Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Gesler
United States
Forney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide on one of these games. Theme-wise I'm not really interested in Whitechapel. So...Fury of Dracula? Specter Ops? Am I missing another good one? I do prefer games with a pretty strong theme, and on that note would prefer FoD I'm just concerned with the really long playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm..

Scotland Yard
Mystery of the Abbey
Garibaldi: The Escape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played FoD and as far as I know the main concern with that game is the time. What I read about suggest around 6 hours...

Letters from Whitechapel is my choice of game over Specter Ops.
At least so far.

It's hidden movement in both games but essence and strategy is different.
Letters is move like outsmart stay hidden, confuse them, lurk in the darkness kind of game.
Spec ops... is more like... what and how you will proceed when they corner you. Because there is no way you can stay hidden in that game... There isn't really outsmarting there... its more like luck... because they always know your general whereabouts (ping by car or special abilities of hunters)
In my opinion the agents wins only if the hunters get bad shooting dice.
And the traitor mechanic is stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the two you have listed, I have not played Fury of Dracula (second edition) however I heard the original one can be very random and sometimes after spending forever trackign him down, you get him and he turns into a bunch of bats and disappears.

My Pick would how ever be Specter Ops the game is epic and the story line, board and minis give it a fair amount of theme even tho it is a fairly abstract concept.

Although I do feel it crys out for an expansion and maybe something else to do your turn as a very popular reviewer said not too long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd directly refuse to ever play Whitechapel again.... if you don't know where Jack is you're just casting around blindly for a round just in case, hoping to get lucky. awful.

Spectre Ops is supposed to not have this thing, it's easy to know where they are, but hard to actually get to them, so at least you have a known objective to achieve.

I've got Tragedy Looper recently, which might be seen as a clever evolution of this mechanic, but is quite a departure.

And I'm still interested in Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, which is hidden movement, but pushing more towards intelligent "divide and conquer" elimination to find the fantome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm kinda biased here since Fury of Dracula (2nd Ed.) is one of my favorite games ever. So my recommendation is easy here.

But there are cetainly other games that would fit the bill as well. You could take a look at Vampire Radar. It has fairly easy rules and playes pretty straighforward.

Another game you could consider is Clue: The Great Museum Caper. It's a rocksolid hidden movement game but also has that eary 90s classic game vibe going on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gesler
United States
Forney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses so far. You all have given me some other ideas to mull over. Thanks for the thoughts on Specter Ops and FoD, would love more input on those also. I hope to be able to play whichever I choose with my kissing the not too distant future so the Whitechapel theme would be a bit much.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps

Kill Doctor Lucky

Nuns On The Run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
I may be way off base but this reminds me of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. 1v1 where you have to deduce who the other player is moving.

And of course Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases.

I would say neither of those is hidden movement. The first is more like Stratego, and the second has no movement at all. The latter isn't even competitive. Someone else mentioned Scoland Yard, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

TomandJonna wrote:
Perhaps

Kill Doctor Lucky

Nuns On The Run

I have the old Cheapass game of KDL, and it has no hidden movement at all. Perhaps the newer version is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody recommended me this game Specimen which did not fit my needs but maybe fits yours? However...it's partially print and play. Available here http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/130732/Specimen-Board-Ga...

Deep Space – Echo Quadrant 3H-8 – The fully loaded commercial freighter T.C.S. Brown, its seven-member crew in suspended animation, is making the return run to Earth. In the cargo hold lies Dr. Viktor, also in suspended animation, and the mysterious specimen containers that came on board with him.

Awoken from their slumber to repair the damage caused by a meteor collision, the crew discover to their horror that Dr. Viktor has been killed and one of the mysterious specimens has been let loose as a result of the damage…and it is a life form that will stop at nothing to survive. The seven astronauts have only the tools and resources onboard to subdue and kill an organism never before encountered–an organism that evolves quickly into a nearly-unstoppable predator. Now, a simple repair job becomes a desperate struggle for survival.

In addition to trying to kill the crew, the Specimen is also actively trying to destroy the ship. If the crew doesn't stay on top of repairs, the ship will blow up!

SPECIMEN is a card-driven two-player strategy board game. Each turn comprises four action rounds, where each player can perform one of several possible game actions. The Specimen’s movements are hidden from the Crew player behind a game screen, and the Specimen’s location is only revealed when the Specimen attacks…or if the crew is lucky (or unlucky) enough to find it!

As the Crew:

• Search the ship to find the monster
• Construct weapons to fight the monster
• Repair the damaged ship
• Form teams to work more efficiently

As the Specimen:

• Choose from 25 different offensive, defensive and special attributes
• Move in secret through the ship
• Stalk the crew and attack out of the shadows
• Destroy the ship by damaging it section by section

SavageToddler wrote:
I'm trying to decide on one of these games. Theme-wise I'm not really interested in Whitechapel. So...Fury of Dracula? Specter Ops? Am I missing another good one? I do prefer games with a pretty strong theme, and on that note would prefer FoD I'm just concerned with the really long playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.