3 Posts

SET» Forums » General

Subject: Always the same winner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan dudududu
Brazil
flag msg tools
My problem with Set, wich, by the way i love, is that, in my situation, there is always the same winner each game. The one who has the better ability to find these patterns wins. It is a game that has more to do with your abstract solucioning capacity and in my opinion feels more like a test then a game.
Not that i don´t like the game, i do, and always get a few sets once in a while. But I see no way in developing skills to enhance much. You either have it or haven´t.
What´s your take on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, on the one hand, if two people play chess and one is better, that person will pretty much always win, and it's still a game. However, Set is much more basic, so there's probably a lower limit to how much one can improve with practice. Nonetheless, I'd say that while it is a lot like an IQ test in some ways, it is something you can get better at with practice.

But you may still always lose to a particular opponent. Which you'd just have to get used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Walker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have experiential evidence to suggest that Set can be learned.

I first played when my mathematician roommate introduced the game to me in undergrad. He beat everyone he played, at first. But we then began learning the simple pattern recognition required (after many games) to beat him. Soon, my roommate, my girlfriend, another mathematician, and I were all able to win alternately.

The game went back to the shelf for quite some time. Then two of our younger friends spent a Thanksgiving break playing it constantly. Though they were poor players before, they dominated the game when we returned from vacation -- games with them were like watching them play between themselves, even though four other heads were craned over the table.

I observed this same feat -- learning to play extremely well after a focused period of play among a small group of people -- over the next three years with my girlfriend (now wife) and her best friend and my roommate and his girlfriend (now wife).

All these people have at least a slight inclination toward or facility for the abstract, so I can't solidly conclude that Set is a learned skill. However, I think if you find a willing accomplice and play the game a lot, you'll find yourself improving more than you might imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.