4 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant Idea: Team Marathon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike P
Canada
flag msg tools
I haven't tested this mode out, but I was thinking of a team variant of steampunk rally to help new players learn. Here are the notable deviations from the main ruleset:

- Players form teams of two, each choosing an inventor and connecting their starting parts with a random bronze 4-way part. (Or maybe they simply join at the end of the first draft phase- read about splitting and joining further down)

- Since I suspect vehicles in this mode will move much faster, all 8 track cards are used (hence the "marathon").

- In the draft phase, each player on a team drafts a part onto their joined machine. Now, instead of paying attention to what your opponents are drafting, you must also get a feel for what your teammate is going for. Draft order may have to be staggered so that players aren't passing packs directly to their teammates.

- In the vent and race phases, resources like dice and cogs are shared. Damage and movement are shared. Lightbulb abilities are all resolved at once.

- If the two machines are separated, either by choice or because it is impossible to connect the two with the current parts in the machine, the two machines split. When split, both players are still on the same team, but they no longer share resources, damage, or movement. When the split occurs, split the damage level as evenly as possible (ie. -3 would split into -1 and -2, the team chooses who gets the -2). Cogs and dice are split as evenly as possible. The downside to being split, other than not being able to share movement and make use of each other's parts, is that for the purposes of victory, the teammate who is furthest behind counts for your position in final scoring.

- If two separated teammates start the draft phase in the same space, they may rejoin during the draft if the connections allow it. When this happens, the dice and cog pools are rejoined, and the combined machine has the added shield totals of the two vehicles.

Ramifications:

- The power level of cards that care about number of parts in a machine have changed. The boost card that makes players take damage for number of parts in their machine may be too powerful. Cards like aerodynamic are less powerful

- The race phase may not be as fun to resolve if one player takes charge all the time. However for new players, this is a good way to learn how the game works. The more experienced player could also let the newbie drive and give input and check to make sure they aren't misunderstanding the rules.

Anyways, like I said, I haven't tested this, so there could be some glaring flaws with this mode. Let me know if you test it or if you think of any holes in the rules.

fake edit: I just thought about how insanely powerful an Edison/Tesla combo would be. Note to self: possible errata saying that they cannot be on the same team, because they hated each other in life. Then again, Lovelace + anyone would be just as powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would the team determine how damage is caused, would there be only one wheel to keep track of damage, what parts fly off in the damage phase, and what happens if one of the cockpits explodes??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Canada
flag msg tools
Damage would be shared, so only one wheel would be used to track damage when the vehicles are linked. When taking damage, the team would choose which parts fly off.

Most of the time, when exploding, the vehicles will have already split apart since it's difficult to link two cockpits when you don't have a lot of parts. In the situation where a linked machine takes enough damage that one of its cockpits would be discarded, the team could choose which cockpit explodes and gets sent to the back of the line. If both cockpits would be discarded, they would both be sent to the back of the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark zukowski
Canada
flag msg tools
I like the idea. I wonder how hard on players it would be to impose that the two could never be split apart.

I might take out some of those damage boost cards, but the ones that shoot you forward can still be good for last turn extra boost. After both team mates pick a card from the draft they should be able to work together to resolve whether they add it as a part or take it for their stash.

For drafting so long as things are consistent, be it across the table, next to each other, so long as each team get the same treatment, being across the table (based on player count) your team will see more cards then if you sat next to each other. But sitting across the table makes it harder to operate your vehicle during race phase.

Let me know how it goes when you try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls