3 Posts

Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Competitive Aspect and Theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
don hoe

Massachusetts
msg tools
Thematically how would you explain the losing combat bit with just discarding a card?

I can't picture playing this competitvely. It reminds me of A Touch of Evil and it's attempts at competitve gaming. You don't want evil to win so you'd rather another plaayer win than the game/evil/Dracula/villain.

Does playing this non-coop work? Do any play that way? Thematically how would that slide? I can see in A Touch of Evil, each player wants to get the glory for being the one who defeats the villain, but with this game we know the characters. They all get together to rid the world of Dracula and rescue Mina. Thoughts?

ps How do you play competitively? Just don't help out other players by attacking a bad guy that is threatening them?

pps BTW I reaally like ATOE. It just runs long and the games I've played competitively usually result in players helping each other out to end the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game both for the gameplay and its being based on my all-time favorite movie and I have played, and continue to play it a lot.Having played it both solo and with many different groups of people I can attest toit being very competitive in nature. However I always describe it to new players as a competitive co-op simply because if the players don't cooperatein the early levels, the enemies will overrun whoever gets greedy early and makes a break for it. That said, I have tried it as a pure co-op and I find that all the tension is missing from such a setup since you just have most players run interference while one dude jukes his way out the top.The biggest thrill for us is carefully calculating when the best time has come to screw everyone else over and make your play for victory.

As far as being thematic? To me it is but that's subjective of course. And Iget how losing equipment indicates damage, it conveys the hunters losing resources in their battle against the Count when they miscalculate a battle.
Works for me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, each of the characters has their own reasons for wanting to kill Dracula. You could say they are united in achieving an end, but not in the motive for achieving that end. I could see how each hunter would want to be the one to end his reign of terror. Again, it works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.