Poseidon's Kingdom» Forums » General

Subject: Wave is too loose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
So, I'm happy with the components for everything in the game EXCEPT potentially one of the most important parts: THE WAVE.

My wave is super loose and flimsy. The parts don't fit tightly, and thus the wave is very unstable. Is this just my copy or does everybody also have this issue?

Hang loose everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fixed my wobbly, leaning wave by folding tape over the bottom edge of each slot on the vertical boards.

The "tape" that I used was the sticky part of a couple black post-it notes. Thus I can undo it without damaging the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is loose, but not too loose. Not sure what you think is too loose. Mine wobbles but stands up and falls over when we push it.

I will probably wind up doing what Laura did above I just have to find some black post it notes. Until then it functions just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wave was loose to almost being unplayable, it started to fall apart just sitting there. We pushed it back together before tipping it.

I can confirm that Laura's solution fixed it perfectly and elegantly - this is how it should have fit from the factory.

Thanks again to Laura, because in this game the components mean a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Blank
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Mine is loose, but not too loose. Not sure what you think is too loose. Mine wobbles but stands up and falls over when we push it.

I will probably wind up doing what Laura did above I just have to find some black post it notes. Until then it functions just fine.

The original wave had no wobble. It was almost scary to push the pieces together because I wasn't sure it was going to fit. It was very stable and the cardboard felt thicker than this version.

I find this issue unacceptable considering its the central mechanic / gimmick of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bric wrote:
My wave was loose to almost being unplayable, it started to fall apart just sitting there. We pushed it back together before tipping it.

I can confirm that Laura's solution fixed it perfectly and elegantly - this is how it should have fit from the factory.

Thanks again to Laura, because in this game the components mean a lot.

Nice to as see the light blue post its look good like the black ones.

edit: ummm...I wish I could say auto correct but I was typing on my pc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I'm very sorry about the wave being a bit wobbly. When putting it together we were conscious of the risk of it being so tight that it caused it to tear or twist, so we tried to match it exactly to the original, but the card seems to have turned out ever so slightly thinner than the official 2mm (on at least some games it seems), and the notches were based on the original. It turned out to be only a very subtle difference between too tight and loose.

Well done to those people that have dreamed up a solution, we put a lot of effort into this game, and we really want it to be 100%. I think that solution is really clever and seems like it should work consistently and blend in well. I'd be very willing to be guided in creating a little illustrated guide to securing the wave if it would help.

Dann
(Art Director and Artist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Blank
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm very sorry about the wave being a bit wobbly. When putting it together we were conscious of the risk of it being so tight that it caused it to tear or twist, so we tried to match it exactly to the original, but the card seems to have turned out ever so slightly thinner than the official 2mm (on at least some games it seems), and the notches were based on the original. It turned out to be only a very subtle difference between too tight and loose.

Well done to those people that have dreamed up a solution, we put a lot of effort into this game, and we really want it to be 100%. I think that solution is really clever and seems like it should work consistently and blend in well. I'd be very willing to be guided in creating a little illustrated guide to securing the wave if it would help.

Dann

I still find the wave to be a little wobbly even with a set of post-it notes on all of the pieces, not just the verticals. I'm concerned that 2 sets will be too much so I feel kind of stuck. Honestly, I want it replaced because I'm really starting to miss my first edition copy due to this problem.

Your reply would seem to suggest that Game Salute would not be interested in helping us with replacements. Please confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i will have to say, i'm a bit sad that all the thickness of the pieces were so thick, and yet the biggest thing that needed to be thick wasn't, the wave pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brock
United States
Easley
South Carolina
flag msg tools
天 Heaven
badge
Master of the Fist (拳を極めし者, Ken o Kiwameshi Mono?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fix idea Laura. My group was very frustrated with it last night. Maybe Game Salute will issue some thicker boards but I wouldn't hold my breath. I didn't want to go tape crazy and mess up the great art. Just frustrating with everything else looking so good. Now off for some post-it notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Megan, its not really my place to offer replacements, but you can always ask Game Salute support and they'll do their best.

Just from a personal point of view, I think if it can easily be made tighter with some unobtrusive clear tape, then I don't think another print run of boards would be warranted. A costly reprint would make doing these sorts of ambitious and deluxe projects even more financially unappealing. Card games and the like are easy and I'd love to do more of these type of games with interesting components. So I'd prefer we learn from it, do the little fix and enjoy it. That's just my personal feeling of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
Hi Megan, its not really my place to offer replacements, but you can always ask Game Salute support and they'll do their best.

Just from a personal point of view, I think if it can easily be made tighter with some unobtrusive clear tape, then I don't think another print run of boards would be warranted. A costly reprint would make doing these sorts of ambitious and deluxe projects even more financially unappealing. Card games and the like are easy and I'd love to do more of these type of games with interesting components. So I'd prefer we learn from it, do the little fix and enjoy it. That's just my personal feeling of course.

Dan, while i value that stance, the wave in this game is one of the most critical parts to the said game, and to have to fix it up with tape and patch it up isn't really the best case fix, but I understand the cost associated with fixing something like this by reprinting the board. I would hope this was a printing error by the printers and they would agree to fix the issue, but i guess that rarely happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Blank
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the post-it notes it is still wobbly and definitely a downgrade from the original version. I know Game Salute is looking into this so I hope they take the issue seriously. It's the central gimmick of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing all this, I am glad I kept my original version of the game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
r1100rl wrote:
I fixed my wobbly, leaning wave by folding tape over the bottom edge of each slot on the vertical boards.

The "tape" that I used was the sticky part of a couple black post-it notes. Thus I can undo it without damaging the art.

I am probably missing something, but this picture doesn't look right. The boards won't slide in with the tape this way. Do I peel it back each time I setup the game and stick it to both parts connected there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

I am probably missing something, but this picture doesn't look right. The boards won't slide in with the tape this way. Do I peel it back each time I setup the game and stick it to both parts connected there?

The tape is not stuck to both parts nor peeled for use. Just tightly wrapped over the slot and onto the other side of the vertical boards (both sides look the same). Done on just the bottom edge the tape is not visible during normal use.

Why won't they slide in? Does the tape block them? If so, then you either need thinner tape or your wave was not as wobbly as mine. The idea of the tape is simply to make the slot thinner thus holding the boards tighter. My wave still wobbles a little but before the tape it was falling apart easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
r1100rl wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

The tape is not stuck to both parts nor peeled for use. Just tightly wrapped over the slot and onto the other side of the vertical boards (both sides look the same). Done on just the bottom edge the tape is not visible during normal use.

Why won't they slide in? Does the tape block them? If so, then you either need thinner tape or your wave was not as wobbly as mine. The idea of the tape is simply to make the slot thinner thus holding the boards tighter. My wave still wobbles a little but before the tape it was falling apart easily.

I was missing something. The tape is just making the slot smaller, right? I thought it was across the slot in the picture.

Thanks for the clarification if that is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
r1100rl wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
r1100rl wrote:

I was missing something. The tape is just making the slot smaller, right? I thought it was across the slot in the picture.

Thanks for the clarification if that is it!

That's it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
Hi Guys,

Dann

I'm sorry, but you are vastly misrepresenting the extent of the problem here. This is supposed to be the signature playing piece for this game and instead it is a cheap piece of flimsy cardboard.

While all other cardboard game pieces were extremely thick, much more than the average game, the wave board flexes like a cheaply made player mat.

Furthermore, the thicker the board, the easier it is to get better tolerances. So, quite frankly, your explanation and later attempts at whitewashing and downplaying your decision to cut costs on the signature piece of the game, as if Game Salute were the victim here, comes across as completely laughable utter hogwash.

If I had not purchased this game at a massive discount on Amazon, then I would be asking for a full refund.

You do not live and learn at the expense of your customers. If your business has any integrity whatsoever, you work your butt off to make your customers happy.

From your statements, it is clear that you were aware of this problem, and chose not to provide even a workaround for your customers. You claim to be innovative game publishers?

Then why didn't you use just choose to use thick cardboard, and if your choice of supplier was too cheap to ensure a decent tolerance, then a small piece of vinyl tape liner could have been used to give the slots some squishable leeway on tolerances, while protecting the cardboard itself from erosion caused through regular use.

Every time I have been forced to deal with Game Salute to obtain a game, I have had to hold my nose, based upon their reputation. This may be the last straw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
Just from a personal point of view, I think if it can easily be made tighter with some unobtrusive clear tape, then I don't think another print run of boards would be warranted. A costly reprint would make doing these sorts of ambitious and deluxe projects even more financially unappealing.
While the has definitely been run through the "PR translation machine", this is the truest thing I have every read from Game Salute. Let me run it back through the machine in reverse, and see what was actually said in plain English.

"My opinion is that Game Salute expects customers to fix Game Salute errors themselves, because we are too cheap to fix it for them. The only reason we do these projects is because we see dollar signs in our eyes, and don't actually think through what it will take to make it successful, because if we did think about it, like a competent company, well, then that would take too much effort."

My question would of course be, since every printer ever, since printing began, prints a test copy first, then has to get it approved, is this a case of:

A - Game Salute sees that it's shitty, and decides that it doesn't matter

or

B - Game Salute doesn't see that it's shitty, because they don't actually care about quality control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
My question would of course be, since every printer ever, since printing began, prints a test copy first, then has to get it approved, is this a case of:

A - Game Salute sees that it's shitty, and decides that it doesn't matter

or

B - Game Salute doesn't see that it's shitty, because they don't actually care about quality control

How about

C - Murphy happens.

That doesn't mean quality control has not merit nor that Game Salute couldn't improve on this, but life happens all the time. Getting yourself all uptight over something that really is easily fixed is quite the waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that it is not easily fixed. It is still a flimsy cheap piece of cardboard. Now improved with tape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
Except that it is not easily fixed. It is still a flimsy cheap piece of cardboard. Now improved with tape!

Mine works fine with two sticky parts of a black post it note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
icarusmustburn wrote:

Mine works fine with two sticky parts of a black post it note.

Mine doesn't fit fine. I used light blue post-it notes to more closely match the wave. Folded it back and forth three times and it made a big difference but it is not perfect by any means. Taped at back only. Even with trimming it is quite ugly.

Clear tape would take many more layers.

Also, I have never seen "black" post-it notes for sale in an office supply store. Only a white or light ink would show up and that is a speciality item. I only see one listing on amazon and it seems suspicious. Perhaps you meant something else other than a black post-it note?

A blue colored vinyl electrical tape could be used instead. Perhaps two or three layers. That might work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
Also, I have never seen "black" post-it notes for sale in an office supply store. Only a white or light ink would show up and that is a speciality item. I only see one listing on amazon and it seems suspicious. Perhaps you meant something else other than a black post-it note?

I got these about a year ago: Post-it Super Sticky Notes, 3 x 3-Inches, Black, 5-Pads/Pack (654-5SSSC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.