Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I've played one a lot more than the other in large part to enjoying it more, but I've been hoping to get the other back to the table soon. I don't know if either is better than the other though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Wow, you guys are so helpful. I've enjoyed City of Iron a lot, but have never played the Ancient World. Clicked on this link to see what people thought of the Ancient World related to City of Iron (with vain apparently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renato99 wrote:
which one is better?

Define "better"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Corrêa
Brazil
Florianopolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My definition of a better game: more fun, more interesting, has a good amount of options, different ways for victory,reasonable play time, this kind of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renato99 wrote:
which one is better?

Personal opinion: For 2 players: TAW. Military is too powerful in 2 player CoI. For more players, it depends on your preferred level (and type) of aggression. CoI has more direct aggression, while TAW "only" has blocking. Blocking in TAW can be really mean and nasty, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius van der Merwe
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both, but I prefer City of Iron. Mechanically The Ancient World is a fairly straightforward and familiar worker-placement and set-collection game, whereas City of Iron is significantly more off the beaten path with its hand-management mechanic (also found in games like Lewis & Clark, Rococo and Concordia).

City of Iron is also a bit heavier and more intricate than The Ancient World, which for me is usually a positive (but for many others it won't be).

The one thing that is better in The Ancient World is the more interesting way that combat is handled, but in both games there are many other things besides combat going on, and overall City of Iron is still the game I prefer.

Edit: I may also add that I have not found military to be overpowered in my games of CoI, 2 player or otherwise (I have logged a total of 21 plays thus far). It is quite possible for someone to run away with the game due to a strong military if you do not actively pay attention to what they are doing. However, a pure military strategy is fairly easy to counter as long as you pay attention to what is going on in your opponent's playing area and react accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.