Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tiles, as we all know, that keep on 'paying out', like the Housing Association. In the rules leaflet that's made really clear, that you get the reward when placed but also when other green tiles are placed in the future too. There are other tiles that pay out in the future in this way, also made crystal clear in the rules leaflet that details tile effects.

Where I am confused is that there are tiles, like the airports, that apparently work in the same way according to various threads here. But the rules leaflet, that took such apparent care to be clear about tiles that pay out in the future (even on someone else's turn) doesn't specify this in the same way it so carefully did for other tiles.

The airport is an example. My income goes up by one for every airport built already at the time I place it. And then later if my opponent places another airport then they can count my recent one too. But then also apparently I get another +1 income, because there's a new airport in town (therefore working like a Housing Association). But the rules leaflet does not mention this at all in its description of how that tile works. A literal reading of the rules states that you get the reward when you place the airport, but not going forward when a new one is placed. And there are plenty of other tiles that could work like this too, but again the rules leaflet does not specifically say so (despite specifically saying so for other tiles).

So what is right? A literal reading of the rulebook suggest to me that several things I've read on BGG about how those tiles work are incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way you can interpret is that with the iconography spelled out explicitly and methodically a handful of times, the same applies to all future instances (meta I know). I suspect some words have been sacrificed to keep the rulebook length down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am just so unsure. The specifics in effect description about future rewards are not mentioned at the start then just dry up assuming you get the gist, they are found throughout the tile leaflet as if specifically placed there to emphasise that in those cases there are future rewards.

It's also that by playing a more generous application of future rewards (to tiles like the airport) I got huge amounts of money and had so much population at the end of the game I went right off the top of the population track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simple rule of thumb

If the symbol is on the right hand side, it happens once. If it is in the banner at the bottom, it happens every time a corresponding tile is placed.

Airports are powerful, but only in a critical mass and they don't come out every game. They definitely aren't broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha - the symbols. I totally forgot to use them as a guide to interactions and mechanics.

THANK YOU : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hobbs
msg tools
mb
DAAAN wrote:
The simple rule of thumb

If the symbol is on the right hand side, it happens once. If it is in the banner at the bottom, it happens every time a corresponding tile is placed.

Airports are powerful, but only in a critical mass and they don't come out every game. They definitely aren't broken.

Yep...the airport is basically an investment risk; counting that more airports will come out of the stack and that you/others will buy them (read: not burn/lake them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hobbs
msg tools
mb
thecodezombie wrote:
DAAAN wrote:
The simple rule of thumb

Yep...the airport is basically an investment risk; counting that more airports will come out of the stack and that you/others will buy them (read: not burn/lake them).

And the fancy restaurant is the same ilk but the exact opposite...it's an investment risk, counting that no more food places will come out of the stack and that you get the opportunity to lake/burn them before others get to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.