Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing time of 90 min is realistic?

I'm interested in this game, but if it's more than 90 min, it will be difficult to see a table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First edition games take about an hour for my wife and I, but we're pretty experienced and we're quick players in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robbin van biljouw
Netherlands
den oever
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can double the playtime for us, there is a lot to puzzle and calculate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set-up and teardown time included?
I don't see ANY way to get a game in under an hour. 90min is optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin_fin wrote:
Set-up and teardown time included?
I don't see ANY way to get a game in under an hour. 90min is optimistic.

You realize this edition has new streamlined rules, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I was referring to Joe´s comment and the 1:St edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, not including setup/teardown.

I don't think the setup is too arduous with two players working on it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Simmons
msg tools
mb
I think it's realistic. The first few times the most time consuming thing seems to be checking the melee strength of the opposing parties on the wall pieces over and over by adding up the individual unit values. But I think sooner or later your brain processes it like "one red, two green, one white vs. one red, two green, that equals an advantage of 1". Unlike e. g. Robinson Crusoe there are very maintenance tasks (you don't have to add food, move food, consume food, destroy food over and over).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb

The huge number of choices in this game will lead to big AP. As the game builds, the AP will get worse. There is no way this game plays in 90 minutes. The last 2 turns will take 90 minutes. There is THAT much going on.

The defender will need to math out the right set of permutations to defend those walls where 1 strength is so vital. That will take time.

The invader will need to math out the right set of permutations to attack those walls perfectly as well. The invader will also need to run his economy perfectly each round of the game, just to build into the climatic last 3 rounds.

That all said, this game is great and the time won't matter. Three hours/1.5 hours, it won't matter because the game is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W.
Germany
Cologne/ Overath
flag msg tools
badge
Entweder werden wir einen Weg finden, oder wir machen einen! [Hannibal]
mbmbmbmbmb
I played ~10 times. Every Game (except the first due to eplanation) was between 2-3 hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closer to 2 or closer to 3?

Our most recent was 3.5 hours. We can't see how we can get this going any faster.

That said, if we can get this to 2-2.5 hours, this game will go down as great for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that 90 minutes is only for people who don't really care about strategy. They just bought a game, spent 10 minutes to set up, and then started playing in a hurry because they have other things to do (more important to them).

That said, I believe that 2 players who play the game SERIOUSLY (and not just fouling around), they have to invest at least 3 hours for the game.
They have to think, they have to discuss, they have to analyse many options and pay attention to all the little details.

Otherwise it's like someone claiming that can play a chess game in only 60-90 minutes. Yes, you can play like that, but the game is not to be played like that.

If I had to put a realistic time for stronghold, played by high tactical players, I'd say 120-200 minutes.
90 minutes is just for marketing issues, and/or for people who just want to have a quick fun game and nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:
I believe that 90 minutes is only for people who don't really care about strategy. They just bought a game, spent 10 minutes to set up, and then started playing in a hurry because they have other things to do (more important to them).

That said, I believe that 2 players who play the game SERIOUSLY (and not just fouling around), they have to invest at least 3 hours for the game.
They have to think, they have to discuss, they have to analyse many options and pay attention to all the little details.

Otherwise it's like someone claiming that can play a chess game in only 60-90 minutes. Yes, you can play like that, but the game is not to be played like that.

If I had to put a realistic time for stronghold, played by high tactical players, I'd say 120-200 minutes.
90 minutes is just for marketing issues, and/or for people who just want to have a quick fun game and nothing more.

Are you referring to the 2nd edition, which is supposed to have streamlined rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

It's not so much about the streamlined rules. it's about thinking and planning your attack/defence.

The new rules have helped to cut down the time (like less rounds, or transferring time from actual play to "prepare phase"), but when strategy and counting/resolving is involved, there is no fixed time.

Also, on the back of the box it says 90 minutes, but on the top cover (on the side) it says "90+".
The only way for a game to have an average time of 90 minutes, is when you play against a very good attacker who can breach your walls in less than 7 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W.
Germany
Cologne/ Overath
flag msg tools
badge
Entweder werden wir einen Weg finden, oder wir machen einen! [Hannibal]
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, we were closer to 3 hrs., especially when playing a full game of 7 Rounds. Just to make clear... 2-3 hrs. without set-up, teardown or reviewing it and without noteworthy breaks.

We spended nearly 50% play-time on the last 2 turns. You save a lot if it ends after 6 rounds, but I think 90 min. is not realistic. So many hard decisions...

But hey, every minute spent is definitely worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmatzgesicht wrote:
Mostly, we were closer to 3 hrs., especially when playing a full game of 7 Rounds. Just to make clear... 2-3 hrs. without set-up, teardown or reviewing it and without noteworthy breaks.

We spended nearly 50% play-time on the last 2 turns. You save a lot if it ends after 6 rounds, but I think 90 min. is not realistic. So many hard decisions...

But hey, every minute spent is definitely worth it

Man, this game sounds incredible, but I would never, ever be able to get it to the table with that kind of length.

Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a shot. You and your opponent might not care about the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Give it a shot. You and your opponent might not care about the time.

Believe me, I would love to play long games, but with 2 screaming children, the time for those is very few and far between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your time will come. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old, so I feel your pain.

Maybe once a month you can work out a way to get out of the house.

Trust me in that you need time for mental health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Your time will come. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old, so I feel your pain.

Haha, yeah. 4 Year old and a 1 Year old here. Can't wait until they can actually game with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Spain
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
ghbell wrote:

Haha, yeah. 4 Year old and a 1 Year old here. Can't wait until they can actually game with me.

4 years old is a perfect age to start gameing with your child.

I play King of Tokyo, Splendor and Machi Koro with my little guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is a good one for kids.

Try Sushi Go or Weykick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
msg tools
On the crying kids. I just ordered the game but didn't learn the rules. Is there a possibility to make this time faster by reducing the number of rounds? 90 minutes is what we can afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
prenchel wrote:
On the crying kids. I just ordered the game but didn't learn the rules. Is there a possibility to make this time faster by reducing the number of rounds? 90 minutes is what we can afford.

This game requires you to learn all the rules beforehand, plus to have enough time for rules research + time to think your every move during actual game.
You can get down to 90 minutes, but only if you learn all the rules inside out, and play 5-6 times to get the spirit, and you don't spend too much time overthinking your every move.

If you and your teammate(s) can't afford the above, then you chose the wrong game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.