Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So its a hand management tactical battle game.

Its not strategic

Does it matter????

As a newcomer to both memoir 44 and battlelore I find them pleasantly refreshing and fun. I dont worry about luck too much, it happens, it gives you an excuse if you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:

Its not strategic

Does it matter????

As a newcomer to both memoir 44 and battlelore I find them pleasantly refreshing and fun. I dont worry about luck too much, it happens, it gives you an excuse if you lose.

My point exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
But not for anyone who owns *any* of the other releases. The way I look at any of the four releases is that you play them to have fun.
I don't own any others, but knew exactly what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:

Its not strategic

Does it matter????
Honestly, no, it doesn't matter all that much. Unless you are interested in playing the game well or being accurate in describing the game.

Does anyone dispute that playing the game strictly as a hand management, tactical game, you will lose quite often to someone combining strategy with tactics? If so, please tell me why. If not, can we dispense with the 'C&C games have no strategy' garbage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
craniac wrote:
Battlelore will never drop below #15!!! Why? Because:

1. It was purchased primarily by fans of the system who

2. Have to justify dropping $50 on the game.

Merits of the game aside, those two factors will lock it pretty high in the ratings. Days of Wonder has won the metagame, hands down!

Where does the phrase "hands down" come from anyway? Poker? Karate?
As i'm sure there will always be the critics who wish they would drop the money but won't bring themselves to.

You do make a good point... i'm not sure that's what will keep it high in the ratings, but i'm sure that constitutes a large portion of the people who bought it.

For the record, i'm #1, but #2 doesn't bother me at all. i don't mind paying for a game i'll like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
EvanMinn wrote:

rarbelaez wrote:

3d) Lore tokens are won randomly ...
This is a misleading statement.

They are won randomly *AND* at the end of every turn, you get up to 2 lore.
It is more misleading than that. They are won "randomly", but tend to be won in greater numbers by a player who is rolling fewer hits. Thus they actually act to reduce the influence of the luck of the dice rolls. Not that the game does not contain luck, but really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Battlelore will never drop below #15!!! Why? Because:

1. It was purchased primarily by fans of the system who

2. Have to justify dropping $50 on the game.

Merits of the game aside, those two factors will lock it pretty high in the ratings. Days of Wonder has won the metagame, hands down!
The logic may break down for two reasons:

a) BattleLore (even before its release) had incredibly wide appeal. Over at OgreCave Audio Report (for example), they pointed out that BattleLore was getting discussed at alot of the 'non-boardgame' sites out there - including indie RPG sites.
b) You don't have to own the game to rate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
rarbelaez wrote:

You can't build your army by spending points. Armies are predefined and placed for each scenario.
This will be addressed by GMT games in upcoming releases; not as "points" but using another mechanism appropriate to this type of game
Now there's a bold move by my favourite wargames company!

What if DOW retaliate by releasing figure packs for C&C:A?

In peace

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I'd always imagined it was born along the lines of:

"Okay, folks, show of hands, who's in favor of the idea to..."

*Overwhelming show of hands goes up*

"Alright, you win. Hands down."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oddgeir Aasebø
Norway
Bønes
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
craniac wrote:
A quick google leads me to this:

"To win something hands down (1867) is from horse racing, from a jockey's gesture of letting the reins go loose in an easy victory."

Luggage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2) It is Tactical, and NOT strategic.
Quote:
can we dispense with the 'C&C games have no strategy' garbage?

I just wanted to clarify that the Original Poster is correct in the traditional military sense: Battlelore is a 100% tactical game; there is no strategy.

Confusing the definition of strategy and tactics is very common and nothing to become defensive about - the incorrect use of the term "strategy" is widely accepted by the general public, which in a sense means that its incorrect usage is not really incorrect!

In BattleLore terms, strategy would encompass the decisions and circumstances that led up to the specific Scenario - why you and your opponent are fighting at this location and how you got to that point, why these exact units are engaged in this particular battle and most importantly what advantage you hope to gain by winning the scenario.

Use of the cards is still a tactical decision because it is guiding how, when and where you are maneuvering your units during the battle.

It is also important to clarify that "planning your tactics" before the game starts or several turns in advance is not strategy - it's still just planning your tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The phrase "hands down" is believed to come from horse racing. A jockey with a severe lead would not need to hold the reins tightly -- he could simply cruise across the finish line without bothering to properly direct the horse. He would be able "to win hands-down."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using as an example BattleCry, I believe it would not be hard to let players select some (6? 8?) cards BEFORE the game to represent "strategy".
Now you have enough cards to start that "Left flank offensive"
but tactically deal with the cards that follow.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
Germany
Wörrstadt
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

I was thinking about buying Battlelore - that big box and all the miniatures sure look tempting. But I was skeptical about the dice and the cards making it too much luck-based. Apparently I was right.

If I ever get the chance to play the game I'll do it though. Sometimes "luck-based" games are great, but usually it's not my cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Vigil
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb