Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise of the Runelords was a Christmas present, but it wasn't until January that my group actually started. While we haven't played it constantly, it's probably been the most frequent game at my weekly games. Now, nine months later, we finished off scenario 5-5 and went through 6-1 tonight.

The finale of deck 5 looked to be brutal and it was. In a group of Valeros (me), Seelah, Seoni, Merisiel, Harsk, and Lini, there were several of us who just weren't any good at closing locations. No one has an intelligence above a d6, and with multiple locations requiring wisdom 12 checks, I knew my d4 wisdom was not going to go well (I did try one, loaded up on blessings, but 5d4 only came up with 11). We had some terrible luck- Lini defeated the High Lady, but lost her ally do the after combat damage, then failed to close her location; I took on one warrior of wrath, scoring 21 of the 22 needed (Hall of Wrath adding +2 to the DC). Some of us were starting to look rough, but good use of blessings got the locations closed, and Seelah demolished the statue.

Moving on Deck 6 was like night and day. Gone were the sin-themed cards with closing checks of 12. Now we were back to familiar stomping grounds, like the woods and the throne room. Most of the checks were 6s, and some characters didn't even need to roll to close. We got off to a good start, finding haunts near the top of decks and quickly closing. I was able to use the village house power to acquire the mayor, who I then spent investigating the location- finding Silas in the process and deciding to leave it alone (d4 wisdom vs a DC 14 to beat). It seemed like in no time, we'd found the villain, and chased him to one of two locations. Lini defeated a henchman at the treacherous cave, revealing the new hiding spot of the wendigo. For the first time in a while, I got to return to my role as boss killer, moving in to finish the scenario.

Now there's four left, we figure two more sessions. I guess my biggest concern right now is for our main spell casters, Seoni and Lini. It feels like they've been missing out on the higher level spells, and I'm not sure there's time for them to pick them up. Weapons have been a different matter- maybe because four of us are holding multiple weapons, but I think there have been more chances to clean out the basic and elite weapons. We've already had a icy fire great axe go to Seelah. Next scenario has the academy, so may some good spells will right up.

I had hoped PAGC would be fun for my group and didn't expect them to love it this much. They look forward to the sessions, and for some time we've been discussing what characters to use in Skull and Shackles (which I've been playing separately with a friend, and should finish up about the same time as RotRL). I'm looking forward to what else the runelords can throw at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess my biggest concern right now is for our main spell casters, Seoni and Lini. It feels like they've been missing out on the higher level spells...

Don't hesitate letting the blessing deck timer run out on the next couple scenarios to allow for more boon gathering.

The last couple scenarios are nasty to say nothing of the final one.

You'll need multiple location deck 'control' boons (spy glass etc),
healing boons, and probably a Raise Dead.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeS8i2 wrote:
Quote:
I guess my biggest concern right now is for our main spell casters, Seoni and Lini. It feels like they've been missing out on the higher level spells...

Don't hesitate letting the blessing deck timer run out on the next couple scenarios to allow for more boon gathering.

The last couple scenarios are nasty to say nothing of the final one.

You'll need multiple location deck 'control' boons (spy glass etc),
healing boons, and probably a Raise Dead.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I did notice the penultimate scenario has us stockpiling a boon every time we defeat a bane- might focus those on spells as we're doing very well on weapons. It feels like we've tossed out a lot of basic and elite cards, but there are just fewer spells at locations, so fewer opportunities.

At least healing is an area we've done alright in. Lini packs a major and mass cure, and Seelah just traded out one of her cures for a major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great write up!

My experience with PACG: RoTR mirrors yours very closely - bought the game without knowing if my group would like it but they ended up loving it. Incidentally, we are at the exact same point in the game - having defeated the Wendigo and ready to move on to the 2nd scenario of the final adventure pack. Our team has Harsk (me), Seoni, Seelah, Kyra, Lini and Valeros. We kinda cheated by reading in advance what the final scenario entails so we were already stocking up on various means of scrying and location deck manipulation.

We've also got S&S (along with all adventure packs) purchased, sleeved and ready to go once we are done with RoTR. It's sad that my other games are gathering dust on the shelves but I guess in the end, the group having a blast playing together is what matters most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that your group defeats Karzoug at the end (not everyone does), make sure to record your final decks, after the card feats and loot. Because you can take those characters and try them in deck 4 and onwards of Wrath of the Righteous!

Good luck and make sure to bring any items that block damage plus your armors to the last scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
untitledFolder wrote:
Assuming that your group defeats Karzoug at the end (not everyone does), make sure to record your final decks, after the card feats and loot. Because you can take those characters and try them in deck 4 and onwards of Wrath of the Righteous!

Good luck and make sure to bring any items that block damage plus your armors to the last scenario.

Ring of Protection has long been a part of my deck, though I'm hoping to score one of the deck 6 rings.

I did see about using Wrath as deck 7, but I think we'll start that fresh, as we're excited about the new characters there (Alain is my pick for my full group). Once we finish up Runelords, this group of six will move on to S&S, while my S&S buddy and I will run a 4 character group into Wrath (eventually heading back to Runelords).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baimi wrote:

Great write up!

My experience with PACG: RoTR mirrors yours very closely - bought the game without knowing if my group would like it but they ended up loving it. Incidentally, we are at the exact same point in the game - having defeated the Wendigo and ready to move on to the 2nd scenario of the final adventure pack. Our team has Harsk (me), Seoni, Seelah, Kyra, Lini and Valeros. We kinda cheated by reading in advance what the final scenario entails so we were already stocking up on various means of scrying and location deck manipulation.

We've also got S&S (along with all adventure packs) purchased, sleeved and ready to go once we are done with RoTR. It's sad that my other games are gathering dust on the shelves but I guess in the end, the group having a blast playing together is what matters most.

Scrying might be our stumbling block, but Lini is carrying two Auguries, so she might luck out and be able to stick Karzoug at the bottom. Harsk's scouting might be helpful, and Merisiel has the quill.

One location for the finale means we'll probably see the most use of Valeros's combat bonus. We're also using the class deck version of Harsk, so he's able to offer support at his location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ring of Protection has long been a part of my deck, though I'm hoping to score one of the deck 6 rings.

Don't forget that a character carrying 2 armors can give one to a character who isn't proficient with armor for am emergency. This mostly applies to the final scenario where it won't matter when it gets banished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeS8i2 wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget that a character carrying 2 armors can give one to a character who isn't proficient with armor for am emergency. This mostly applies to the final scenario where it won't matter when it gets banished.

That will be good to remember. With a group of six, we're usually pretty spread out, so there isn't a lot of item trading. Everyone stacked at one spot will give a good chance for passing around armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.