in my group to play Descent with me, but slap a Star Wars theme on it, and see them line up out the door to play Imperial Assault with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

Nope, but I actually really like the new art so for me new card designs will stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not happening, but somehow I feel attracted to the old MTG style (despite that I think that MTG is a blood sucker business)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.