Subject: Can anyone compare this game to X-Men Alert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've got an old copy of X-Men alert. This game looks interesting. I've read a couple of reviews here, so I know basic difference include:

Heroes other than X-men

Players control villians and the villians get their own figures

Beyond that, I was wondering if anyone on here has played both and could comment on what is similar and what's different. How do the two games differ in feel? If you had both, which would you choose to play and why?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Men Alert WAS the pinnacle of superhero boardgaming, but Marvel Heroes beats it hands down. XMA was all about defeating villains for points. Fights lasted many turns and multiple players could essentially be battling a 'clone' of the villain so that whoever beat the villain first got the points and everyone else had just wasted their time. Combat was simply a matter of rolling a handful of dice and decideing whether or not to use your power to affect the roll. It was a fun game for me primarily because the time period encapsulated by the game was nearly the same as when I was an X-Men reader. MH goes beyond this. Points are gained primarily by chasing after Headlines and are resolved on the same action. Villains may or not be involved. There's nothing extra to be gained by fighting the villains, so in MH you're actually doing everything you can to face the smallest villains possible since they're standing in the way of your Headlines. Mastermind villains are run by the other players so everyone else in the game is actively opposing you, although it's mainly the guy on your left who's trying to bring you down. Combat in MH is a bit more complicated, although not horriby so. The hero and the villain are both choosing a power (allocating their dice) and using powers to affect combat. Combat is conducted in a series of rounds until somebody goes down. With XMA, you started with one (or two?) heroes and you hoped to earn extra ones later on. With MH, you start with four heroes and you have to spend Plot Points to use them. You probably won't be using every one of them right out of the gate, but you can choose who'll be used early game or late game. Mmmmmmm, what other comparisons are you interested in between the two games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At their core, the two games are similar--superhero teams competing against other superhero teams in a race for victory points. I enjoy the mechanic, but X-Men Alert does it much more efficiently and with far less fuss.

Both games have their pluses, but I prefer the simpler and more straightforward X-Men Alert, which is definitely more accessible than Marvel Heroes and, in my opinion, does a better job of capturing the feel of superheroes in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scope: Marvel heroes is more broad it inclues FF, Avengers, Marvel Knights, and X-men. Alert is X-Men only. Weight: Alert 2 of 5. It has some strategy but its fairly limited. You can pick your two heros and pick which villian you want to fight. Options when battling the villians are fairly limited. Marvel Heroes 4 of 5. It has a very good deal of depth. You pick your team, and decide on which missions you send them on and who goes active and in support. As an added bonus you get to control the villian of an opponents hero team. Different scenario cards modify the end game. Components: Alert 3 of 5. Marvel Heroes 5 of 5. Hands down Marvel heroes wins. The old school games just can't stand up against the newer FFG games.

Alert was a great game for its time. If you want to stay with a simple strategy game its a good choice. Marvel Heroes is a very nice upgrade. There is much more meat to this game. Don't be scared off by the rules, one thing to keep in mind is the rules are in no means more difficult than say War of the Ring. Posters on BGG have found and resolved many of the outstanding issues. The possibilities for expansions is very clear. If your a comic fan and enjoy meat to your games, Marvel Heroes is a must buy and an outstanding upgrade over Alert. Enjoy.

TK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, I had the same question and your comments helped a lot.

I own both X-men game, and was wondering if MH, and the Capes&Cowls were similar games to the X-men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.