Subject: Fleet markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balancing mechanism: when a Rebel fleet leaves a marker, the marker is flipped over. Why make the Death Star "destroy" an empty space?!?

This puts the Death Star into position to do some serious damage and requires the Rebel player to need to concentrate more on spending actions to evenly deploy the fleet, rather than having the luxury of knowing there is lots of time to let a mass of ships float in the middle of the outer ring while devoting cards to converting Vader and destroying the shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I like it a lot, actually.

If the rebels mobilize their reinforcements, they've just quickened the pace at which the Death Star can be used in space sectors. Thematically, it would represent the carrier ships deploying their fighters then getting out of targeting range.

Plus ... no more shooting at empty fleet markers!
Yays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I like it! I like it a lot, actually.

If the rebels mobilize their reinforcements, they've just quickened the pace at which the Death Star can be used in space sectors. Thematically, it would represent the carrier ships deploying their fighters then getting out of targeting range.

Plus ... no more shooting at empty fleet markers!
Yays!

Exactly. The game I played schizolo, I had the Empire concentrate on taking out Luke and targeting fleet markers as much as possible early on, and the Rebels got the fleet to safety (losing only one set of Y-wings) and attacking Vader, ignoring the assault on the shields early on. The Rebels converted Vader one card before he would have killed Luke and won the race to the shields easily. The bonus cards were devastating. The Empire had destroyed about a dozen Rebel ships before the Death Star fell, and the Death Star only destroyed four fleet markers (three of them empty.)

I haven't tried this variant yet, but I am certain I'll prefer it. Will try it with others next week.

May also have to take a look at that bonus card rule, as I suspect it may benefit from tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea but what's to stop the Rebel player from keeping one fighter on each fleet?

You could make a rule that if any figher moves off of a fleet marker, then all of them must move off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this sound too powerfull and doesn't incite the Empire to use the death star until all the ships left the fleet tokens.
Game doesn't really need balancing rules anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel like you need a balancing mechanism for the Empire related to the Death Star, I think you would be better off simply giving the Empire a bonus card when they destroy a fleet token. Or make the Death Star more powerful by eliminating two fleet tokens if you roll a 5 or 6 on both dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, all, thanks!

More plays will tell the tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.