Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalle Marjola
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like an educative story for fresh Power Grid players, like I was during that time, with only two games played before.

There was 5 of us playing, with one total newbie, with me for my third game, and 3 old gamers. We played the U.S. map, with everyone on East Coast.

So, we ended up by having 6 cities each and with a power plant blockade - the very common situation in which the only players practically able to extend to 7+ cities did not have good power plants and everything in the market was crap. Thus, if they build a new city, starting the step 2 next turn, others expand first and they would not even have power plants to use the remaining ones. So, they thought that moving to step 2 was not for their best interest.

Thus the game has frozen, no one buying anything and just making more money. Naturally there was that one-plant-per-turn removal, but that is quite slow and everyone just got richer and richer.

Finally the step 3 emerged and then everyone just built the board full. Naturally the winner was the player with highest capacity.

But the moral of this story is: like others, I only had 6 cities. I also had highest numbered power plant so I was also forced to be the first in the turn order every turn. My other plants sucked and I only had total capacity of 7.
So, my situation looked grim but I was in Miami area so it was hugely expensive for me to go for the 7th city.

But I also made most money each turn as I only used like one coal each turn. So, two turns before the game actually ended, I would have had enough money to buy a 100+ electron power line across the entire U.S. to West Coast and then build all the 9 cities as a one turn action, thus ending the game, with me winning with ridiculous total production of 7. I could have done this if I would have paid more attention and only because I was first in the turn order (usually a bad thing) and thus no one would have had time to react and build just 2 buildings more with far cheaper cost to beat my capability of 7...

So, always watch for the number one - if she has more production capability than others have cities, she might just win with insane dash, even with such a crappy power plants like I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wong
Hong Kong
West Point
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been noted in other threads if it is one or two player's interest to maintain "the stall" then the other players should break it regardless, because they are probably falling further and further behind in money. Doesn't always happen though! See my session report where I won a five player game when I could power 8 cities http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/475519#475519

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.