Subject: Marvel Heroes - A Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Heroes - A Review

After having played this game twice now I think I'll throw in my two cents and give a shot at reviewing it.

As you read the review bear in mind that I have been involved with the designers of the game in the past as I am one of the main playtesters and the F.A.Q. master for their earlier War of the Ring (First Edition) game.

The bits:
The cardboard chits are first class and very clear. They all convey a very Comic book feel, which adds heavily to the general theme of the game. The figures of the heroes and main villains are superb!

The cards:
All the cards are sturdy and the Resource and Villain cards have excellent art on them (especially Emma Frost). The rest of the cards are more than adequate and all help convey the game's comic book look.

The board:
The board does what it is supposed to, but nothing more. Let me explain: The board is clear and helps in playing the game as all things are crystal clear. However, it does not help in conveying the comic book feel of the game nearly as well as the rest of the game components.

The rules:
The rules are just as the board, adequate. They leave little for misinterpretation (there are a few errors but they have mostly been dealt with in the F.A.Q (which is available at FFG's web site) but it is not easy to find what you are looking for if you need to quickly check something in the middle of the game).

The game play:
The game play is solid and fun, if you can see the heroes running/flying/whatever around and stopping crime, fighting bad guys and saving the world in your mind's eye as you play the game. If you have no insight into the Marvel universe the game play works but it might not be very exciting, you might as well be playing some card game with a very thin theme, unless you happen to have a friend who can enlighten you to all the things that happen bellow the mechanics of the game.

The good:
Every Marvel Fan Boy's dream. If you are even the mildest into the Marvel Universe this game will leave you wanting more, and more, and more. Using your favourite Marvel characters to beat up your best friends (well your best friends' villains) is very satisfying.

The bad:
The mechanics and game play itself is not enough to make you play the game; you need some interest in the Marvel Universe.

The final verdict:
If you like Marvel in general or any of the main Hero teams in particular this is a must have. If you don't know enough about the Marvel Universe to appreciate all of the finer details in the game the game could well push you into educating yourself a bit.

If you don't take a fancy to the Marvel Universe or are indifferent this game is probably not for you. Some interest is needed.

All this said it is obvious that the main target group for this game is people already familiar with the Marvel Universe but if you are lucky to play it with someone who is well versed in it and can help you explain where all the stuff in the game comes from you might just get hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for your very astute review. I think anyone thinking about buying the game should take your advice.

Veldrin wrote:
Marvel Heroes - A Review

The rules:
The rules are just as the board, adequate. They leave little for misinterpretation (there are a few errors but thy have mostly been dealt with in the F.A.Q (which is available at FFG's web site) but it is not easy to find what you are looking for if you need to quickly check something in the middle of the game.

From my perspective the presentation of the rules is contradictory, confusing, convoluted and sometimes just plain uncalled for. There are some very good people on these boards who have been trying to figure out these rules for weeks. They have had some success, however, weeks later, faq's and flow charts are still being updated and changed.

If you buy this game you will interperet the rules in a certain way and play what amounts to your own house rules. If you have a question or get stuck the rulebook will not help you. You can get help here at bgg or just make a ruling.

Expect to 'play' this game 4 or 5 times before you understand it. This game probably has intersting mechanics, give us a few more weeks and we'll have a more definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played the game 4 times now, and really enjoy it. As far as the rules go - I think they are written OK once you add the FAQ in. But this is the kind of game that the firt time you play it you will get some rules wrong. It takes a few plays and a few reads of the rules to get it all correct. I think this is just because there are a lot of little things that you have to remember, not necessarily because of how the rules are written. Even after 4 plays and two read throughs of the rules I missed a certain rule (and caught it reading the forums). That being said, despite misplaying things, each of the four games was a lot of fun, so people shouldn't be scared away, unless they are rules lawyers. A nice detailed player aid would help out here. The provided player aid is fine once you've played a few times (although I wish they had listed the scheming options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.