Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now Contest Ready!

Thought I'd take a shot at the 18 card contest. I clearly have no chance at winning on art but I hope people like the game

Thug Wars is a fast card game for two players. The players are the head of rival mob families, Adams vs. Mosty. Recruit the more powerful gang and send the opposing boss to sleep with the fishes.

It's a two player game. Rules are a separate file.

To download the final files, click on these:

http://gadgetdon.com/thugwars/ThugWarsFrontContestReady.pdf
http://gadgetdon.com/thugwars/ThugWarsBackContestReady.pdf
http://gadgetdon.com/thugwars/ThugWarsRules.pdf

For those who played the prior version - revised the look, redid some appearances, and added "The Recruiter"

The gangster image came from all-silhouettes.com at http://all-silhouettes.com/vector-gangster/ - all rights are allowed for the downloaded files, including commercial. Thanks very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Thug Wars (for 18 card 2015 contest) - The Gold Master
BTW, if I've gotten the format wrong for front and back where the rules card matters, please let me know. This is my first entry in one of these contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, your game looks pretty neat, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it, but I thought you may appreciate a few quick notes/suggestions on the written content:

- You could clarify the number of players (I assume it's for two players), I'd suggest popping it at the top: "A game for two players" or the like. If it is for two players, instead of using phrases like "each player", use "both players"
- Some of the discard rules are a little tricky to read quickly.

+ Junior Adams: "Performs a "hit" on any thug on the other side. Put it in discard pile and draw a replacement from the deck. Do not use card's Discard Rules". Here I'd try to clarify that the bolded text (my emphasis) refers to an opponent's thug card which has been assassinated, not to Jr. Adams.

+ You vary between "a brother" and "his brother". Personally, I prefer "his brother"

+ Not a particularly big issue, but the parts about whether or not to follow discard rules could be re-worded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Thug Wars (for 18 card 2015 contest) - Not Final, back in development

Here's the new design I'm working on.

In terms of gameplay, there's a new thug, The Recruiter. Also, when the Juniors "hit" a thug, the card is removed from the game rather than going into the Discard Pile.

Text is obviously smaller. And I'm hoping to find an artist to do quick drawings for the 16 thug faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Recruiter" replaces the instruction card?

I just printed the original version..cry But I do like the landscape orientation better- it seems more like a "file" card someone would keep handy...

I'm no help in the art department...sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Looking cool. Like the idea of this game. The gangsterized text reminds me of a classic premium Star Trek card: http://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mode=card&cardID=452

I like the vector silhouette art you already have, I think it might work better than a caricature style cartoon (which games in this genre tend towards). Then you would not need to frame the pics at all.

If the cards are going to be held in players hands, I would not go with the landscape. A good general rule for card games: Relevant info should be visible and readable when the cards are fanned in the hand.

One idea -- you could go with a NEWSPAPER aesthetic instead of files. Plain b&w text would still work great. Just choose a headline font and more traditional newspaper text font (see fontsquirrel for fonts) and add some lines. Maybe change the card names to headlines like CAIN KRISS HITS AGAIN! and GENERIC GOON GUNNED DOWN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
govmiller wrote:
"The Recruiter" replaces the instruction card?

I just printed the original version..cry But I do like the landscape orientation better- it seems more like a "file" card someone would keep handy...

I'm no help in the art department...sorry...

Recruiter replaces instruction card. And when the two Juniors are used to "hit" a card, it's now removed from the game rather than put in the Discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
TimST1E wrote:
If the cards are going to be held in players hands, I would not go with the landscape. A good general rule for card games: Relevant info should be visible and readable when the cards are fanned in the hand.

Cards are never held in the hand. The initial drafting of the gangs is what I call a schoolyard draft - 8 cards dealt out, face up. The two players alternate, picking one for their gang.

Quote:
One idea -- you could go with a NEWSPAPER aesthetic instead of files. Plain b&w text would still work great. Just choose a headline font and more traditional newspaper text font (see fontsquirrel for fonts) and add some lines. Maybe change the card names to headlines like CAIN KRISS HITS AGAIN! and GENERIC GOON GUNNED DOWN.

Interesting idea, may be beyond my design capabilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GadgetDon wrote:

Here's the new design I'm working on.

In terms of gameplay, there's a new thug, The Recruiter. Also, when the Juniors "hit" a thug, the card is removed from the game rather than going into the Discard Pile.

Text is obviously smaller. And I'm hoping to find an artist to do quick drawings for the 16 thug faces.

Donald,
Just got a couple quick games in with myself and the "old" cards. Fun, and quick! Here's a few random thoughts that popped into my head...

Maybe a special boss power? Something they can use once per game? Since all cards are face-up on the table, the boss card could be rotated when the power is used... (or maybe a choice of two powers- each one the same between the two bosses- but you can only use one...)

What about drawing from the discard pile? (Maybe that's a special power???) Could be an optional rule- could make the game last longer and give the players the chance to recruit the various sets of brothers.

Another boss power could be a scoring option for having a certain card in your gang- or a certain card in the other player's gang (yes, over and above what is already there...) It would be an optional power- so a player would have to figure out which power to use, and when.

And I still like the landscape layout since all the cards are on the table...

A "police sketch" type image might work... Or maybe you got take pictures of friends & family, run them through some photo filters and put them in....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tried this game out. I like the idea. Some cards never moved the whole game and didn't contribute other than their power at the end of the game. Maybe add active rules to the game so some cards affect the game as long as they are sitting out in play.

You might lengthen the game by recycling the discard pile and adding more remove from the game cards. Then the game ends when there are no more cards in the draw or discard pile.

Maybe change police informant to whoever the snitch, Johnny the Snitch.

I like what is here but it would be fun to add more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
govmiller wrote:

Donald,
Just got a couple quick games in with myself and the "old" cards. Fun, and quick! Here's a few random thoughts that popped into my head...

Maybe a special boss power? Something they can use once per game? Since all cards are face-up on the table, the boss card could be rotated when the power is used... (or maybe a choice of two powers- each one the same between the two bosses- but you can only use one...)

What about drawing from the discard pile? (Maybe that's a special power???) Could be an optional rule- could make the game last longer and give the players the chance to recruit the various sets of brothers.

Another boss power could be a scoring option for having a certain card in your gang- or a certain card in the other player's gang (yes, over and above what is already there...) It would be an optional power- so a player would have to figure out which power to use, and when.

And I still like the landscape layout since all the cards are on the table...

A "police sketch" type image might work... Or maybe you got take pictures of friends & family, run them through some photo filters and put them in....

Appreciate the idea. I'm trying to keep it simple for now. Post contest, I'm looking at an expanded version with more cards and more than two players.

Though for a boss power could be - protect someone. You pick someone under the boss's personal protection, can't be hit, can't be recruited, can't be arrested.

The Dealers do pull cards from the discard power. I like the idea of more dealers. What would you think of Generic goons being dealers, so there are four dealers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GadgetDon wrote:

Though for a boss power could be - protect someone. You pick someone under the boss's personal protection, can't be hit, can't be recruited, can't be arrested.

The Dealers do pull cards from the discard power. I like the idea of more dealers. What would you think of Generic goons being dealers, so there are four dealers?

I like both of these ideas. And you're right, these are simple powers that seem to fit right in with the game as-is.

What about maybe a 2nd set of game cards? Basically the same thing, two different bosses, another set of gangsters that would work with this version? And yes, waiting until the contest is over makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
govmiller wrote:
GadgetDon wrote:

I like both of these ideas. And you're right, these are simple powers that seem to fit right in with the game as-is.

What about maybe a 2nd set of game cards? Basically the same thing, two different bosses, another set of gangsters that would work with this version? And yes, waiting until the contest is over makes sense...

Protect didn't work out so well in testing with the current cards, because the card to protect is one of the Kriss brothers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I've played the game, but only against myself.

I just played 3 rounds.
27 to 24 roughly.

30 to 21 - This game I affected a powerful card combo of discarding Police Informant -> Police Informant -> Jack The Dealer. This cleared out the draw deck, ending the game in a way where I chose my final person well.

36 to 30 - Both sides got their high power cards. Winner had 3 Bakers.

- I enjoyed the game a lot. It had much more interaction than I thought it would. It fit the theme too.

- The game seemed balanced. Power 10 guys became clear targets, while power 5 guys coasted under the radar. Again, thematic.

Good job with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thug Wars is now contest ready, pencils down. Thank you so much for those who provided feedback, it's definitely better than the first version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting a 404 error on your pdf links...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ooops, sorry, had a capitalization problem, now fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...it works now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played your game, both with my son a few times and also alone simulating 2 players.
We enjoyed the game and the mechanic is clever. Reminded me of school when we used to pick teams for a game of football.

I also like the landscape card format and the fact they suggest a 'case file' which fits the theme well. So much so that I quickly mocked up a couple of cards to see how this could look (using found gangster illustrations - both silhouette and caricature style). Hope you don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I LOVE that design! If I take the game forward, I may borrow the concept. Thanks for the comments!

(And yeah, I actually call my mechanic a "schoolyard draft")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GadgetDon wrote:
I LOVE that design! If I take the game forward, I may borrow the concept. Thanks for the comments!

(And yeah, I actually call my mechanic a "schoolyard draft")

No problem - You could even do a police filing cabinet style box to keep the cards in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.