14 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alps Derby (Solo Variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I wrote and translated a set of rules for playing solo.
Thank you very much.

Printable Spanish file: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/173831/derbi-alpino-solit...
Demo in Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3jHccyjimI

STEAMPUNK RALLY - Alps Derby (Solo Variant)

- Note: if not mentioned, original game rules apply.

Setup...
- Racetrack: build it using all tiles (8) by their Swiss Alps side.
- Opponent Boost cards (10): build a deck with one copy of each "play during vent phase" cards (except "Optimization"), shuffle the cards and place them face-down.
- Player Boost cards (10): build a deck with one copy of the rest of the Boost cards, shuffle the cards and place them face-down.
- Opponent: choose your opponent (one or more) paying attention to their difficulty level (Inventor Cockpit).

Opponent traits...
- Indestructible: it doesn't take damage.
- Intelligent: it always moves forward through the shortest path to the Finish Line.
- Interconnected: its Light Bulb is automatically activated when player's Light Bulb is activated.
- Interlaced: when its Light Bulb is activated, the Dice and Damage icons on its Cockpit "listen" to those same icons on player's Machine (see rules below).
- Inductive: "Induction Motor" with 2 dice of 3 pips for level 0-4 inventions (they move forward 2 spaces) or with 3 dice of 3 pips for level 5 inventions (they move forward 3 spaces).
- Invention: Inventor Cockpit (individual) + "Induction Motor" (of its level) + "Optimization" (same permanent boost for all).

Light Bulb activation (Opponent Cockpit card)...
- Cog and Motion icons: Opponent receives as much cogs or moves forward as much spaces as the number of those respective icons.
- Dice and Damage icons: Opponent gains 1 cog (only once per icon) when the player activates the effect of that same icon by placing a die on player's Machine.
- Level 5: Margaret Knight, George W. Carver, Albert Einstein, Elijah J. McCoy, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla.
- Level 4 (it gains 4 cogs): Ada Lovelace.
- Level 3 (it moves forward 1 space): The Wright Brothers, Ferdinand Von Zeppelin.
- Level 2 (it gains 2 cogs): Hertha Ayrton, Guglielmo Marconi, Sakichi Toyoda, Alexander Graham Bell, Lise Meitner.
- Level 1 (it gains 1 cog): Alberto Santos-Dumont.
- Level 0 (Marie Curie): roll a die and store its result on her Cockpit, this opponent will move forward one space each time the same result is rolled during Race phase.
- Advanced Level: Opponent starts the race from the first space of the first Racetrack tile (not from the Start tile).

Boost Cards...
- Opponent's: ignore the Dice icons, when the text mentions "your opponent(s)", it means "the player".
- "Aether Tear": it is used for player's benefit, player can only discard dice different from the icon(s) on player's Cockpit, starting from those of fewest pips.
- "Faraday Cage": if the player wants to benefit from its effect, resolve it during Vent phase.
- "Particle Beam": if it is revealed in the first round of the game, return it to the deck, shuffle the cards and reveal a new one.
- "Repair Claws": it is used for player's benefit, player may discard as many dice as cogs has Opponent (the Invention with less cogs applies).
- "Tesla Coil": the player receives a yellow die.
- Terrain modifier cards: apply them on the immediate following space/mountain of your current position.

Draft phase (set-up)...
0. Choose a deck selection mode for the entire game.
a) Academic mode (colour/deck): yellow/gold, blue/silver, red/copper.
b) Free mode: each round, the player pairs a die (yellow, blue, red) with a Machine Part deck (gold, silver, copper).
1. Roll one die of each colour (3).
2. Reduce the dice subtracting 3 pips to all results over 3: Opponent gains 1 cog for each die reduced this way.
3. Apply the same boost distribution mode every round.
a) Analogue: if there is any die of 1 pip, reveal one Player Boost card; if there are 2 or 3 dice of the same number of pips, reveal one Opponent Boost card.
b) Digital: reveal one Player Boost card and one Opponent Boost card.

Draft phase (start of the round)...
- The results of the rolled dice determine which decks are available for card selection (3 cards maximum).
1. Take one card of each deck, select one, use it and discard the rest; with 3 dice of 1 pip, use the 3 cards and end the draft phase; with 2 dice of 1 pip, select and use 2 cards.
2. Take one card of each deck with a die of 2 or 3 pips, select one, use it and discard the rest; without dice of 3 pips, select and use 2 cards and end the Draft phase; with 2 dice of 1 pip and 1 die of 3 pips, you may take and use the card (ending the Draft phase) or discard it.
3. Take one card of each deck with a die of 3 pips, select one, use it, discard the rest and end the Draft phase.

Round (continued)...
1. Vent Phase: resolve Opponent's Boost card and discard it.
2. Race Phase: before rolling your dice, you may activate your Light Bulb, when you choose not to activate it, flip a Light Bulb token like a coin for each opponent, the Light Bulb result is applied to each opponent individually ("On" means it is activated); resolve your Boost card (for its effect or for receiving a die or two cogs) and discard it.
3. Damage Phase: Opponent uses "Optimization" (permanent boost).

End of the race...
- Count the number of spaces between your position at the end of the race and Opponent's (negative if you finished ahead).
- Scoring (like Golf): −4, Condor; −3, Albatross; −2, Eagle; −1, Birdie; 0, Par; +1, Bogey; +2, Double bogey; +3, Triple bogey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Re: How I play solo
I played a tremendous amount of solo when the PNP first came out and I built the Vassal mod. What seemed to work for the draft phase was this. On the first draft phase round, deal yourself four cards (one from each stack) and select one of those for use on your invention. For round two, deal a stack of four cards facedown, randomly choose three and turn them faceup and take one of those. On the next round, deal four facedown, randomly choose two, turn those faceup and pick your card from there. On the final round, deal four facedown, select one and use it.
This sort of emulates the card passing in that each round you don't know which type of card you will get and you could get, for example, multiples of the same type of card.
I matched up the inventors and played them head-to-head in sort of a March Madness tournament. I did several of these tournaments and found that little had to be changed in the original rules to make it work. Also, since I was playing a vassal mod, it was easy to duplicate track sections and make longer tracks. I also tried a scavenger hunt approach that got a little too involved where there were facedown chits on the track and the goal was to run around and collect all of the same type of chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated the drafting mechanic and did some other tunings.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tweaked the rules, added scoring and featured a video...
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you add this to the files section so people can download your rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
Here is an external direct link to the rules: https://plus.google.com/108068164917809709443/posts/HPMauqGR...
My idea was that the text can be copied and pasted into a text file (in anyone's computer).

I can email you the text file if you want.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo Mode - Alps Race
Hi, I polished the variant and the rules were updated.
(English translation may need corrections though).
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...in search of sanity ...
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi
I would love to give it a try but I have no idea how to play your variant blush

I have no idea what to do with opponents traits, how and when light bulb activations works exactly, what are the levels for?

could you please add english subtitles to your youtube video perhaps? Or write some examples of a full round or smth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for trying this solo variant, I will try to explain it a little bit with my limited English...

Example...
- You are racing against Sakichi Toyoda.
- This round, at the beginning of the "Race Phase", you decided not to activate your Light Bulb, so you had to flip like a coin a Light Bulb token for Sakichi Toyoda.
- You checked the result and the token showed the Light Bulb was "on": Sakichi Toyoda's cockpit was activated, which means he immediately received 2 cogs.
- The other couple of icons on his cockpit, one blue die icon and one damage icon don't grant him anything immediately, they remain "listening" to your actual turn (actions).
- Being the "Race Phase", you roll your dice and you use them to activate parts of your Invention.
- You decide to activate your "Combustion Chamber" by placing a yellow die on its card, which grants you a cog and 2 blue dice.
- Since you activated the effect of "receiving a blue die" icon, just like the icon on Sakichi Toyoda's cockpit, Sakichi Toyoda receives a cog, only one, because he only has one "receiving a blue die" icon on his cockpit, which means he can only receive one cog this way each round his Light Bulb is activated.

About Opponent Traits, Levels (of difficulty) and Opponent's Invention...
- "Opponent" means the "bot player", "your opponent", "the character(s) moved by the rules of this variant", "the artificial player against you in the race".
- When it says "Opponent traits...", it means "rules" you have to apply when playing this variant, they are not like the rules of the original game.
- I called those rules "traits" and I gave them names because it was like a "cool" and "thematic" way of introducing those rules.
- When it says "Level", it means the level of difficulty of playing against that character, as characters of higher level will move forward more spaces during the "Race Phase".
- The Invention of your Opponent(s) is built with their Inventor Cockpit (individual card) + "Induction Motor" (any card of that type) + "Optimization" (same permanent boost for all opponents).
- The "Induction Motor" makes each Invention of your opponents move forward during the "Race Phase": it is setup with 2 dice of 3 pips for level 0-4 inventions (which means they move forward 2 spaces), or with 3 dice of 3 pips for level 5 inventions (which means they move forward 3 spaces).
- Rules that only apply to your opponent(s): they don't take damage, they always move forward through the shortest path to the Finish Line (this is because some tiles have 2 paths, one of them with less spaces than the other).

About Light Bulb...
- The Light Bulb of your opponent(s) is automatically activated when you activate yours, this happens at the beginning of the "Race Phase".
- In case you don't activate your Light Bulb, all the other characters still have a "50%" chance of activating theirs. By flipping like a coin a Light Bulb token for each one of them, you will check which character(s) actually activates their Light Bulb during the "Race Phase" of that round.
- What a Light Bulb activation triggers on the Invention of you opponent(s) depends on what it is showed on the cards of their Invention, meaning that you will have to know or to check the icons on their cockpit card.

Light Bulb activation (Opponent Cockpit) and Icons...
- Cog and Motion icons (work like in the original game): Opponent receives as much cogs or moves forward as much spaces as the number of those respective icons (like in the original rules), when the Light Bulb has been activated.
- In order to make each character "unique", there is this rule to give cocks to you opponent according to the "unique" icons on their cockpit, these icons are the Dice icons and the Damage icons, which some characters have on their cockpit card.
- During the "Race Phase", you may activate some part (card) of your machine with that same icon(s), in such case, if the Light Bulb of your opponent(s) was activated, your opponent(s) gain 1 cog, once per round and icon.

I hope it helps. I will fix anything to improve the explanation of the rules. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you!!! It makes much more sense now

But still:
- if I'm correct dummies don'add any cards to their invention? They just have the cockpit and those other 2 cards?? (One of them common for all)
- what for do the dummies need cogs?
- what I do with my boost cards deck? I don't draft them so how can I aquire one? Do I have to play one each round?
- how dummies move? Only by light bulb activation and induction motor? And do they vent their induction motor part? Or is this constant speed for entire game?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

- Dummies don't add any cards to their Invention (Inventor Cockpit + "Induction Motor" + "Optimization").
- They use cogs for their "Optimization" card. During the "Damage phase", you follow the original rules applying them only to your Invention (the Invention of the dummies doesn't get any damage), while your opponent(s) use "Optimization" for moving forward, one space for each 3 cogs they discard (as estated on the card).
- At the beginning of the game you choose a "boost distribution mode" to apply in every round. There are 2 modes to choose from ('a' or 'b'), they are relevant during the "Draft phase":
a) Analogue: if there is any die of 1 pip, reveal one Player Boost card; if there are 2 or 3 dice of the same number of pips, reveal one Opponent Boost card.
b) Digital: reveal one Player Boost card and one Opponent Boost card.
- The boost card received by your opponent(s) is resolved during the "Vent phase" (all their boost cards are of the type "to be resolved during the Vent phase").
- The boost card you received is resolved during the "Race phase" (all your boost cards are of the type "to be resolved during the Race phase")..
- Dummies may move by (1) their cockpit when activated by the Light Bulb (if they have the corresponding icon), (2) spending cogs during the "Damage phase" (by "Optimization"), (3) constant speed (by their Induction motor, which remains untouched during the game, its dice are not vented).
- During the "Vent phase", you follow the original rules of the game for your Invention, while the only action that dummies do is to resolve and discard the Boost card they received in the "Draft phase".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
Great thanks - I think I can give it a try now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
I finally tried it with 3 dummy players levels 1,3 and 5
It was really nice and solid

I manage a win at standard length track (6 tiles total) - played 65mins.
First 4 tiles were very close race. But last two I had some great working machine and my win was quite spectacular (6 spaces ahead of the rest)

Some questions:
1. If I have more opponents, do each of them gets their own unique boost card each round or just one boost card for all the opponents?
2. If the boost cards ever run out - I should shuffle the discard and make new boost cards deck right?
3. Shoudn't Mr. Zeppelin (as a opponent) get a movement AND A COG/MOVEMENT instead of just the move during light bulb activation? Both of his cockpit cards have a lighbulb icon...
4. Do I have to use/discard my boost card each round or can I keep it for future rounds?
5. Do I see opponents boost cards during the draft phase or should they be revelaed only in the vent phase?
6. What is the order of vent phase? My venting or opponents boost cards?
7. What is the order of race phase? My race face including playing boost cards or opponents constant movement (2/3 spaces)?

thx for putting this together - I had a good time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amarice *
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing.

1. It is one boost card, the same, for all the opponents.
2. No, cards are not reused during the game.
3. The Cockpit is the card with the face/picture of the pilot. In this variant, the other part of the invention of a character (second card) is not used. All the opponents get the "Induction motor" alone. The player chooses one of the "Induction motor" cards in the game for all the opponents.
4. You have to use your boost card each round, you cannot keep it for future rounds.
5. Boosts cards are directly revealed.
6. There is no particular order.
7. There is no particular order, to move the machines of the opponents after moving the player's is easier to handle, I think.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls