Subject: Slave One scale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without trying to insult anyone I'm looking for a more advanced Star Wars Nerd than me to tell me about Slave One as it stands next to the Flacon?

Looking at the two models next to each other, Slave One looks kinda HUGE!?

Is the scaling right?
Always thought it was way smaller than the falcon?

Is there any time when the ships are close enough to compare them?

When Falcon detaches from its hiding place in Empire and Slave One is in the Star destroyer garbage purge maybe?

Or Cloud City dock when the Han-carbonite is loaded?

Did FFG get it right or was it "embiggened" to fit into the then new "large ship" category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
Without trying to insult anyone I'm looking for a more advanced Star Wars Nerd than me to tell me about Slave One as it stands next to the Flacon?

Looking at the two models next to each other, Slave One looks kinda HUGE!?

Is the scaling right?
Always thought it was way smaller than the falcon?

Is there any time when the ships are close enough to compare them?

When Falcon detaches from its hiding place in Empire and Slave One is in the Star destroyer garbage purge maybe?

Or Cloud City dock when the Han-carbonite is loaded?

Did FFG get it right or was it "embiggened" to fit into the then new "large ship" category?

Don't own one yet, but feel fairly certain FFG isn't super concerned with scale. I think the Lambda and Slave I are probably off scale, just from what I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844224/slave-1-really-big
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Silt44 wrote:
Don't own one yet, but feel fairly certain FFG isn't super concerned with scale. I think the Lambda and Slave I are probably off scale, just from what I've seen.

From the FFG statements, I'd say you are incorrect.

Their goal is to have everything 1/270 scale - based on the Lucas Film/Disney specs provided to them.

The only place they broke from this is in Epic scale - and even there the next release (the Gozanti) is going to be in 1/270 to allow it to look correct when TIEs are mounted under it.

Edit: Here is an old FFG article talking about scale

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2012/7/16/the-mak...

..and the article that mentions the Gozanti to be released in the standard 1/270 scale

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/lying-i...

..and the scale of the other Epic ships
GR-75 Trasport.....90.00 m /400 = 22.5 cm, 9 in
CR90 Corvette......150.0 m /450 = 33.3 cm, 13 in
Imperial Raider....150.0 m /450 = 33.3 cm, 13 in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I think its a situation where the ships are all "officially" to scale, but the problem is that the "official" scales are not all entirely accurate or possible. The Falcon is especially notorious for having separate interior and exterior sets that were at different scales, making it impossible for a single "true" version of the ship to exist. Personally I believe the official dimensions of the outside of the Falcon are too small. For fun look up the scene from ESB where Han is on the Exterior and Chewie is inside the cockpit taking up ALL of the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what you mean, it looks pretty big. But think about it like this: the canopy on the Slave 1 is actually reeeally large, and pretty much covers 2 decks of the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Sweat wrote:
I think its a situation where the ships are all "officially" to scale, but the problem is that the "official" scales are not all entirely accurate or possible. The Falcon is especially notorious for having separate interior and exterior sets that were at different scales, making it impossible for a single "true" version of the ship to exist. Personally I believe the official dimensions of the outside of the Falcon are too small. For fun look up the scene from ESB where Han is on the Exterior and Chewie is inside the cockpit taking up ALL of the space.

It's bigger on the inside????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some (still unbuilt) scale models of each of these ships from Fine Molds, before they lost the license to Bandai. If you haven't heard of Fine Molds in conjunction with Star Wars, they made some pretty amazing model kits, the likes of which hadn't been seen to that point. Sure, as time went on people got more and more hyper-accurate with things and began to criticize them for some details (fairly, if you are looking quite closely), but that does not take away from how great they really are. Keep in mind these are pretend things the scales of which were fudged for filming anyway, so getting an agreed upon scale is problematic.

All of this to say that I just pulled out my Fine Molds kits for the 144 and the 72 scale versions of each of these to compare size of the two ships. The FFG ships are pretty much spot on to both scales of the Fine Molds Falcons and Slave Is from a top-down look. Without having them assembled it is difficult to compare a vertical dimension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
I think you believe Slave 1 to be too small. It is pretty big, has place for multiple captives, a bit of crew and of course the man himself, Boba. FFG is very exact with the scale of non cinematic ships. Sometimes that makes things odd, like with Y-Wings and A-Wings, but overall it looks better that way.

Have a look at the Bounty Hunter trilogy for some Slave one "insight". Its an allright read. Maybe don't if you have no tolerance pulpy writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Here's an "official" image of the Slave I to give you some sense of the innards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.