Subject: Medici Versus Your Cat: a two-player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
(I thought I'd come across this on the Geek forums ages ago, but when I went casually searching just now I couldn't find it. This is not original to me! If it was your idea, let me know and I'm happy to credit you.)

Medici Versus Your Cat: a two-player variant for Reiner Knizia's Medici.

Set up the game as for three players. You and your opponent each take a boat. The third boat is for your cat.

Your cat is very lazy, and puts minimum effort into the game. He doesn't draw cards, so skip over him. (Alternate rule: he always draws one item and sends it around. This is more in keeping with the rules as written, but seems to make for a less interesting game.) Thanks to Chris Dearlove for noting that this would create an imbalance in favor of the player to the cat's right.

Your cat also never bids on a lot. At the end of the day he fills his boat as much as possible, for free, as per the rules.

Your cat is not eligible to go first. Again, thanks to Chris Dearlove.

Your cat is not a terribly good player. But sometimes, if you and your opponent get in a serious bidding war and your cat gets lucky with what's left at the end of the day, your cat wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cat turns up one card that creates an asymmetry between the players.

(Actually there's a minor asymmetry in that in second and third turns if the cat is losing - and probably will be - the cat starts, so in effect the player to the left of the cat starts. Probably best to ignore the cat in deciding who starts.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
If the cat turns up one card that creates an asymmetry between the players.

Good point; I knew there was a reason for the cat not to turn up anything.

Quote:
(Actually there's a minor asymmetry in that in second and third turns if the cat is losing - and probably will be - the cat starts, so in effect the player to the left of the cat starts. Probably best to ignore the cat in deciding who starts.)

I hadn't considered the start player issue; thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or grab a copy of Medici vs Strozzi, which is a specifically 2-player version of Medici.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
Or grab a copy of Medici vs Strozzi, which is a specifically 2-player version of Medici.

... which you can play directly against your cat. No extra player required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.