Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a Speech Pathologist in training - any SLPs out there -know of any games that she could use in therapy sessions?

She meets with a 60 year old in a wheel chair once a week for an hour..part of her school clinic studies.

He has the use of one hand and wants to practice using his IPad to communicate...he also writes on a white board.

Anyone out there have experience with this, and if so, are there any great games that could be used to help someone practice their speech communication?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well My child was in speach and they used Spot It to try and get him to form words. They have a wide varity of "flavors" of that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is an SLP but works primarily with fluency issues, specializing in stuttering. She plays a lot of games with client but they don't have the physical limitations.

She works with lots of kids, so Headbanz, Guess Who, etc dominate the selection. Maybe a more adult game might be Concept or a good co-op that's not too long? Forgotten Desert, Hanabi (with a card holder), etc? I'm no SLP though so I will ask her this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! would be interested to see what she says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
For younger kids, you might try Slamwich, by Gamewright. The game mechanics are like Snap, but it involves sandwich fillings. When we play with our family, we always have the most fun when we call out the filling as we play it ("pickles!", "cheese!", "peanut butter!" - "eew!") Similarly, a classic Memory game might work if you name the pictures as you flip them over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been an SLP for 10 years and I use games in therapy with many adults. Send me a private message with some more details and maybe I can give you some good suggestions. I have mostly used iPad applications for cognitive therapy and for biofeedback with voice therapy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
I have been an SLP for 10 years and I use games in therapy with many adults. Send me a private message with some more details and maybe I can give you some good suggestions. I have mostly used iPad applications for cognitive therapy and for biofeedback with voice therapy.

Awesome! I will share this with my wife and PM you. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.