United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I broke a solemn oath today.

I don't like crowd sourcing. I feel it is disruptive to the hobby, exploitive, overselling, and generally dicey. I made an oath... I'd back one thing. Until it delivered, I would back nothing else. And I see a lot of things, involved as I am in Protospiel and having many developer friends. Mobile Frame Zero 002: Alpha Bandit funded on April 25, 2014. It was projected for December 2014. As of today I have not gotten anything. So I don't back things. I did back the game I designed, but that's business, not personal.

Today, I am backing Saga of the Northmen in violation of my oath. I don't feel the oath was ill considered. I mean to hold to it from now on. But I'm doing this - breaking my word to myself - because I really like this game that much.

I turned the publisher onto it. The designer is a friend. But the real reason is... I just plain really like it. And as my friends tell me, I like almost nothing. It is a very solid area control, old school style strategy game. No gimmicks. No brilliant innovations. But clever. Fun. The kind of thing you'll still happily play over and over for years to come.

When I first played this, it had an Age of Imperialism theme, one I quite like. When the publisher went to the more popular theme of vikings, I was disappointed. But you know, on seeing the great art and solid re-interpretation, I find I'm able to get over my minor unhappiness. I like Vikings too... and this works that way. I see that the designer - a lover of historical and wargame themes I know through our local design meetups - has done his homework. The game play is the same as he developed, so my assessment from development hold regardless.

I see that the publisher compares it to Ticket to Ride. This i couldn't disagree with more. It should be stated that this is an old school game, in the style of classics like El Grande or Tigris & Euphrates. It is not simple, light, family fun like Ticket. It is an elegant, clear strategy game. It has elements of luck, but so do El Grande and Tigris. This one uses drafting of cards, so perhaps that is where the publisher sees Ticket in it, but this is an area majority system, not route claiming.

I attend a lot of local game conventions. At them I'm usually running the best of the best, not the latest flavor of the month. I run Tikal, Puerto Rico, El Grande, or Tigris.

And I look forward to adding this to the rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, it reminds me of K├Ânig von Siam. I know that some folks will disagree, but I feel it is closer to King of Siam then TTR. I love King of Siam and this game gives me a similar experience. I've played this game dozens of times (in some form or fashion) and I recommend folks give it a shot.

Having seen an early version of the game (which I enjoyed as is), I'm very impressed with Scott and Minion's continued investment in development. One of the biggest problems many games on kickstarter face is the lack of development before seeking crowd sourcing. This lack of development drives many problems and ultimately has made me a very cautious buyer. Rest assured, minion is a company that appears committed to developing their designs. And, this game seems even better today than when I first played it.

Why I like it....
Easy to learn and teach
Easy setup
Plays fast
Not fiddly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls