Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail Strangers!

Sharp your blades and wear your armour because the adventure is near...

The entire article is available here:

http://www.aresgames.eu/15474

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man first Queen, now Ares and Paizo are managing all of their "risks" by offloading it to the backers? I can understand it for first time or small scale publishers, but after you have made several big name and popular games it really looks like simply not wanting to have to actually do good business, or take any of the risk yourself. Looks like another company I loved and bought everything they released because of quality and dedication to making it the best that I will now have to not buy anymore products from.

I know, I know, big deal there will be plenty of others willing to drop down their money to make sure this hits every stretch goal, but it still just makes me a little sad to see such well respected game houses that were manging their risks fine simply offload them to the customer base so they don't have to anymore. Next thing you know Hasbro and Fantasy Flight will start putting all of their latest upcoming products on Kickstarter so they don't have to pay for research and development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Man first Queen, now Ares and Paizo are managing all of their "risks" by offloading it to the backers? I can understand it for first time or small scale publishers, but after you have made several big name and popular games it really looks like simply not wanting to have to actually do good business, or take any of the risk yourself. Looks like another company I loved and bought everything they released because of quality and dedication to making it the best that I will now have to not buy anymore products from.

I know, I know, big deal there will be plenty of others willing to drop down their money to make sure this hits every stretch goal, but it still just makes me a little sad to see such well respected game houses that were manging their risks fine simply offload them to the customer base so they don't have to anymore. Next thing you know Hasbro and Fantasy Flight will start putting all of their latest upcoming products on Kickstarter so they don't have to pay for research and development.

Whats wrong with them using KS? I prefer companies using it to tell the truth. More fun then a one boring picture online of a coming soon game. Should they get a more expensive bank loan and go under if they game bombs? And I don't think Ares is in the same ballpark as FFG or even remotely in the same universe as hasbro. The designers of this game are some great guys, interact on these boards, quick customer service and they make great games. Not to mention you get more plastic this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:

Why do you say "now"? Ares has done it for awhile and they are still super tiny anyway. What has Paizo done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I respect any idea about KS and company business, but please remember that Sword & Sorcery is a Gremlin Project game, exactly as it was GD, Ares games is the producer, this means that Me and Nunzio are the authors and Ares, if the campaign will goes well (as we hope!!!), will make the fantastic production job to realise the game, making all the components fantastic like ultra-detailed figures, thick cards, 2/3mm punchboards, and so on...

Creating a game like S&S require an extremely high amount of money and as you know, Gremlin and Ares are not Hasbro or FFG.

We can create good games and provide the best possible support, BUT without KS, most likely this game will never see the light.

Backers are very important for us (Gremlin Project has 37 backed projects at the moment ) and for this reason the S&S campaign will grant many deluxe components to each backer, since the beginning! in addition to many great stretch goals off course cool

That's all.

Thanks

Simone Romano
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that use of KS should be limited to small companies/niche projects. Otherwise, the problem (to me at least) is this: Here in Germany, I guess, some FLGS struggle with a lot of major game projects going to KS. That means, several hundred copies of the game are sold not through FLGSs but through KS. I want to support my FLGS. I think it's worth having them. But for them to survive, at least major game companies shouldn't resort to KS, IMO.

This is why I love Ares/Gremlins' decision to make a lot less KS exclusive stuff for Sword & Sorcery. This way, you get the full game experience even if you don't back their KS (always assuming the project gets funded, which I don't doubt, however). Also, I think Ares/Gremlins are still small enough that they can bring fine games to KS without harming LGSs too much. As for Queen Games, that's a whole different story.

That said, I guess, the Sword and Sorcery KS will find me backing it Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that, at least for GD, the Kickstarter didn't pay for development costs. If memory serves, Gremlin Project mentioned at some point that they had been developing GD for a couple of years before they even showed it to Ares when looking for a publisher. Unlike a lot of the sketchy board gaming Kickstarters that show up, Gremlin Project has historically been very good about using it to pay for production costs rather than to fund internal development.

If you don't like Kickstarter, then by all means don't back it and buy the game at retail! I do think you'll be missing out, though; Gremlin Project has a solid record with their Kickstarters so far, and it's a far cry from companies like Queen.

Also worth noting that Ares is still producing games normally (I'm really looking forward to their upcoming Co-Mix storytelling game, for instance, which never even came close to Kickstarter). They seem to mostly only go to Kickstarter when they're working with a project that has a really large initial production cost (lots of minis/custom components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a few minutes I was all excited as I thought it was a remake of that most excellent classic game:

Swords & Sorcery

But it has nothing to do with it. soblue

I Pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all, thank you for the game!

a coop dungeon crawl is great! looking forward to it!

playing solo, playing with the wife! perfect.

so 110$.... i always thought KS is a give and take between the baker and the company.

so the baker risks his money on an unfinished product and waits 9 month and the company therefor makes a good deal for the baker.

the game will be at 70-80$ at retail just like GD.

so you pay 30 more... just for some strech goals...
i think the price should be at least as low as the real retail price... so that the stretch goals are real boni and not 30$ buys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
first of all, thank you for the game!

a coop dungeon crawl is great! looking forward to it!

playing solo, playing with the wife! perfect.

so 110$.... i always thought KS is a give and take between the baker and the company.

so the baker risks his money on an unfinished product and waits 9 month and the company therefor makes a good deal for the baker.

the game will be at 70-80$ at retail just like GD.

so you pay 30 more... just for some strech goals...
i think the price should be at least as low as the real retail price... so that the stretch goals are real boni and not 30$ buys
if you don't want to pay for the ks extras why not just until retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The different trains of thought on buying on KS rather than waiting for retail, so far, seem to be:

1.) Offer Exclusives

2.) Offer a Better Value

3.) Combination

I think if they go strong on the first one then they are covered. I would also prefer 2 in all situations, but the market wants what it wants. I also think that adding in the card holders and such also fall under 2.

Lastly, I'd wait and see how the project aligns SG's. This could make 119 look small compared to what you are getting.

We shall see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.