Subject: 2nd printing sent to distributors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Overdeer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if the 2nd printing has been sent to distributors yet? I've seen it available on Amazon but that's it. I prefer not to order board games from Amazon as they don't pack them well for shipping. Any time-frame for when this will be available to buy at a FLGS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the one currently available on amazon is the 2nd printing. If you're in the US you can buy it directly from the website at http://www.faroffgames.com/xia/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They got more copies at my FLGS, so I'd say yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beerdoodle wrote:
I prefer not to order board games from Amazon as they don't pack them well for shipping.

This is a strange comment---Amazon does a better job of packing anything for shipping, on average, than anywhere I've ever shopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Overdeer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
beerdoodle wrote:
I prefer not to order board games from Amazon as they don't pack them well for shipping.

This is a strange comment---Amazon does a better job of packing anything for shipping, on average, than anywhere I've ever shopped.

Absolutely not! Amazon has sent me games very loosely packaged that have slopped around in the shipping boxes. They only use a piece or two of dunnage paper and leave a lot of room for games to move around in their shipping boxes. I've seen plenty of pictures of game boxes absolutely crushed from Amazon. I have only ever ordered games form Amazon a couple times, thankfully nothing was harmed, which surprised me after seeing how they packed them. I used to work in the packaging department for the company I work for, so I know what I'm looking at when I criticize the packaging implementations that a company uses. The only thing Amazon has going for it is its customer service.

CSI does the BEST with shipping using the pink packing peanuts. They make a mess when you open the box but I have never had a damaged game from them. I'm pretty sure they could send me an egg and it wouldn't break.

I'm not opposed to ordering a game from Amazon, it just makes me extremely nervous whenever I order a board game from them, so I'd rather not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beerdoodle wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
beerdoodle wrote:

Absolutely not! Amazon has sent me games very loosely packaged that have slopped around in the shipping boxes. They only use a piece or two of dunnage paper and leave a lot of room for games to move around in their shipping boxes. I've seen plenty of pictures of game boxes absolutely crushed from Amazon. I have only ever ordered games form Amazon a couple times, thankfully nothing was harmed, which surprised me after seeing how they packed them. I used to work in the packaging department for the company I work for, so I know what I'm looking at when I criticize the packaging implementations that a company uses. The only thing Amazon has going for it is its customer service.

CSI does the BEST with shipping using the pink packing peanuts. They make a mess when you open the box but I have never had a damaged game from them. I'm pretty sure they could send me an egg and it wouldn't break.

I'm not opposed to ordering a game from Amazon, it just makes me extremely nervous whenever I order a board game from them, so I'd rather not.

I have to agree with this. The last couple games that I bought from Amazon were shipped by them just tossing the games into another box with no packaging at all. The last one had plenty of room to shift around inside the box along with the smaller expansions enough for one of them to tear a hole in the top of the main game box. An $80 game brand new, still in the shrink wrap with a nice hole in it. Not a fun unboxing to say the least. It's been the same experience with my last few orders from Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
beerdoodle wrote:

For board games? If so, you live a charmed life! Amazon's pretty lazy about packing for board games in my experience. I'm lucky if there's enough air packs in the shipping box to stop the games from sloshing around. Any of the OLGS do an immensely better job of packing than Amazon does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also had pretty good luck ordering games from Amazon. I will say CSI does a better job, but my orders from Amazon have been fine.

Were you ordering from Amazon itself or one of the various other providers that sell from the website? That might be the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...no...Amazon can be awful.

I have ordered various expensive Kolinksy Sable brushes from them and they were literally just tossed into a box with the other items I ordered. Not wrapped or in a sheath or anything....just lobbed into the box with whatever random other books and DVDs I had on order with absolutely zero protective material keeping things from sliding around. I'll find the brushes all f***** up and bent somewhere inside the middle of a book somewhere. Its sad.

I have had games come in boxes three times bigger than the game with zero protective material.

I buy from Amazon all the time because of the prices but I completely agree that when it comes to the quality of shipping they are near the bottom of the barrel.

Also I am the supervisor of a shipping department and spend absolutely every minute of my day overseeing small package shipping. What I see coming from Amazon is a joke.

CSI -- very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
beerdoodle wrote:

In my personal experience, I've never bought a brand-new shrink wrapped game from Amazon that didn't have at least one noticeable ding/dent or knock in the box…

Usually, there's a standard shipping box, and a few of those "air pillows" (a few being gracious--one or two, far more standard) included.

Imperial settlers has a good 1" squared dent/rip in the front cover, and the insert is ripped, also. Caverna has a nice 3-4" long crease mark on the front cover… Etc.

I'm not Prime. I've heard they package for those folks better…

But, considering that the first wave KS for Xia was relatively notorious for dinged/smooshed corners (like mine!), not everyone will get the packaging right for a board game. The components and all of the important parts were/are perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it's worth considering who in your area is delivering Amazon boxes I guess.

UPS is the worst freight company in the world. Have you ever seen those guys in the backs of their trucks? Holy hell it's amazing anything EVER survives. I have honestly considered reporting them to the police sometimes for destruction of property. I can't believe it. Throwing boxes. Standing on boxes. Using one box as a stick to prod and jam another box back into a crevice to make room for more boxes. Squishing a box flatter so that another can fit on top of it...

Maybe if a different shipping company delivers Amazon in your area you wouldn't notice the poor packaging because the carrier isn't massacring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess our postal service is better then those in the USA I guess. But I have to agree, Amazon packaging is quite lousy. Usually its just a layer of thick cardstock around the item which protects from scratches, but not from dents or weight itself.

In case of Xia I wouldn't worry too much however. I never had a game with a box that sturdy. Its extremely thick and robust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
They have copies in my FLGS in the UK so they are obviously out and about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine last week from the closest thing I have to a FLGS with English language games (I live in Luxembourg), Games Lore Ltd in the UK. Their packaging is always excellent (never had a ding) and the order was promptly sent as usual.

So, yes. Xia 2nd printing is out and about. 8-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is funny!

Nothing that I say is going to change anybodies mind, I'm certain they are all firmly set. I love how people backup their claims with something that should lend credibility to their opinion, unfortunately such statements don't really work on the internets.

Not to single you out Seth, but it's your thread and you started this. Saying you work "in shipping" should lend credence to your claim, but saying so on the internet... well I feel it's completely irrelevant. Even if you could "prove it"... but sorry it's the internet and nothing would qualify as *proof*.

I've ordered dozens of games from Amazon (but again that's completely unprovable), and never had an issue. Not a single ding or mark. I've ordered probably 200 things from Amazon and never had an issue with packaging. Oh, and I also work in shipping, for SEARS.

That is why I find this thread funny.

P.S. I'm sorry about any negative experiences you've had. I'm definitely not an Amazon Rep. (also not provable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with Amazon suggests that they have algorithms for selecting the appropriate box size, packing materials, etc. Game retailers generally rely on human judgment. I suppose each has its strengths. The computer should generally do a better job, but it has to have the proper information. It could be that board games are not as well handled by the algorithms, as the amount of jostling they can stand may be less than some items of similar size and density, due to heavy components shifting within the box. I have ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon, but relatively few board games---all of the ones I have bought have arrived in perfect condition, though, unlike those I get from Kickstarter projects or some online game retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Overdeer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
This thread is funny!

Nothing that I say is going to change anybodies mind, I'm certain they are all firmly set. I love how people backup their claims with something that should lend credibility to their opinion, unfortunately such statements don't really work on the internets.

Not to single you out Seth, but it's your thread and you started this. Saying you work "in shipping" should lend credence to your claim, but saying so on the internet... well I feel it's completely irrelevant. Even if you could "prove it"... but sorry it's the internet and nothing would qualify as *proof*.

I've ordered dozens of games from Amazon (but again that's completely unprovable), and never had an issue. Not a single ding or mark. I've ordered probably 200 things from Amazon and never had an issue with packaging. Oh, and I also work in shipping, for SEARS.

That is why I find this thread funny.

P.S. I'm sorry about any negative experiences you've had. I'm definitely not an Amazon Rep. (also not provable).

It's kind of ridiculous to expect proof for everyone's experiences, whether on the internet or in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of ridiculous to quote my entire post and then only respond to the barest fraction of it. I mean it's all about perception.

I could totally go on and on about perception and confirmation bias (or message board etiquette), but I don't imagine that does anybody any good. Like I said, people's minds are made up, and *i* think this thread is silly.

At least the OP was answered...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Overdeer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous to quote my entire post and then only respond to the barest fraction of it. I mean it's all about perception.

I could totally go on and on about perception and confirmation bias (or message board etiquette), but I don't imagine that does anybody any good. Like I said, people's minds are made up, and *i* think this thread is silly.

At least the OP was answered...

Speaking of forum etiquette, you're doing fantastic job at completely derailing a thread, so thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derailing a thread? First off, the thread was answered in the first reply and several more times. So there isn't much OP left to discuss. Second, the whole rabbit hole we're down discussing shipping is your chosen discussion, so not much of a derailment there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys -- I'm all for arguing endlessly on the internet but this is just getting super silly.

I recommend we find something more exciting to argue about or go argue different things in different threads.

Here: Bernie Sanders is America's first real hope at an awakening in ages. Donald Trump. Patriotism. Cats. Best way to punish children. Rand Paul. Meeples vs Cubes vs Minis vs Standees. Coke and Pepsi are the same - shuttup about it they're both corn syrup. Coke and Pepsi with out corn syrup aren't the same -- both are delicious but taste different than each other but both taste better and are better for you. Gay rights. Abortion. Black Lives Matter. All Lives Matter. Kickstarter. Stretch Goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
CasualToast wrote:
Guys -- I'm all for arguing endlessly on the internet but this is just getting super silly.

I recommend we find something more exciting to argue about or go argue different things in different threads.

Here: Bernie Sanders is America's first real hope at an awakening in ages. Donald Trump. Patriotism. Cats. Best way to punish children. Rand Paul. Meeples vs Cubes vs Minis vs Standees. Coke and Pepsi are the same - shuttup about it they're both corn syrup. Coke and Pepsi with out corn syrup aren't the same -- both are delicious but taste different than each other but both taste better and are better for you. Gay rights. Abortion. Black Lives Matter. All Lives Matter. Kickstarter. Stretch Goals.
You forgot miniatures and stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best way to punish children would be to have them transcribe this thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of being on topic:

I just received my copy of XIA from Amazon and it is PERFECT. Not a single blemish, completely surrounded by airbags. They must have been reading this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Egri
United States
flag msg tools
Also received my copy of Xia from Amazon. Game was surrounded by air bags. I assume it is because Amazon has many different warehouses is why people get things from Amazon differently. I am in Colorado and every order I receive from Amazon is surrounded by those air bags. I ordered bubble wrap from Amazon and they put those air bags around it. I've never had a problem with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.