Subject: Alt 2-player set ups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D K
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with alternate board set-up for 2 player games? Does a different map size or layout imbalance or ruin the game? Is there a very specific reason not to deviate from the 2x4 lay out?

Also, has anyone tried taking 2 civs and working them as a 'team' Wondering if that would be manageable or is 2 civs just too much for one player to manage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with two civilization as a team will get quite powerful (broken) combos like russia getting free tech or using one civ as protector/barrier and focusing the other in culture/economics. I think it is degenerate play but YMMV.

I think bigger maps, (2 players playing in a 4 player maps for example) allowing for 4 or 5 cities in each civilization (to avoid a big but empty map) could be the answer to a "bigger" civilization, without distorting the game too much as I think you want. However it will do military conquest harder (more distance to travel, more cities between you and enemy capital) and other like cultural or economic easier (the more cities the faster you achieve your goals) so you will need to balance it, maybe doubling cultural cost and making economic victory at 20 or even 25 coins. I think the game is perfect like it is but you are welcome to try any variant you want, just share it after some playtesting and balancing so everyone can enjoy it (or suffer it )

In short IMHO bigger maps with only six cities looks empty and reduce interaction (players are farter away) and playing with two civ made degenerate play for both civilization looking for combos and change the game completely, but using variants you can get what you desire for the game, the big problem is the amount of playtesting while you balance out the different parts of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree on the problem of having 2 civs, but I think that powers of each civ would be discrete- ie: Japan and Greece couldn't benefit from each other's power.... in effect a player would have 2 civs, operating independently but without the option to attack their other civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaƫl Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A 3x3 map works rather well, but it's only one more tile in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.