Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I love painting minis but i've never had to assemble them first. Are their any instructions on how to best do this for KD? Any videos?

I'm afraid that diving in with reckless abandon is a recipe for broken plastic and heartbreak.

My thanks,

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a site that will be dedicated to the assembly of the figures. It hasn't gone active yet.

http://build.kingdomdeath.com/

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Praise be. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yagami
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm working on filming assembly guides for the core box now.
Once I have them edited i'll post them in the videos section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah for most of this I would wait for instructions. But you can dive into the first story showdown with minimal assembly now. Look for the sprue that says "prologue" and just assemble all that's on there minus the butcher. You can easily figure out which pieces go where. Each piece is labeled with a letter and a number. All letter As go together, all letter Bs go together, etc(butcher is F). and for the most part these 5 models are pretty easy to figure out if you just do one at a time so that you don't mix up the pieces. For reference you can see what the finished models look like on page 23(I think) of the rulebook. The hardest to figure out was the cloth on the bigger guy. You can even wait for thorough instructions on the cloth til later and just assemble the rest of him now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with the assembly... It is the painting I fear.

Once I get over the fact that opening the box and cutting parts from the sprue devalues my purchase I'll be able to assemble and paint comfortably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, but games with figures already built I won't paint, but ones I have to put together myself inevitably get painted up.

I see this game being no different.

Of course, given the speed at which I usually paint, I'm not sure when I'll actually get to play the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the best glue to use for the mini's in the box? I tend to use liquid poly (the kind that bonds the plastic together), but I know it's not suitable for all plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bekil
Germany
Erding
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use it for this plastic, it will work.

But there is also a point in using Superglue. You can remove parts again, with some force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hate assembling minis and can't do it now anyway due to Horrible Age (TM).

If anyone in Minneapolis loves assembling Minis and wants to do it for me, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic,

I'm in Falcon Heights at the state fair. I promise that if i can figure out how to assemble the figures i will assemble yours! 46 yo so i am beginning to understand this aging process..... Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have assembled a few KD miniatures I have bought in the shop and I have started assembling the ones in wave 1 and I must say that they are easy to work with.
I recognize however that if you have never assembled miniatures or you have problems (eyesight or shaking hands), you will have a tough job ahead of you.
What I do is without cutting anything, look closely at the different pieces and try to distinguish every part of the body and see how they must come together. Looking at the image on the KD site or any other site who has an image of the miniature helps a lot.
Then when I'm sure I know where every piece goes I start cutting the pieces from the plastic frame.
I use a cutting plier because it's easier to cut with it. You can look for the best place to cut before doing any cutting. I always place the 'plane' side on the part of the model and then cut any leftover on the miniature if I have left any.
I normally start with the body and then I glue the legs and arms, then the head, weapons, et cetera.
Even before gluing the parts, I try first how to position them and when I'm sure that I have the position right, then I apply the glue. Sometimes this is very fast because the right position is evident.
These models are very good to work with and I certainly prefer them to any metal model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Johnson
Spain
Torremolinos
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hola Salvador,

¿Ya lo has recibido?. Yo estoy deseando pero no se si ha llegado ya a España. ¿Has tenido algún problema con aduanas?.

Un saludo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also say that you should fit every piece before cleaning mold lines. There are a lot of tiny details and sometimes it's easy to mistake something as flash or a mold line when it's actually a vital part of the model. The detail on the pieces is very fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
StevenE wrote:
I'm fine with the assembly... It is the painting I fear.

Once I get over the fact that opening the box and cutting parts from the sprue devalues my purchase I'll be able to assemble and paint comfortably.

I'm with you there. I cant bring myself to punch out the counters yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Before I received my big bix I was working on the Warriors of the Sun. Oh. My. God. Those have to be the modt fiddly and nerve wracking miniatures to assemble I have ever seen! All the tiny little pieces coming off the sides. Ugh.

Compared to that, I think assembling the KD basic survivors will be a breeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yagami
United States
California
flag msg tools
Pink I just built the phoenix and even someone like me with 6 years of mini building... the final details are rough.

If you have to build it stop once you only have the hands on the sprue left. (The majority of the phoenix is SUPER easy to assemble)

It's a puzzle game from hell where they go before the instructions come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shin40k wrote:
Pink I just built the phoenix and even someone like me with 6 years of mini building... the final details are rough.

If you have to build it stop once you only have the hands on the sprue left. (The majority of the phoenix is SUPER easy to assemble)

It's a puzzle game from hell where they go before the instructions come out.

Good thing we get two to try our building skills on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.