Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Character Class Deck Questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has questions about Character Class Decks, post them here. I have 2 so here goes:

1)Cave Troll card. It reads "Melee: Unless your Hero or Ally makes a successful melee attack, discard 2 hearts from this Challenge at the end of each melee phase. Reward: 3 Gold."

Huh? The Challenge only has 3 health to begin with. So does that mean that if no one hits in melee, the Cave Troll will be down to 1 Health, but if they do hit in melee the Troll doesn't lose anything? Doesn't make sense... but is that what it means?

2)Wind Blast spell. "If your Hero defends during the first ranged phase, you automatically succeed."

Huh? Ok, so if you defend you beat the encounter, or you just successfully "auto hit" in the first ranged phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
If anyone has questions about Character Class Decks, post them here. I have 2 so here goes:

1)Cave Troll card. It reads "Melee: Unless your Hero or Ally makes a successful melee attack, discard 2 hearts from this Challenge at the end of each melee phase. Reward: 3 Gold."

Huh? The Challenge only has 3 health to begin with. So does that mean that if no one hits in melee, the Cave Troll will be down to 1 Health, but if they do hit in melee the Troll doesn't lose anything? Doesn't make sense... but is that what it means?

Remember that the rules on wounds for Runebound are opposite those of Descent. You TAKE hearts as you accumulate wounds, but discard them as you heal. So, if you wound the Cave Troll in the Ranged phase, but don't wound it in the Melee phase, it heals two wounds.

SanguinousRex wrote:
2)Wind Blast spell. "If your Hero defends during the first ranged phase, you automatically succeed."

Huh? Ok, so if you defend you beat the encounter, or you just successfully "auto hit" in the first ranged phase?

You don't 'auto hit' when you DEFEND. You just keep the Challenge from doing any damage to you. So, if you play Wind Blast, you'll automatically defend yourself in Ranged and are then free to attack or defend as normal in Melee and Magic (preferably attack in one of them so you can deal damage to the Challenge.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, hah! Nice, thanks - now it makes sense. Ok, I have another.

3) Blighted Plains. It says "Until the end of your turn, Challenge cards cost 3 less Menace (minimum 9)." It is a card to play on enemies.

How is that an attack? When you uncover a colored encounter, you put a certain # of Menace on your character card. That allows others to attack you, which is part of the game. So why would you want to play "Blighted Plains" on anyone to reduce the # of Menace they get on their character card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember the 'minimum 9' part, but you would play Blighted Plains on an opponent so that Challenge cards that you or another player play on them from the Class decks cost 3 less Menace to play. So, you could play a 6 Menace challenge even if they only had 3 Menace on their Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
I don't remember the 'minimum 9' part, but you would play Blighted Plains on an opponent so that Challenge cards that you or another player play on them from the Class decks cost 3 less Menace to play. So, you could play a 6 Menace challenge even if they only had 3 Menace on their Hero.

Oh, nice. Ok thanks... btw I MEANT 0 not 9, sorry! I've never used these Character Class decks, but so far they seem really nifty. I don't want to spend 120 bucks to buy 4 copies of each though (I'm the "Runebound guy" - everyone wants to play, but not buy the game/cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I just have one of each, too (and am likewise 'Runebound guy'... and 'Descent guy'... and 'TI3 guy'... and...) If your players want to build decks, I'd say they should buy their own. Otherwise, they should just pick a role and play that deck as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
Yep. I just have one of each, too (and am likewise 'Runebound guy'... and 'Descent guy'... and 'TI3 guy'... and...) If your players want to build decks, I'd say they should buy their own. Otherwise, they should just pick a role and play that deck as is.

Yeah, exactly! I'm debating buying Twilight Imperium, but thankfully someone owns that. But I like owning all the boardgames. I dunno why, its like comics. I can download them but I like to OWN them. Same with boardgames.

Ah, another question - the Fire Blast card. Um, can't that be *totally* abused? It reads "Your Hero takes Heart Damage equal to this Challege's magic damage value. Then this Challenge takes Heart Damage equal to your Hero's magic damage value."

So... couldn't you wait until a hero is facing a red that does 5-6 magic damage and just plop that down and kill him before combat? Isn't that unfair, you just knock the player out just like that? Especially since the card only costs 6!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's how it works. Like I said, some of the Class deck cards are hugely powerful in the right circumstances but timing is important, so he would have had to have had at least 2 Menace already on him before the sequence you describe would work. Far from difficult, but it's still a matter of timing in terms of waiting for the Menace to be right and the person encountering something that has a high enough Magic damage value to kill him in one shot AND them not having enough armor or other magic-reducing items while facing Red challenges to resist taking the full amount of damage. And, for that matter, your willingness to hold the card long enough for those circumstances to develop or draw it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5) The Dragon Rage card. It states "Move the cloest red adventure counter on the board to your space." It is played after your opponent moves. Does that mean that your opponent HAS to fight a Red Challenge? I thought you don't have to activate a challenge when you've landed on it unless you want to.

Yeah, I checked the manual, it says you don't have to attempt that challenge - so what's the point of that card lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds as if it moves a red challenge to YOUR space. If so, this is particularly useful for endgame where it is a race to defeat 3 red challenges. Your opponent moves to a red challenge, you play that card and move the jewel he's standing on to YOUR space. Not only do you deprive him the challenge, but you ensure that you will get to do it yourself.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
It sounds as if it moves a red challenge to YOUR space. If so, this is particularly useful for endgame where it is a race to defeat 3 red challenges. Your opponent moves to a red challenge, you play that card and move the jewel he's standing on to YOUR space. Not only do you deprive him the challenge, but you ensure that you will get to do it yourself.

-MMM

Yes, you can definetely play the card that way! But the odd thing is it's a "grey" Menace card, meaning its an "attack" but the text says "MAY use on yourself" - so that strategy is definetely sound, I was thinking about that before. I just don't see why'd you use it against an opponent, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the "grey" Menace indicate that you cannot play it if your opponent hasn't accumulated enough Menace? Because it is an attack - you are hindering your opponent on his turn with the card.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you would want to move it to someone elses space (and it is a town space) is that, by the rules, if you decide not to encounter a challenge, your turn ends immediately. This means that if the target of the spell doesn't chose to fight the red challenge you just moved there, he can't take part in the market phase in that town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6) Getting knocked out by a Character Card monster is the same as any other, you lose all your gold? Or are you simply sent to the nearest town, lose that turn and lose the menace on your card?

I swear, these Character Cards make leveling up to actually BEAT the endgame very hard. I have a character with 8 gold and and another character played a card that caused a monster to attack that has a +9 to ALL stats... basically, I can't run and if I fail (which is likely) I lose all that gold and once more have 0 money for any equipment!

If the heroes keep doing that, no one's going to have anything for the endgame lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.