flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a thread a while back on the ettiquette of gaming;

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/726772#726772

and although this was intended to be no more than the ramblings of a lone sad gamer, there did seem to be some positive feedback. Rule 6 has infact become a bit of a chant.

However I have grown increasingly tired of reading exchanges and submissions owing to various threads and responses that have frankly pissed me off for a number of reasons. So just to test the water, I humbly propose the following to be considered before hitting the submit button;

1/ If your main reason for submitting a session report is because you won and you are feeling smug, please don't bother.

2/ Just because you didn't get your head around the nuances of a game after one play, it is not necessarily 'broken'.

3/ Micro badges say more about you than non-matching biceps ever can. Less is more.

4/ GG is not real money. 100GG is not worth $15.

5/ Aldi may well be a lovely bloke, but I'm sure he doesn't expect 75thumbsup after every bulletin advising that the server needs maintenance.

6/ If you download a file for a game it probably is worth a thumbsup and it doesn't cost anything.

7/ If you ask a favour from someone on the geek (like can you scan this part of the rules and board for me as an example.....you know who you are) and offer 'a few GG' in return, no response with even a simple thank you is frankly taking the piss.

8/ If you want to trade a game, you need something to trade with. Fairies dreams and clouds are not enough.

9/ The wish list is not checked by friends and relatives keen to know what you want for a present trust me.

10/ No more claims to have a sooty copy of Poisson D'Avril please and please remove such claims from trade lists.

I'm sure there are more gripes...let rip guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on! Hold On! Give me a second...

There you go! Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
#6 and #8 I like.

Considering that you can buy games in auctions here with GG, and that people are willing to pay actual cash for it, I don't think #4 flies though. After all, if for some reason or another you decide you need 100GG, you don't have to value your time very highly to decide to pay $15 for it rather than spend hours writing reviews, session reports, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm behind you on this.

I) Don't rate games you've NEVER played.

II) Place your rating under the CORRECT game.

III) If you submit a game description, make it more than "It's a game with a board".

IV) Are fractional ratings REALLY necessary?

V) Don't bow down everytime a 'stats admin' lists another worthless correlation exercise.

VI) Make Geeklists lists about games.

VII) Stop asking for game selection info when it's available by just clicking on the game's name.

VIII) Try to be a bit more humble when announcing you've been to Essen or 'The Gathering'

IX) Quit calling new BGGers and gamers terms such as 'noobs' and 'newbies'.

X) Understand that I have a number of personal rants that you can just take or leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XI - Don't use Roman numerals when real ones are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Hold on! Hold On! Give me a second...

There you go! Enjoy!

I'm afraid there are a few more to spit yet. But thanks for the loan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

The value is somewhat fluid, but since there is a complete page of auctions for actual products for GG as well as cash, GG certainly does have a real world value. I've bought 3 games using only GG so far, and will do so in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:

Actually, some of people use them as annotations, not fractions. Some people track games they have/haven't played at a game night or who they played with. Like 5.1 means I brought it to game night and no one wanted to play, 5.2 means we played once, 5.6 means we played 5 times. The second number can be used to denote number of players preferred. 5.34 means played it twice with 4 players.

Sure there's other ways to note these things, but realize some people use it for more than increased granularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy something on the marketplace, LEAVE FEEDBACK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. And I thought we were living in a world, where we should try to accept that people are different.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
1/ If your main reason for submitting a session report is because you won and you are feeling smug, please don't bother.

So what? Do we have a specific list of "Reasons to submit session reports" that should be read through before submitting an entry?
This - as I see it - is what the thumbsup is for. Session reports that are hardly worth reading won't get any.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
2/ Just because you didn't get your head around the nuances of a game after one play, it is not necessarily 'broken'.

...and you will find persons giving suspicious rating for a billion different reasons. I've seen people give ratings on games they havn't even played or even seen. They just read about it. Duh. Give it up. After all each game is given hundreds or even thousands of ratings, so each of these ratings are just drops in the ocean.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
3/ Micro badges say more about you than non-matching biceps ever can. Less is more.

So what? Different strokes for different blokes. Some people like them, and find it worth spending some GG on these. What is that to you? You don't like them? Then don't get any. But because you don't like them, noone else should get them? Jeez.

Big Bad Lex wrote:

Read the comment on this one further up. It was spot on.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
5/ Aldi may well be a lovely bloke, but I'm sure he doesn't expect 75thumbsup after every bulletin advising that the server needs maintenance.

Now this one I can actually agree with. wow

Big Bad Lex wrote:
6/ If you download a file for a game it probably is worth a thumbsup and it doesn't cost anything.

Maybe. I tend to look at the file first. If I find it useful it gets one. If it's not useful. It doesn't get any.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
7/ If you ask a favour from someone on the geek (like can you scan this part of the rules and board for me as an example.....you know who you are) and offer 'a few GG' in return, no response with even a simple thank you is frankly taking the piss.

Now this actually looks like something, that DOES qualify for a BGG Ettiquette list.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
8/ If you want to trade a game, you need something to trade with. Fairies dreams and clouds are not enough.

...and if someone seems to have missed the finer uses of the site, it shouldn't be too hard to bring their attention to the "for trade" attribute in their games list, so people can see which games they are willing to give up. If this happens to you as often as you try to make it sound like, you should save an entry, from which you can do a copy/paste.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
9/ The wish list is not checked by friends and relatives keen to know what you want for a present trust me.

Maybe it is. If you send a link to them, or simply print it. I did that, and handed it to my girlfrind.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
10/ No more claims to have a sooty copy of Poisson D'Avril please and please remove such claims from trade lists.

Frankly I don't know what you are talking about here, so I will abstain from commenting.

I don't think the pacifier handed by MWChapel is justified. I'd rather see you as a grumpy old man. Ease up. Most of your points, I really can't see are that much of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MXMLCCI/ If your post is nothing but a rant, put the word "Rant" in the subject.

(What's my use of my wishlist have to do with etiquette? By the way, my new best-fried-for-life bought me Dawn Under from looking at my wishlist. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik,

Nick's original list had item #8 that allowed me to be in Rome......cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Real ones? When did Roman numerals become unreal? They may be little used or poorly understood, but unreal? Are you going to complain about "made-up" words next, as opposed to "real ones"?

ahem.

Please continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davebo,

As near as I can decipher.... you meant MMCXLI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Hmmm... That's odd because every game I got for Christmas matched an item from my Wishlist.

But that's beside the point, how and why is this against etiquette?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Real ones? When did Roman numerals become unreal? They may be little used or poorly understood, but unreal? Are you going to complain about "made-up" words next, as opposed to "real ones"?

ahem.

Please continue.

Heh, as soon as I hit post I knew some nitpicker would squawk about the world real. True I should have used "Arabic" instead. But since it was intended to be humorous, rather than scientific, I had hoped no one would bother.
Guess I was wrong.

Ahem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Only #7 seems worthy of any attention. I usually do it the other way around: post a request *without* a bribe and then just dump the GG on the person who supplies the information. I can see the concern there.

The rest appears to be an attempt to impose a personal world view on a large community. Good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Rokkr wrote:
But since it was intended to be humorous, rather than scientific, I had hoped no one would bother.
Guess I was wrong.
Ahem.

To paraphrase (I think Mark Jackson) in his comment on Board Game Speak:

Have you visited the website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stony wrote:

I don't think the pacifier handed by MWChapel is justified. I'd rather see you as a grumpy old man. Ease up. Most of your points, I really can't see are that much of an issue.

Apologies but I seem to have left off item 11;

11/ And DEFINITELY before hitting submit, make sure you've not taken a thread too seriously. Occasionally there are some thinly veiled attempts at humour out there trying to lighten the day up a bit. They'll be the points that aren't much of an issue.

Now pass me my pipe and slippers you young wipper-snapper you..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding #9 - about your friends/relatives not checking your wishlist for what you want

SAY IT AINT SO!!!

At least let me dream, mmmmmkay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
I have grown increasingly tired of reading exchanges and submissions owing to various threads and responses that have frankly pissed me off for a number of reasons. So just to test the water, I humbly propose the following to be considered before hitting the submit button;

Who pissed in your Corn Flakes this morning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mib668 wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
But since it was intended to be humorous, rather than scientific, I had hoped no one would bother.
Guess I was wrong.
Ahem.

To paraphrase (I think Mark Jackson) in his comment on Board Game Speak:

Have you visited the website?

Hmmm, a website I haven't visited? I am remiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert numeral from number system of choice Before posting a variant to a game please ensure that

1) You have played the game
2) You have played the variant being posted.

P.S. When did the emoticon between d10-0 and d10-2 break, or is it just my browser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has etiquette?

When did that start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
RaffertyA wrote:

I have rated over 200 games and I absolutely could not do without 7.5 and 8.5. I don't see the need for anything more granular than halves and quarters though.

I do. When a game is just slightly better then another, I might rate it 1/10th a point more. When a game is a foot step from a 10 it might get a 9.99. This way I get closer to a personal game ranking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.