Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: What do you do when you get Bamboozled in a Math Trade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: pc_rant [+] [View All]
Mike Ulrey
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it was my first actual math trade on this site (This the Season) and things seemed to have gone well....until well now its 3 weeks later and I still havent got my game...I emailed the person twice now and only got a response to the first email I sent, the guy hasnt logged back on since christmas.

This is the response I got back on 12-23 when I asked has my game shipped?

"No, I haven't shipped it. If you want to know why, I've been sitting arround at home playtesting a boardgame for the last couple of days. I kept meaning to ship it but everytime at finish a game and say, ok, time to go ship the game, I'd look at the clock and it'd be 4'o'clock in the morning. I'm sorry. But hey, my game hasn't been shipped yet either. I can ship it today, or is the post office even open. They take the most outrageous holidays.... If they give me a tracking number I'll give it to you, but I'm not really in the habbit of shipping anything."

So Im stuck on what to do, I dont want to point to any names yet...but seriously if your going to do a math trade atleast be prepared to ship the freakin game?!?!

The game I shipped out was received and feedback was already left for me.

Currently: Sittin in a lawn chair out by my mailbox waiting and waiting, I came in from the cold just to type this and then its back outside again. Its cold out there and Im getting hungry so please game get here soon..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
EclipsedHalo wrote:
"No, I haven't shipped it. If you want to know why, I've been sitting arround at home playtesting a boardgame for the last couple of days. I kept meaning to ship it but everytime at finish a game and say, ok, time to go ship the game, I'd look at the clock and it'd be 4'o'clock in the morning. I'm sorry. But hey, my game hasn't been shipped yet either. I can ship it today, or is the post office even open. They take the most outrageous holidays.... If they give me a tracking number I'll give it to you, but I'm not really in the habbit of shipping anything."


WOW. If this was his real response, I'd support a ban on him. That was just plain mean...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
Tell him that post offices have automated kiosks now. You can still ship games at 4AM.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
Would you mind changing the title of your thread to something non-racist (or non-ethnist)? I'm referring to the "Gy...." word.
Thanks,
Bill
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
First, figure out who was supposed to ship a game to him and contact that person through a Geekmail. If, as he claimed, his game wasn't shipped to him either, and the other person is helpful, you might be able to work out a deal where you'll just cut him out of the chain and get whatever he was supposed to get.

If that doesn't work, try sending out your slacking trader another Geekmail and give him a week or two to log back in again. If you don't hear anything again, you should at least be able to get his home address from the guy who shipped to him. There's a guy who keeps track of the deadbeat traders (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17839) and I think he should be able to either a) let you know if this guy is a known bad trader, or b) add him to the list if he isn't. You might also contact the BGG Admin Octavian (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/136529), but I don't know if there's much he can do about it anyway.

Bottom line is that there's still a chance your guy could come through and ship the game, so it's best to just give it a little time before escalating things at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
The other trader's behavior is inexcusable, and fully deserving of negative feedback -- assuming he/she ever manages to get off the sofa and ship your game.

It is because of boneheads like this that I wish there were some way to blacklist or ban users -- in a way that is "officially" sanctioned & well known to anyone that has an account here.

I do a fair amount of trading here, and have had nothing but good experiences, but I'd prolly lose it if this happened to me.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do you do when you get Gypped in a Math Trade?
I've traded a couple dozen times or so through geeklists, math trades, and one-on-one and, with the exception of a couple slow shippers (who eventually came through), I have had nothing but positive experiences. I hope this incident doesn't discourage you from trading here in the future. It's a good idea in math trades to look at the profile of who is offering the games you're interested in. If you don't see evidence of positive trades or frequent contributions to the Geek (an avatar, reviews, rated games, etc.), then you need to weigh the risk.

The guy who owes you a game definitely needs a lesson in BGG etiquette. If everyone waited until they got their math trade game before shipping, well, it's obvious what would happen. My policy is that I ship games in the manner that I would like to recieve games. That means fast (usually Priority Mail) and well packaged.

I'll echo the previous poster and advise you to contact a BGG administrator before going public with the guy's name. Good luck and I hope things work out.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ulrey
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty Ill keep you guys/gals posted on what happens, Thanks for the help Hopefully he comes through and I wont need to take the next step...but for now atleast I know what the next steps are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting quote regarding the original subject line word choice:
Quote:
Although my Googling found lots of people asserting that the word "gyp" is offensive, I didn't find a single instance where someone said that they, personally, were offended by the term -- except insofar as they were offended because they assumed that the word was offensive to others. A similar thing seems to have occurred with the word squaw, which many people (myself included) think of as a racial slur, even though the people it's allegedly slandering don't have a problem with it. All of which raises a vexing philosophical point: can something be offensive without actually offending? And given that "Gypsies" aren't even "Gypsies" anymore (they prefer to be known as the Roma), what's the statute of limitation on stuff like this? Would it be okay to say that that you'd been "Aztec'd out of twenty dollars"?

From http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000648.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Would you mind changing the title of your thread to something non-racist (or non-ethnist)? I'm referring to the "Gy...." word.
Thanks,
Bill


Ridiculous.

Right - back to the thread... his response sounds like something the Dude from The Big Lebowski might say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
An interesting quote regarding the original subject line word choice:
Quote:
Although my Googling found lots of people asserting that the word "gyp" is offensive, I didn't find a single instance where someone said that they, personally, were offended by the term -- except insofar as they were offended because they assumed that the word was offensive to others. A similar thing seems to have occurred with the word squaw, which many people (myself included) think of as a racial slur, even though the people it's allegedly slandering don't have a problem with it. All of which raises a vexing philosophical point: can something be offensive without actually offending? And given that "Gypsies" aren't even "Gypsies" anymore (they prefer to be known as the Roma), what's the statute of limitation on stuff like this? Would it be okay to say that that you'd been "Aztec'd out of twenty dollars"?

From http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000648.html


Begin thread hijack -
In reference to the word "squaw", I have met many people that are offended by the term. It originally was a word for a female body part - those who I have met who take offense compare it to being called the "c word".

/hijack
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Would you mind changing the title of your thread to something non-racist (or non-ethnist)? I'm referring to the "Gy...." word.
Thanks,
Bill


I'd like to report a concern... I'm concerned that anyone else might take this person as seriously as he takes himself. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
Right - back to the thread... his response sounds like something the Dude from The Big Lebowski might say.


You better not be Dissin' The Dude.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
Wow that guys has a pair on him. yuk


As for "Gypped" it's in the dictionary without the label of "offensive"

Nigger - Labeled offensive
Jew - Labeled offensive if used in the form like "gypped"

I use Gypped and as far as the English language is concerned, it's alright to use it. Take it up with powers that be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cvonh wrote:
Yaboo wrote:
Right - back to the thread... his response sounds like something the Dude from The Big Lebowski might say.


You better not be Dissin' The Dude.



No No No - I would never diss the Dude... I can see him writing that email response with a joint in his mouth and a white russian (no offense intended to anyone) in his hand... minus the swearing to not get removed from the thread...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sal M wrote:
In reference to the word "squaw", I have met many people that are offended by the term. It originally was a word for a female body part

While I agree that the term "squaw" is regarded as offensive by many, I don't believe the story about it's association with female anatomy. There is no etymological evidence of this.
Squaw comes from either the Narragansett word squaws "woman" or the Massachusetts squa, ussqua "woman" or "younger woman". All three of those forms come ultimately from Proto-Algonquian *ethkwe'wa. Squaw entered English in the early 16th century.

We can't claim to speak for the Merriam-Webster editors, but we imagine that it is said to be disparaging because of the way that white English-speakers thought of Native Americans. By calling someone a squaw, the speaker was implying that she was somehow different from a "woman" or "wife". It was this attitude of "we have wives; they have squaws" that gave this word its disparaging or offensive overtones.

Additional information:
http://www.tomjonas.com/squawpeak/changingperception.htm
http://www.legendarysurfers.com/naw/blog/2004/11/reclaiming-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I use Gypped and as far as the English language is concerned, it's alright to use it. Take it up with powers that be.


Webster is keeping the Gypsies down! Fight the power!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

We can't claim to speak for the Merriam-Webster editors, but we imagine that it is said to be disparaging because of the way that white English-speakers thought of Native Americans. By calling someone a squaw, the speaker was implying that she was somehow different from a "woman" or "wife". It was this attitude of "we have wives; they have squaws" that gave this word its disparaging or offensive overtones.


One can make nearly *any* word sound disparaging. Really, it has to do with context and tone of delivery... something that the Internet fails to deliver in the latter case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EclipsedHalo wrote:
So Im stuck on what to do, I dont want to point to any names yet...


Since you already mentioned which trade, and you only received one game from it, anybody who wants a name just has to read the posted trade results. So not much of a mystery at this point...

Quote:
but seriously if your going to do a math trade atleast be prepared to ship the freakin game?!?!


No doubt. If he'd given anything resembling a realistic reason, well, life happens. But sloth and apathy aren't good reasons.

Doesn't realize what time of day it is? Doesn't know when the post office is open?

Pathetic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toilet paper the guy's house for a copy of Blue Moon City.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Sal M wrote:
In reference to the word "squaw", I have met many people that are offended by the term. It originally was a word for a female body part

While I agree that the term "squaw" is regarded as offensive by many, I don't believe the story about it's association with female anatomy. There is no etymological evidence of this.
Squaw comes from either the Narragansett word squaws "woman" or the Massachusetts squa, ussqua "woman" or "younger woman". All three of those forms come ultimately from Proto-Algonquian *ethkwe'wa. Squaw entered English in the early 16th century.

We can't claim to speak for the Merriam-Webster editors, but we imagine that it is said to be disparaging because of the way that white English-speakers thought of Native Americans. By calling someone a squaw, the speaker was implying that she was somehow different from a "woman" or "wife". It was this attitude of "we have wives; they have squaws" that gave this word its disparaging or offensive overtones.

Additional information:
http://www.tomjonas.com/squawpeak/changingperception.htm
http://www.legendarysurfers.com/naw/blog/2004/11/reclaiming-...


In this context, I respectfully retract the word "originally" and change it to the phrase "over the last couple of centuries it has come to be understood to mean".

I do not claim to speak for the entire Native American community, I can only speak for those people that I have met over the years (from many tribes, mostly in Michigan & South Dakota), and they have generally taken that word to have the perjoritive meaning that I mentioned above. Out of respect for their perception of the meaning that word has come to have, I suggest to everyone that it not be used.

And to get things back on subject - I say to give the guy a couple of more weeks (and maybe a couple of more emails). Then report his name to the "bad traders" geeklist.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I'll toilet paper the guy's house for a copy of Blue Moon City.


I'll help out and bring the dogs along.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly object to the term "bamboozled" used in the title. This reflects negatively on the bamboo plant, a noble and useful plant.
Please remove it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hogan
United States
zimmerman
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I gotta say if you're going to provide some constructed criticism, please provide an alternate title so we can examine it before he causes problems for all the noble plants, gypsy's and whomever else he might annoy or make feel bad...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Tell him that post offices have automated kiosks now. You can still ship games at 4AM.


Mmmm..not all post offices do. Not everyone lives where you do.

But yeah, be ready to ship if you participate. I'm behind on shipping myself, but I communicated to my recipient why, without him having to jog my elbow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.