Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: furniture [+] [View All]
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a new thread for finished photos and information. If you would like to see the WIP thread, you may do so here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1425474/my-table-build-...

As of last night, my table is woodworking complete. What I mean by that is I have a couple table layers yet to do (the "felt" layer and the lexan layer), but the table is 100% complete, and the other stuff isn't going to happen till I resolve a slight unemployment situation. I didn't want you to have to wait for that

First, some stats (Nerds love stats!):

Leg Clearance: 25 inches
Deck Height: 9 inches
Top to floor: 34 inches

Overall Length: ~6 feet (desks in) / ~7 feet (desks out)
Overall Width: ~5 feet (desks in) / ~6 feet (desks out)

Vault Length: ~5 feet
Vault Width: ~4 feet
Vault Depth: 3 inches

Overall Weight: Somewhere within the 300-400 pound range. It requires 4 people to carry it any distance.

Materials:
-All wood components are Maple hardwood
-14x brass box hinges
-14x brass octopus cabinet pulls
-28x Magnetic cabinet hardware

Finish:
1x coat of Minwax wood conditioner
2x coats of Minwax English Chestnut stain
2x coats Polyurethane

Total Materials Cost: ~$2000
Construction Time in Man Hours: ~130
Construction Time in Concurrent Days: 37 Days

Now for some photos. Please keep in mind that the color inconsistencies you see are mostly due to the ambient light interacting with the table. You will even see the table change color completely shot to shot because of the lighting.

Above: The table in stealth mode. All leaves and false panels in place.

Above: Another shot of the tabletop. Here you can see the lighting effect I was talking about earlier. I promise you, all the wood is the same color

Above: The small desk side. I chose to split the non-GM short end of the table into two stations. These two seats are the smallest on the table, but they are useful if your're dealing with a party size of 6.

Above: One leaf off the table to show the interior vault space. A double-sided Chessex Mondomat (trimmed to fit) covers the floor of the vault.

Above: The hex side of the mat.

Above: All leaves removed, showing the interior vault.

Above: Vault Open, desks out.

Above: Loaded GM side

Above: Loaded Medium player desk (Long side of the table)

Above: Loaded small player desk

Above: As you can see, the 3 inch vault clearance is plenty of room for most 35mm miniatures. You may have to lay down your Red Dragon if you want to put the lid back on mid play, but for 99% of the games you will table, this depth is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should add a link to this thread on your construction thread in the first entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did. It's the very first thing I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god - I am so jealous. That is amazing work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holy crap! that looks amazing!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Amazing job, well done, I've been itching to do something like that for some time.

One thing that concerns me is the flip out bits - do they not kinda stop you reaching across the table ? Does it feel natural to reach across and interact with the table top, or does it feel like a hindrance ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! You have talent my friend. Very cool table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. With craftsmanship like that, it shouldn't take long to resolve your unemployment situation thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jomazael wrote:
Amazing job, well done, I've been itching to do something like that for some time.

One thing that concerns me is the flip out bits - do they not kinda stop you reaching across the table ? Does it feel natural to reach across and interact with the table top, or does it feel like a hindrance ?

So the desks are made to be used only during pen and paper RPG play (some people have suggested using them as food trays....but I would kill you if you tried that!), where interacting with the tabletop isn't quite the same as with a board game or card game.

With pen and paper RPGs the board is lorded over less, and while board strategy is certainly a component, it is far less critical and carried out with less severity. Basically I'm trying to say that when the desks are out people are generally going to touch the table less, be able to make many decisions from their seats, and won't really have the need to pour over the details of the situation like you might in board or card game play.

Having said that, sure. The desk essentially removes 6 inches from your reach. But I felt the space for books, character sheets, dice, etc outweighed the inconvenience factor.

Your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephan,

I'm not sure if you want your table added to the BGG table list now or wait until you get the play surface worked out. Whenever you do, you need to take one picture and add it to your gallery so I can link to it in the table list. Currently all your image appear to be hosted off site.

Table looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
Hi Stephan,

I'm not sure if you want your table added to the BGG table list now or wait until you get the play surface worked out. Whenever you do, you need to take one picture and add it to your gallery so I can link to it in the table list. Currently all your image appear to be hosted off site.

Table looks great!

Thanks!

Does this work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! Wonder if I could convince the wife that I should build one for the dining room...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
Good job! Wonder if I could convince the wife that I should build one for the dining room...

As perfect as this design is (IMO) for RPGs, I cannot really recommend it to dine on. The 9 inch deck makes it too high to dine on comfortably. There are plenty of other designs on these forums that would be suited for it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon_Turtle wrote:
VanMark wrote:

As perfect as this design is (IMO) for RPGs, I cannot really recommend it to dine on. The 9 inch deck makes it too high to dine on comfortably. There are plenty of other designs on these forums that would be suited for it though.

It is the an impressive RPG though, shame that you lost the functionality of actually using it for anything else in the process.

How hard is it to move miniatures around though? Looks like you have 1 ft+ just to hit the play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Bartley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Beautiful work, and a great result. Can't wait to see it completely finished.

I'm not sure where all the "reach" and "other use" complaints are coming from... you clearly explained the table's primary purpose, and it seems pretty obvious to me that if you don't use the foldouts you should be able to reach the play surface just fine. Then again, it is BGG so there's bound to be plenty of nits picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OJ Bartley wrote:
Beautiful work, and a great result. Can't wait to see it completely finished.

I'm not sure where all the "reach" and "other use" complaints are coming from... you clearly explained the table's primary purpose, and it seems pretty obvious to me that if you don't use the foldouts you should be able to reach the play surface just fine. Then again, it is BGG so there's bound to be plenty of nits picked.

Thank. You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall Weight: Somewhere within the 300-400 pound range.

surprise

I hope you put spring loaded, recessed coasters in the legs mate!!

Nice work on that unit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it shifts around pretty easily. You just can't LIFT it without help. A lot of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicey Llama
United States
California
flag msg tools
Fantastic table and a beautiful work of art. The craftsmanship is top notch.

I am confused how the player station operate. Are they open-bottomed when closed or do you use a bag of holding for the extra pieces? I see one open and I see one closed and I am just missing the link between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas jamin
Indonesia
medan
sumatera utara
flag msg tools
congratulation for finishing such amazing gaming table..
it sure is inspiring!!!!

why don't you built a store selling gaming table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceyllama wrote:
Fantastic table and a beautiful work of art. The craftsmanship is top notch.

I am confused how the player station operate. Are they open-bottomed when closed or do you use a bag of holding for the extra pieces? I see one open and I see one closed and I am just missing the link between.

The face with the drawer pulls on them is false. It's a magnetic piece you just remove and set aside when the player station is down.

niksla wrote:
congratulation for finishing such amazing gaming table..
it sure is inspiring!!!!

why don't you built a store selling gaming table

Thank you! And I appreciate you thinking I could sell tables, but I quite like the career I have already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work! Love the setup for the GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Beautiful work! Love the setup for the GM.

Thanks so much! thats my favorite part too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan McGee
msg tools
This table is amazing and I love it. You did excellent work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |